PDA

View Full Version : Feat bloat, help me pick

Taebyn
2018-12-24, 01:49 AM
First world problems
Human variant fighter, and dm gave everyone a feat at level one. I have the following:
Sentinel
Pam
Gwm
Resilent wis
Alert (from magic item)
Main stat 20
(We are going to 20)

I have two current thoughts:

First:
prodigy
Skill animal handling
Expertise perception
Tool: riding saddle (If dm allows)
Language: x

Then mounted combatant

Second:
Tough, mobile

I won’t be taking lucky as I played a halfling diviner/bard with the luck feats previously.

In the past couple of years I haven’t seen anyone st my table use mobile. I’m wondering if it’s as good as it seems on paper? Open to suggestions. Thanks playground

bid
2018-12-24, 02:25 AM
In the past couple of years I haven’t seen anyone st my table use mobile. I’m wondering if it’s as good as it seems on paper? Open to suggestions. Thanks playground
Mobile is best on monk, where you have to run in and out of range. Fighters don't need it.
Tough is best on wizard who have 1d6 HD and low Con.

Foxhound438
2018-12-24, 02:50 AM
Mobile is best on monk, where you have to run in and out of range. Fighters don't need it.

^that. note also that typically mobile is better if you're playing on grid than in theater of mind, since you can place yourself tactically better if you have a map confining the area.

Note that boosting up con wouldn't be terrible, getting better con saves even by 1 or 2 can be the difference between life and death at high levels.

CTurbo
2018-12-24, 03:35 AM
Mobile is good on every single character and is never a bad option. Same thing for Lucky.

But....

As a Fighter, I very highly recommend Ritual Caster and/or Magic Initiate to give you some much needed utility. It will really really help your character in the other two pillars of the game where Fighters are really lacking.

Zhorn
2018-12-24, 06:35 AM
As a Fighter, I very highly recommend Ritual Caster and/or Magic Initiate to give you some much needed utility. It will really really help your character in the other two pillars of the game where Fighters are really lacking.

So much this. Even if I don't go down the EK path, access to Mage Hand and Light I find too good to pass up. Granted I tend to be in lots of underdark encounters without natural lighting, and had a DM that insisted of putting things just out of reach constantly... those cantrips alone make rolling with the punches that much easier...

CorporateSlave
2018-12-24, 11:32 AM
note also that typically mobile is better if you're playing on grid than in theater of mind, since you can place yourself tactically better if you have a map confining the area.

^that. I would find Mobile of dubious worth without a grid to make that extra two squares/hexes really could for something in combat. However, I disagree that a fighter "doesn't need it." Especially one with Sentinel, you need to be able to close with an enemy to make any use of that feat, and I've been in countless battles where the fighter gets bogged down by lack of mobility and can't get to his primary target. Not to mention the "Disengage +" feature lets you smack an enemy with Sentinel that is blocking your path and blow clean by them.

"Situational?" Most feats are to some extent. I have taken Mobile on many martial/rogue characters, and have yet to regret it even a little bit.

Taebyn
2018-12-24, 11:36 AM
Thanks for replies. I should have mentioned we use a hex map and that I’m not using magic on this character. I agree with what’s been said for the most part.

CTurbo
2018-12-24, 11:51 AM
Thanks for replies. I should have mentioned we use a hex map and that I’m not using magic on this character. I agree with what’s been said for the most part.

Well if you definitely don't want any magic, Mobile is a great choice. I wish all my character could have Mobile, Alert, and Lucky. Tough is boring but effective too.

LordNibbler
2018-12-24, 12:54 PM
You said you have your primary stat (assiming Str or Dex) at 20. How about Con +2? Can’t go wrong with more hp and better Con save.

Taebyn
2018-12-24, 12:59 PM
Con is 18 and I’m a brute. My saves are pretty well off.

djreynolds
2018-12-25, 08:40 PM
Then PAM. As it is more damage on all attacks.

But do not slouch on resilient wisdom, take it around 8th level.

Also, max stat is nice. +5 to hit and damage.