PDA

View Full Version : Novel #1

doliemaster
2007-09-22, 08:16 PM
Can anyone suggest some good novels? I'd prefer humor, but anything that isn't primary romance would be good, I'm trying to get a large amount of good books to read, so yeah, anyone know any good books?

A Rainy Knight
2007-09-22, 08:30 PM
Well, if you want to get into Warhammer 40k, I would highly recommend the Ciaphas Cain series by Sandy Mitchell. They're funnier than most of the 40k novels, and told from a very human point of view. Lots of action, certainly no romance... (Slight spoiler:)

Except for the things Cain tends to say about Inquisitor Amberly. :smallwink:

If you don't know what Warhammer 40k is, it's a science fiction tabletop game set in the year 40,000. Hence the name. Many novels have been spun into the setting.

2007-09-22, 08:30 PM
Any of the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer, also The Supernaturalist by the same guy.

Kushiel's Dart by Jaqueline Carry, and its following two books. They do have a love story, but its mostly intruigue and some soft-core sex scenes (it makes sense, trust me)

The Lust Lizard of Melancoly Cove I forget the guy who wrote this, but its pretty damn funny.

Operation Red Jerrico, another author who's name escapes me. Its for younger readers, but they're awesome 'interactive' books, with fold out maps and pictures and stuff.

Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside by Holly Black. Books about faries. They're good.

feghoot
2007-09-23, 12:47 PM
Watership down, anything by Douglas Adams or Poe is good.

Also Isaac Asimov writes some good stuff.

RTGoodman
2007-09-23, 01:08 PM
I second Douglas Adams, and also suggest anything by Neil Gaiman (American Gods, Anansi Boys, Stardust, etc.) is good. He's also got a great short story that pokes fun at Lovecraft called "Shoggoth's Old Peculiar." You can find it in one of his short story compilations (I think it's in Smoke and Mirrors).

If you haven't read it, Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game is essential reading for everyone (or, at least, it should be).

If you're into horror, check out Richard Matheson's I Am Legend and other short stories.

For humor, check out Christopher Moore. My favorite book by him is called Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. He's got a lot more, though I haven't read most of them.

Green Bean
2007-09-23, 01:23 PM
Shame on you all for not mentioning the Discworld series of books, by Terry Pratchett. They're humorous and enjoyable reads, and everyone I've talked to who has read them loves them (self included).

Semidi
2007-09-23, 01:42 PM
Good novels you will never read in English Class.

The Stand - Stephen King
Good Omens - Neil Gaiman & Pratchett
Dark Tower Series - Stephen King
The Watchers - Dean Koontz
Life Expectancy - Dean Koontz
Cabal & The Damnation Game - Clive Barker (Note: CB is extremely graphic and gory in his horror)
Dresden Files - Jim Butcher

"Good" novels you might read in an English class, chosen because they're not at all boring and they're easy to read.

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Breakfast of Champions, Slaughter House-5, and Cat's Cradle - By Kurt Vonnegut
1984 - George Orwell
Dracula - Bram Stoker

(Note: this is all just what came to mind first.)