PDA

View Full Version : Death note in English

zeratul
2007-09-22, 08:54 PM
Has anyone else seen the trailer for the English version of death note? If you haven't heres a llink http://deathnote.viz.com/ it's trailer 3.

I just saw it, and died a little inside. LIGHT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE THAT!!!!

Your thoughts death note fans?

doliemaster
2007-09-23, 12:37 AM
Oh crap, we had a great japanese anime with an understandable character, now he have Jack Chick brought to a new level,:smallfurious: ANOTHER great show whose Dub will suck.......Please tell me they won't ever let this Dubbed monstrosity out, or I might just be taking the terms immorality and sin to hard.......I'm just pretty sure Light didn't care about that stuff, just crime, since immorality isn't really cared about by him since he doesn't kill randomly, and sin doesn't matter since he plans on BECOMING a god.

DomaDoma
2007-09-23, 08:08 AM
Word is that they dumped this voice actor. I really, really hope so. Light. Is not. Brash.

I really can't see that weird, deep triumphant slur of his working in English, but if they did get rid of this guy and find a decent replacement, they'll manage.

Ranis
2007-09-23, 08:20 AM
English dub>Japanese.

Japenese voices give me a HUGE headache; plus, I want to watch my anime, not read it.

Tengu
2007-09-23, 08:28 AM
It's the opposite for me. Anime characters speaking in languages other than Japanese just don't sound right.

The Evil Thing
2007-09-23, 10:57 AM
English dub>Japanese.

Japenese voices give me a HUGE headache. Plus, I want to watch my anime, not read it.
Tell that to the fans of the original One Piece. Or, for that matter, anything that 2kids have laid their grubby paws on. Does the word "Macekre" mean anything to you? (Think Robotech and Akira)

Another problem with dubbing is that all the nuances and minutae that are important to the native language have to be edited out or the English will, of course, sound just plain weird. Even if the subbers don't do it, you can still pick up a few things.

Tengu, is that... avatar... of yours supposed to Gendo?

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-09-23, 11:14 AM
It's bad, but it could be a lot worse.
Considering the track record for dubbed anime, this is actually pretty good.

Mysticaloctopus
2007-09-23, 12:41 PM
Oh crap, we had a great japanese anime with an understandable character, now he have [Censored for the love of papa smurf] brought to a new level,:smallfurious: ANOTHER great show whose Dub will suck.......Please tell me they won't ever let this Dubbed monstrosity out, or I might just be taking the terms immorality and sin to hard.......I'm just pretty sure Light didn't care about that stuff, just crime, since immorality isn't really cared about by him since he doesn't kill randomly, and sin doesn't matter since he plans on BECOMING a god.

Please calm down doliemaster! There's no need whatsoever to mention that bastard, let alone capitalise his name

Lemur
2007-09-23, 01:05 PM
Heh, when I read the first post, I started imagining Light with the voice used for Seto Kaiba's dub. Maybe that would have been better, actually :smalltongue:

I can't say I'm really surprised, though. Most dubs aren't very good, and that's not just for anime, it's for most foreign language stuff in general.

BlackStaticWolf
2007-09-23, 01:24 PM
Oh for crying out loud... that is terrible. That is beyond terrible.

It is an absolutely horrible voice for Light. I can think of several english language VAs who would be FAR superior for the character.

English dub>Japanese.

This isn't about the original language being better or anything like that... this is about the voice being wildly inappropriate for the character. Light isn't character who gets angry when he talks about his goal. If anything, he should sound happy and proud, with an edge of amusement. Light may be a fanatic, but he's not the fire-and-brimstone zealot intoned by that voice.

tannish2
2007-09-23, 05:55 PM
people who cant read piss me the **** off. there, i said it. and before anyone reports this as offensive... THEY ARENT READING THIS. but seriously, read recreationally occasionally (try without pictures) and eventually subtitles will be as good as voices. sometimes better.

B-Man
2007-09-23, 07:48 PM
I'm rather annoyed that YTV took Death Note off of it's anime line-up for the fall. It was supposed to air on the 7th, but they made a last minute change and it is not sure if they are going to air the show at all any more. :smallfurious:

I had seen the third trailer awhile ago and I am not happy with Light's voice. I have never seen the Japanese version, but it didn't sound right for the Light that I pictured whilst reading the manga.

Serenity
2007-09-23, 07:55 PM
people who cant read piss me the **** off. there, i said it. and before anyone reports this as offensive... THEY ARENT READING THIS. but seriously, read recreationally occasionally (try without pictures) and eventually subtitles will be as good as voices. sometimes better.

For your information, I am one of the most avid readers that I know. When I get my grubby hands on a book I enjoy, I basically lock myself in my room and don't come out until I've finished. So, yeah, I find being accused of illiteracy because I'd prefer to watch TV rather than read it to be more than a little offensive. There is nothing inherently superior about watching anime in Japanese with English subtitles; the subs can easily be as bad as a dub.

Talkkno
2007-09-23, 08:58 PM
Somewhat off topic, but you have to admit Itachi's dubbed voice actor is pretty dam good.

zeratul
2007-09-23, 09:13 PM
Somewhat off topic, but you have to admit Itachi's dubbed voice actor is pretty dam good.

That he was, spike on Cowboy Bbeop had a good 'n too (all cowboy bebop voices were pretty good actually). I think itachis guy could do a good job as light...

The_Hunting_Enemy
2007-09-23, 09:24 PM
You must remember, that the series was not intended to be subtitled. The way to get the most out of an anime requires years of Japanese language classes and watch it pure. (Jap, no subs) Unfortunately, some of use don't have that sort of time, so the closest we get to how it was meant to be watched is subbed. I personally find english voice actors horribly shrill or twangy and it kills the character for me. (I know some people think the same for japanese, but I said 'I personally'. My opinion, not yours)

Just my opinion, If you don't agree, then thats yours, but don't go trying to change mine.

RationalGoblin
2007-09-23, 09:45 PM

I've never read the manga OR watched the subs, and that voice still sounds all WRONG. Also, is L supposed to sound uh, demonic? Or is the real demon talking? All in all, the only good thing about that trailer is the hilarously dramatic writing in a notebook. It amuses me highly.

Tengu
2007-09-23, 10:04 PM
Tengu, is that... avatar... of yours supposed to Gendo?

Indeed. Merry ol' Ikari Gendou.

Serenity
2007-09-23, 11:30 PM
You must remember, that the series was not intended to be subtitled. The way to get the most out of an anime requires years of Japanese language classes and watch it pure. (Jap, no subs) Unfortunately, some of use don't have that sort of time, so the closest we get to how it was meant to be watched is subbed. I personally find english voice actors horribly shrill or twangy and it kills the character for me. (I know some people think the same for japanese, but I said 'I personally'. My opinion, not yours)

Just my opinion, If you don't agree, then thats yours, but don't go trying to change mine.

I don't believe in anything that only works properly in one language. There are some concepts that one language might express more elegantly, but there simply can't be enough of that to make impossible a translation that overall communicates the ideas as well. It also strikes me as highly suspect to label all English voice actors 'shrill and twangy.' I'm not trying to change you mind, just stating my own.

tannish2
2007-09-23, 11:35 PM
true, but the how many good english voice actors have you seen? and how many bad ones? and since anime people can rely on fanboys (or the uninformed)to buy enough to make even crappy voice acting worth it they dont really have to worry about most people. quite frankly ide rather have a literal translation in text than crappy voice acting. then again good voice acting is... good?

Nevrmore
2007-09-24, 12:07 AM
For the record, I think the voice is just fine.

Xuincherguixe
2007-09-24, 12:43 AM
Well, I don't particularly mind the voice it's not really how the original voice actor was at all.

I almost inevitably find Anime better in subtitles. It would probably be even better if I actually understood Japanese. I should add that to my list of things to do.

But I don't hate this.

At least not yet :P

DomaDoma
2007-09-24, 02:41 PM
Also, is L supposed to sound uh, demonic? Or is the real demon talking?

That's his voice mask, silly.

pclips
2007-09-24, 03:27 PM
The voice was terrible for the character, but was much better in general than the anime dubs I have heard. They always manage to sound like Speed Racer to me.

But that voice, the angry self-righteousness? Not Yagami Light. Light's whole deal was that he was a coldly clinical thinker. Think of how externally calm he appeared even when it seemed he was nailed, and he was panicking on the inside...

That voice was maybe what Anakin Skywalker should have been like. Not Light.

Nevrmore
2007-09-24, 08:10 PM
The voice was terrible for the character, but was much better in general than the anime dubs I have heard. They always manage to sound like Speed Racer to me.

But that voice, the angry self-righteousness? Not Yagami Light. Light's whole deal was that he was a coldly clinical thinker. Think of how externally calm he appeared even when it seemed he was nailed, and he was panicking on the inside...

That voice was maybe what Anakin Skywalker should have been like. Not Light.
No...Light seemed a lot like an angry, self-righteous self-proclaimed god to me.

TheEmerged
2007-09-24, 08:16 PM
Disclaimer: I just recently read the manga -- every volume -- over the course of two days last week. So I may not have the emotional investment of others. Started and ended well, in my opinion, but dragged at one particular point in the middle.

Personally? The voice I heard my head when reading Light was the one for Leader Deslock from Starblazers. Go ahead and laugh. For L? I can't get passed the mental "Columbo" image and keep hearing what Columbo must have sounded like as a teenager.

I can't follow that link now -- work filters and all that.

Nu
2007-09-24, 08:20 PM

I've never read the manga OR watched the subs, and that voice still sounds all WRONG. Also, is L supposed to sound uh, demonic? Or is the real demon talking? All in all, the only good thing about that trailer is the hilarously dramatic writing in a notebook. It amuses me highly.

Well, that is one of the major things Death Note has going for it in my book. How hilariously over the top they are with the "dramatic scenes." Case in point (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Magil/epicwriting.gif). Also, Death Note episode 8 has the most epic potato chip eating I've ever seen on TV, anime or otherwise.

But seriously, the dub cast for the trailer was not the final cast, it's since been changed. And as for the guy who was asking about L's voice, and how he sounded "demonic," that is because L is speaking through a voice scrambler in order to mask his voice(he does this in the series as well on occasion).

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-09-24, 08:27 PM
Some last volume spoilers.

Light's voice in this is how I imagine him sounding towards the end of the last volume, or maybe how Mikami should sound.

TheEmerged
2007-09-24, 09:56 PM
RE: Epic Potato Chip Eating. Oh good grief, I bet I know which scene that must depict. I almost hate to imagine how they've dramatized it...

edit for clarification: this would be said with my face in my palm and a laugh track if it were said on network TV. I'm not complaining, I'm joking that I knew which scene he had to be talking about and yeah, it could be humorously overdramatized...

zeratul
2007-09-24, 10:05 PM
No...Light seemed a lot like an angry, self-righteous self-proclaimed god to me.

Here's the thing though. Light is an intellectual. cool collected, reserved, snarky. he's not blatant. This dude sounds like he listens to hardcore punk, drinks heavily, and hates his parents.

Nu
2007-09-25, 12:32 AM
RE: Epic Potato Chip Eating. Oh good grief, I bet I know which scene that must depict. I almost hate to imagine how they've dramatized it...

Whatya mean? It's fricken hilarious! It's scenes like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GW-9ZxVbXY&NR=1) that make the anime so fun. You just need to not take it so seriously (it IS just a shounen TV series, after all) and enjoy it!

TheEmerged
2007-09-25, 01:22 AM
Whatya mean? It's fricken hilarious! It's scenes like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GW-9ZxVbXY&NR=1) that make the anime so fun. You just need to not take it so seriously (it IS just a shounen TV series, after all) and enjoy it!

Okay, I fail at tone -- I meant that as a funny crack.

It's the exact scene I thought it was, and about the way I expected it to turn out.

Nu
2007-09-25, 02:07 AM
Well then good, because there are plenty of moments like that in the anime and it makes it quite the fun ride :smallbiggrin:

Eldpollard
2007-09-26, 04:33 PM

And posts like this make it hard for all of us to read.
For the record that voice made we wince, it was terrible. Not Yagami at all.

skreweded
2007-09-27, 11:53 PM
Oh my god. I just died a little. This was the first anime I watched all the way through, and i just recently did so (yea, i am kinda new to finishing things.) I might cry.

and I am not being sarcastic here.

Nevrmore
2007-09-29, 10:25 PM
Here's the thing though. Light is an intellectual. cool collected, reserved, snarky. he's not blatant. This dude sounds like he listens to hardcore punk, drinks heavily, and hates his parents.
At first.

There comes many times in Death Note when Light is reduced to an angry, blathering maniac, completely losing all semblance of calm, collected reservation.

skreweded
2007-09-30, 01:18 AM
I wouldnt say this guy sounds like that though, this guy sounds like a 12 year old who just decided to do what light did, but because it was fun, then tried to come up with an excuse so he could live with himself. Light really believed what he was doing, Light was an intellectual the whole time through, excusing once or twice where his plans went awry, he was really calm and collected. I would rather a voice that reflected that, and just got insane at a time to fit those situations, then one of a 12 year old.

turkishproverb
2007-09-30, 02:06 AM

Well, yes, but that is a scrambled voice. He's supposed to sound alittle crazy mroe than anything. Kind've like a teenaged version of "The Doctor" on Dr. Who. But his regular voice probably won't be like that.

DomaDoma
2007-09-30, 08:18 AM
There comes many times in Death Note when Light is reduced to an angry, blathering maniac, completely losing all semblance of calm, collected reservation.

Two, IIRC, and the effect is much more "totally off the deep end" than "whiny jerk".

Anyway, here's the list of the official voices. (http://www.animatedbliss.com/FORUM/forum_posts.asp?TID=4050)

So this is the final choice for Light. (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iVCZQVHjeqU) Still not great, but better. And this is the final voice for L (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3N9PcKEDm9s) - totally approve.

The 6th Side
2007-09-30, 08:22 AM
What I wanna know is who's gonna play Jealous

doliemaster
2007-09-30, 10:04 PM
Okay, looking over things, as long as they don't screw with Ryuk, I won't have any serious beefs with it.

DomaDoma
2007-10-20, 10:42 PM
The dub will air on Adult Swim in about fifteen minutes. Love to see your reactions!

Nu
2007-10-21, 03:00 AM
Ryuk's VA is awesome.

I'm not sure about Light. He could be good, or bad, depends on how he grows into well as more is revealed about Light.

And those are the only two VAs from this episode that matter.

hanzo66
2007-10-21, 03:40 AM
Saw it on Adult Swim's website.

Ahh, memories of the extravagant penmanship of Light are coming back to me...

Voices are good. I'm generally not a Dub Hater, so it's good for me.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-10-21, 04:08 AM
Anyone got a link so I can see it online?

Scratch that, I saw it on youtube.
And, wow. That truly was terrible, nothing as good as the subbed version IMO.

EvilElitest
2007-10-21, 09:44 AM
It's the opposite for me. Anime characters speaking in languages other than Japanese just don't sound right.

I don't care ether way, but only if the dubs are cool, i prefer English FMA to Japanese, but i watched darker than black and death note in Japanese and didn't have a problem. It is really who they get, but shows like One piece and Rurunei Kenshin (not the OVAs, those are awsome) are really hard to put up with in Japanese.
from,
EE

turkishproverb
2007-10-21, 11:21 PM
I don't care ether way, but only if the dubs are cool, i prefer English FMA to Japanese, but i watched darker than black and death note in Japanese and didn't have a problem. It is really who they get, but shows like One piece and Rurunei Kenshin (not the OVAs, those are awsome) are really hard to put up with in Japanese.
from,
EE

Kenshin Sucked in english.

And one-piece was butchered in English due to edits.

As to deathnote, the first episode was alright in english. not perfect but not bad.

zeratul
2007-11-03, 11:35 PM
Well I took the time to watch the dub and was pleasantly surprised. I thought Kiras father, and L were done very well. Light and Ryuk were okay, not amazing but okay.

It was actually a pretty good dub all things considered, especially compared to what I thought it would be like.

hanzo66
2007-11-04, 12:32 AM
And one-piece was butchered in English due to edits.
Luckily 4Kids aren't doing the One Piece Dub anymore. Funimation are. There should be relatively less edits now.

skreweded
2007-11-05, 12:34 AM
I have heard good things about Funimation. I might watch it at that point.

Oh, and i saw an episode of deathnote in english. Not to terribly horrible, didnt make me want to kill someone, but i still couldnt finish the first episode. Oh well, enjoyed it in japanese.

Rutee
2007-11-05, 12:45 AM
I actually dont' mind the dub. Haven't seen enough to comment on Light's accuracy, but L and Ryuk seemed spot on.

Also, I want ominous latin chanting when I write ;.;

TheEmerged
2007-11-05, 08:14 PM
3rd episode has aired. I'd have to check the manga to be sure, but they seem to be emphasizing the psuedo-relgiious elements more in the anime. Right now I'd call it "good enough to continue recording."

There's one thing I can't get out of my head though. Before I saw any of the episodes, I saw a short video someone did putting scenes from Death Note to the intro tune from Pinky & the Brain. Now I can't get Pinky's voice for Ryuk out of my head; I keep mentally translating the voice actor into Pinky. It's somewhat distracting, but comical :D

I believe next ep is the "epic potato chip", yes?

DomaDoma
2007-11-05, 10:05 PM
I believe next ep is the "epic potato chip", yes?

Nope. The bus incident.

doliest
2007-11-05, 10:15 PM
Love Ryuks voice-seriously
Voice-Dark Creepy
Lines & character-Humor with slight cynicism.

The Pink Wonder
2007-11-06, 04:26 PM
I've watched the first 2 episodes of the english dub, and it wasn't that bad... but not that great either. I guess it's because I got so used to hearing the japanese voices that it sounds weird hearing other people playing the characters