PDA

View Full Version : So what company will wave the 3.e flag now?

Particle_Man
2018-12-24, 12:29 PM
So when wotc switched from 3.5 to a new edition, Paizo put out a similar game (informally sometimes called 3.75) and it did quite well.

Now that Paizo is moving on to a new edition what company or companies that are not Paizo and not Wotc will take up the flag and publish ogl material compatible with 3.x stuff? Or will there be any?

Mike Miller
2018-12-24, 01:19 PM
Probably no one

Morty
2018-12-24, 01:20 PM
I don't think WotC has any incentive to bring back support for 3.5. So yes, probably no one.

Florian
2018-12-24, 01:29 PM
Well, that would be a business opportunity, handled on a plate.

Still: No one.

Silly Name
2018-12-24, 01:39 PM
I would have to agree with the "no one" sentiment. Maybe a fan-project could pop up from time to time, but I expect those would be mostly on the internet. That said, I don't see any big company who would be willing to invest time and resources in supporting discontinued systems.

Pex
2018-12-24, 02:14 PM
I agree probably no one, but if there is a company who just might anyway it would be Dreamscarred Press.

Florian
2018-12-24, 02:24 PM
I agree probably no one, but if there is a company who just might anyway it would be Dreamscarred Press.

The 3PP dilemma: They do fine as an external supplier to an already existing system, quality products and all that, but they lack the means to step up and stop being 3PP.

EccentricCircle
2018-12-24, 02:36 PM
I'd guess that an increasing number of companies will continue to offer their back catalogues on Drive Thru RPG, but I can't see another big 3.x system like pathfinder. At this point there isn't really a need for one, so long as the old books stay available. There are already at least three ways to do anything in 3.x. The official Wizards of the Coast way, the trendy Pathfinder way, and probably a few competing options from the original third party boom.

Pathfinder filled a niche because you couldn't get the 3.5 books anymore. But every time I look on drive thru I see more and more of the old books for sale, even if they are pdfs rather than print on demand. I've been able to fill a few gaps in my collection.