PDA

View Full Version : Save enhancing items and martial adepts

Dhavaer
2007-09-22, 09:24 PM
Are cloaks/vests of resistance worthwhile for a warblade focussing on Diamond Mind?
With Moment of Perfect Mind and Mind Over Body, and a +24 Concentration modifier, Fortitude and Will saves aren't really a big worry. Is it worth buying a cloak of resistance just for Reflex saves and to cover me between initiating the counters and recovering them?

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-22, 09:47 PM
That would depend on your dex and int scores, really. Is your reflex bad? Its not like Cloak of Resistance is a very expensive item, compared to other buffs.

Dhavaer
2007-09-22, 09:48 PM
Only compared to my Concentration. +7.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-22, 10:07 PM
Well, if you only need reflex, I read one of the books that said that giving bonuses only to one save costs half that of a bonuses to everything.

Proven_Paradox
2007-09-22, 10:27 PM
I'd get the items anyway. The problem with your current approach is that if you need to make two fortitude or will saves in a row, you're in trouble without your maneuver. You won't need your saves as much, but you will need them sometimes.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-09-22, 10:44 PM
Indeed. During battle you can only use a given maneuver one time. After that you have to regain your maneuvers somehow (waiting X amount of time without conflict, using the method given in your class's description, etc.) to use it again.

martyboy74
2007-09-22, 10:44 PM
There's a maneuver that lets you replace a reflex save with a concentration check. The only problem, is, as stated, needing to make more than one in a row (of the same save).

You'll probably be fine, unless combat tends to last a while
(more than 5 rounds) in your games.

Xaros
2007-09-23, 01:48 AM
Not to mention that you only get one immediate action per round, and that consumes your swift action for your following round (so no recharging with the Warblade after using one of the Concentration-based save maneuvers).

Saph
2007-09-23, 06:08 AM
Yeah, you have to remember that you can usually only use Moment of Perfect Mind/Body/Whatever once every two rounds.

Many of the really nasty things out there hit you with a lot more effects than that. We just had a fight yesterday against an acid-spraying golem that forced a Reflex and a Fortitude save every time it sprayed acid - and it sprayed acid every time it took a good hit. Anyone relying on Mind over Body to prevent the Constitution damage would have been in trouble.

- Saph