PDA

View Full Version : help me find an old splatbook

Griffincat
2018-12-24, 10:53 PM
Way back in the summer of 1996, I saw a booklet in a gaming shop in Iowa that had griffincats as a new creature type/NPC. Pretty sure it was a one shot or splatbook for ADnD. I didn't buy it because I was beyond broke.

Anyone know the booklet in question? Once I have a title, I can try to find a copy. Why? I want the origin story of my online namesake

Thanks for your help!

Digitalelf
2018-12-25, 09:02 AM
Are you sure of the name "Griffin-Cat"? Was it an otherwise "normal" cat, only with wings?

Like this perhaps: http://www.infobarrel.com/media/image/203587_max.jpg

Need a little more of a description if you're able to provide one. :smallsmile:

Griffincat
2018-12-25, 09:50 PM
OK, filtered though the sands of time of 22-odd years.

The griffincat was a small creature. In the splatbook, I remember that it was a female with a litter. I think that the art depicted something like a grey tabby with feathered wings. A possible outcome in the splatbook was that you could befriend the mother griffincat and she would fly/teleport you up a mountain, one party member at a time.

Oh, and this was in the US.

Digitalelf
2018-12-26, 01:58 PM
OK, filtered though the sands of time of 22-odd years.

Yeah, time is not necessarily kind to our memories...

What you describe does not ring any bells for me, at least for a product that TSR produced/released back in the day.

It could have been from a third party publisher such as Judges Guild or Mayfair Games, or from one of the British RPG Magazines of the era (e.g. White Dwarf & Imagine - which did appear here in the US from time to time).

Sorry I couldn't have been of any greater help. :smallfrown:

LibraryOgre
2018-12-26, 03:37 PM
I keep thinking tressym. tbh, from Haunted Halls of Eveningstar.

Griffincat
2018-12-26, 06:46 PM
It's a long shot, I know, but I don't know where else to look.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Particle_Man
2018-12-26, 08:47 PM
The teleporting feature reminds me of the Blink Linx from the old Endless Quest book Mountain of Mirrors. The lynx could talk and teleport, and was an ally, but did not have wings.

But that was 1982.

Digitalelf
2018-12-27, 12:21 PM
I keep thinking tressym. tbh, from Haunted Halls of Eveningstar.

Yeah, that and the Greater Winged Cat from the City of Delights boxed set for Al-Qadim.