PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Magical Traps and save DC

Melcar
2018-12-25, 09:49 AM
Hellow fellow scriborinos...

So on page 67 of the DMG it says that unless a spell or items says otherwise, assume the following to be true. It then goes on to say that a magical trap can be avoided with a successful save against a DC of: (10+spell level) x 1.5.

My question is this: If I create a magical trap, with a spell that does not have allow a saving throw, can the trap (and the effect of the spell) then be avoided by a save as indicated, or is this where the the: "unless otherwise stated" comes into play?

My thought was to have Mordenkainen's Sword be the spell in the magic trap. But since there is no save on that spell, I would assume the trap allowed not save either, but the wording is a it unclear to me.

Furthermore, the cost of the magical traps are 500gp x spell level x caster level, but is this the marked price or the construction price? Normally you pay half the marked price in construction cost, but how about traps?

Thanks

Falontani
2018-12-25, 02:20 PM
It would not allow a save, because of the condition you stated. Afb atm, but usually if it is the market price it just lists the gold price, if it is the construction price it will also list an xp price. Questions like this are usually better asked in the RAW thread.

Melcar
2018-12-26, 10:54 PM
Thanks...

Another question...
If I have 5 spell traps on my spell book and I cast Hidden Ward once on the book, would the spell traps get the benefit From Hidden Ward?