PDA

View Full Version : [Campain] The Grand Masquerade

Psionic Dog
2007-09-22, 09:50 PM
The Grand Masquerade

One year ago...
You sit with the throbbing crowd in the arena watching as the treason trials come to an end. Last week half the nobles in the land sequestered themselves in the king’s private estate to discuss the most sensitive matters of the kingdom, and the harsh punishments punishments passed on spies did little to prevent the next batch from trying. Only 200 individuals are allowed into the palace, but 34 spies were still caught or killed. 35 if one counts the unidentified familiar. You watch as a wizard declared guilty of enchanting imperial guards to gain illegal entry is tossed bound and gaged into a glass parana tank. Last week your employer had four individuals sneak in. A rouge with ring of invisibility (now a dead arrow pincushion), a bard who impersonated a guard (apparently killed by an assassin in a murder attempt on the king), and an expert con-artist disguised as one of the nobles (sentenced to 2 years in a salt mine when the real duke’s cousin got wise). Only the monk disguised as stable hand walked out free. While the gossip he brought back is valuable, as a lowly stable hand he never learned any of the really juicy secrets. You cheer with the rest of the crowd as the assassin tries to fight a five headed hydra with only a quarter staff, and you resolve that when you walk in next year you will be one of the few that also walks out free with rich info.

Every year the nobles of the Second Stone Circle Empire meet in the royal private palace to review land grants, ore and gem strikes, expansionist policies, and more. The information shared during the week long summit is highly confidential, extraordinarily valuable, and closely guarded. The palace itself is located on a demiplane and accessible only by three portals. Legal entry to the plane is granted to a select group of guards and staff as well as nobles on a pre-defined list who are limited to five companions.

Ok, I'm considering running a (long) one-shot campaign where the PC's are spies trying to steal valuable information. To make it interesting, ever other organization who wants to be "in the know" has sent their own spies.
It would be mainly RPing and skill heavy with a light seasoning of combat, and would last for one IC week, give or take.

So, has anyone ever DMed a intrigue game before have advise? Will this style of play work, keep the players interested, and not grow stale? What is the best ECL for the PC's to have favorable odds of success, yet not be assured of success or even be the highest level characters present?

This would be my third campaign to DM, so I'm still new at this. What do experienced DMs (and players) think?

Neftren
2007-09-22, 10:11 PM
If it lasted longer, say we're trying to escape afterwards and we're on the run... then I would definitely play.

Psionic Dog
2007-09-22, 10:30 PM
If the PC's are escaping on the run, that would imply they failed and were discovered.

I suppose if it needed to be longer the plot could include using the information for mega profit (like a claim-jumping race. PCs Vs Other successful spies Vs Rightful Owner) or just jailbreaking fellow PC's who were discovered. At the moment I'm not planning that far. It would be more of a: See how it works, then plan sequel.

Neftren
2007-09-23, 07:59 AM
Well, I would definitely play if there was no 1 In Character Week time limit. Makes for a short game in my mind.

Me: "I Steal the Gem."
DM: "What? No you don't."
Me: "I made my check!"
DM: "Uhh yeah but we have a week to go."

Maybe your plot should be that we've been sent to steal this gem. We steal the gem during the first week sometime, but are caught escaping the castle. The story shifts to how we're always one or two days ahead of the other spies and the rightful owner's guards etc.

Or, I being a PC, steal this gem, then take a wrong turn, ending up in the dungeons, come across the rest of the party. I break em out and run for it, continuing in the plot above.