PDA

View Full Version : Multi-class spell casting, do I understand upcasting correctly

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-26, 12:28 AM
Let's say I run a Bard all the way to Level 19. Then on a whim since the Bard has met Pelor, and there is nothing left to learn as a Bard, she decides to take a level in Cleric.

Can the Bard 19 / Cleric 1 really upcast Level 1 Cleric Spells like Inflict Wounds or Cure Wounds all the way up to Level 9?

BarneyBent
2018-12-26, 12:32 AM
Yep. I can’t imagine why you’d want to though.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-26, 12:51 AM
Yep. I can’t imagine why you’d want to though.

Its just an option I wanted to make sure I understood.

Greywander
2018-12-26, 03:30 AM
You would, however, be limited to only 1st level cleric spells (as if you were a 1st level cleric), but yeah, you can upcast those spells to 9th level. The way multiclassing works, there's no distinction between spells slots from one class or another. So yeah, you know a 1st level cleric spell, you have a 9th level spell slot, no reason you can't upcast that spell to 9th level.

MinMaxMunchking
2018-12-26, 06:29 AM
I suggest Hexblade instead of Cleric, because Charisma.
In fact start with Hexblade first, because it's so godamn good.
Because every topic ultimately ends with Hexblade.
Hexblade

P.S. Hi guys. New member, old soul, hope you accept me.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-26, 10:44 AM
I suggest Hexblade instead of Cleric, because Charisma.
In fact start with Hexblade first, because it's so godamn good.
Because every topic ultimately ends with Hexblade.
Hexblade

Why one level of Hexblade?

I'll need a patron also, right?

This PC/NPC met Pelor in a game I wasn't running amd I have dropped some "Pelor I hope you help us now" lines so that almost seems natural now.

Dalebert
2018-12-27, 07:06 PM

A p i x i e !

pdegan2814
2018-12-28, 12:34 AM
Let's say I run a Bard all the way to Level 19. Then on a whim since the Bard has met Pelor, and there is nothing left to learn as a Bard, she decides to take a level in Cleric.

Can the Bard 19 / Cleric 1 really upcast Level 1 Cleric Spells like Inflict Wounds or Cure Wounds all the way up to Level 9?

Your spell slots are determined by adding together your caster levels according to the formula in the PHB chapter on Multiclassing(in this case, you'd have the spell slots of a 20th level spellcaster).

Your spells known are determined separately for each class, using your level in that class. So your spells known would be those of a 19th level Bard plus a 1st level Cleric. So you could only know 1st-level Cleric spells, but you could use any of your spell slots to cast them, even 9th-level slots. Your spell attack modifier & Save DC would key off the spellcasting stat for the class you used to obtain the spell, regardless of which spell slot you cast it from.

Particle_Man
2018-12-28, 02:35 AM
Does your bard 19 have a wisdom score of at least 13? You will need that to get the level in cleric.

Chronos
2018-12-28, 09:53 AM
Of course, also note that it's quite possible to worship a god, and even to be devoutly religious, without being a cleric or other priestly class. Like, one of the ways that my arcane trickster's personality developed, as that campaign went on, was that he became more religious. I didn't switch to cleric, I didn't start describing my spells as being granted by Selune, and I sure as heck didn't take orders from the temple, but I did start carrying a holy symbol with sentimental value and praying a lot more.

Particle_Man
2018-12-28, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I did that with a rogue in a 3.5 game, which turned out to be an undead-palooza. Due to that, and getting healed at the temple of Pelor, I started carrying around a lot of holy water! :smallsmile:

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-28, 10:53 AM
Does your bard 19 have a wisdom score of at least 13? You will need that to get the level in cleric.

EXACTLY 13 as luck would have it. We rolled, this character as my first 5e experience about 3 years ago and she has like 5 odd stats. I figure it will stay at 13 unless something bad happens. We rolled height, weight, everything I tell you lol.