PDA

View Full Version : where can i find high level monsters and traps?

King of Nowhere
2018-12-26, 10:40 AM
the core manuals (the only ones I have) have very few high-CR monsters and traps. Furthermore, most of those are sapient, so you can't just kill them as a random encounter.

Can someone point me to an online collection of high level challenges? Thanks

Icarium
2018-12-26, 10:59 AM
I think you can find some in the ELH.. Don't got the books in front of me tho, so not sure..

King of Nowhere
2018-12-26, 11:26 AM
the elh does indeed have some challenges, but most of those are too strong. i'm looking at around CR 15-20 stuff.

DeTess
2018-12-26, 12:00 PM
Most monsters will be in monster manuals 1-5, as well as the draconomicon and fiendish folios. There will be some monsters scattered throughout other books as well, but the monster manuals will have most of them.

Mike Miller
2018-12-26, 01:27 PM
I believe it is 3.0, but The Book of Challenges probably has something useful for you. If not exactly what you want, it should give you some good ideas.

reddir
2018-12-26, 01:58 PM
You can always add Templates to the monsters which you already have. PFSRD is a great site for templates, and also many monsters.

denthor
2018-12-26, 03:49 PM
High level trap.

10' covered pit. 8' full of curdled cream. Armor sinks you. Ropes are slippery. You must take time to clean the armor equipment. Your front line fighter does not have armor class. Stinks allows creatures with smell to get a bonus on knowing they are coming. Traps are not deadly just a way to inconvenience the players.

Uses spells and allows time to work against the pc's. They may just leave out of frustration.

reddir
2018-12-26, 03:52 PM
High level trap.

10' covered pit. 8' full of curdled cream. Armor sinks you. Ropes are slippery. You must take time to clean the armor equipment. Your front line fighter does not have armor class. Stinks allows creatures with smell to get a bonus on knowing they are coming. Traps are not deadly just a way to inconvenience the players.

Uses spells and allows time to work against the pc's. They may just leave out of frustration.

OMG! Some scones and jam and this is a great picnic spot!

Eldariel
2018-12-26, 04:54 PM
This site (http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de) could be helpful. Advancing monsters works too, of course. Off the top of my head, Fiend Folio and Monster Manual II, in addition to having lots of mis-CRd things, have lots of high CR things. MMIII has a number too (Deathshriekers, Cadaver Collector, Brood Keeper, Death Giant, Eldritch Giant, Battle Titan, etc.). The site also gives a significant number of entries for Libris Mortis and MM4, and some for BoED, BoVD & Planar Handbook.

High CR traps, any high level spell traps suffice of course.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-12-27, 02:30 AM
IIRC, the second monster manual and fiend-Folio both skew a little on the high side. Neither is great about accurate CR on the whole though. If you're willing to do a bit of extra work, templates can push stuff up a few notches too.

For traps, Dungeonscape is hard to beat and a great resource besides.

Good luck.

unseenmage
2018-12-28, 03:38 AM
Multiheaded and Tauric templates from Savage Species can offer up a range of CRs.