PDA

View Full Version : Spell Clarification

carrdrivesyou
2018-12-26, 12:06 PM
Leomund's Tiny Hut basically makes a 10ft sphere, centered on the caster. The way I read it though made it seem that whoever was inside is able to see out, but those outside can't see in. Additionally, Nothing can enter the sphere from outside, once the spell has been cast.

This leads me to 2 questions:

1. Is my interpretation of the spell correct?

2. Can the caster/occupants enter/exit the sphere as they please?

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-26, 12:13 PM
Leomund's Tiny Hut basically makes a 10ft sphere, centered on the caster. The way I read it though made it seem that whoever was inside is able to see out, but those outside can't see in. Additionally, Nothing can enter the sphere from outside, once the spell has been cast.

Yes, except the caster cannot leave. Up to nine medium creatures that happen to be within 10 feet of the caster when the spell is cast can move in and out, but nothing else can. If the caster leaves the dome, the spell ends.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-26, 12:19 PM

Yes on both, with a few caveats:

The caster cannot leave, or it will end the spell.

[Edit] Sniped by the Milkman!

Jeremy Crawford has said that the intent of the spell was to allow objects to be moved by creatures out of the dome, but they cannot leave unoccupied (such as being fired from an arrow). So you can carry an arrow out, but you cannot fire an arrow out of it, as the "permission" to cross the barrier is granted per person, not per object. Or, at least that's the intent as stated by Lead Designer JC.

DarkKnightJin
2018-12-26, 01:14 PM
It's essentially a sort of 'bunker' to make resting in hostile territory less hazardous.

That's the reason why my Soldier Death Cleric was allowed to have it as a domain spell. Along with 7 others.

It's niche, but if you don't feel 100% secure somewhere, having someone that can cast this to make your Rest a little less stressfull.. It's very welcome.

BaconAwesome
2018-12-26, 03:00 PM
Jeremy Crawford has said that the intent of the spell was to allow objects to be moved by creatures out of the dome, but they cannot leave unoccupied (such as being fired from an arrow). So you can carry an arrow out, but you cannot fire an arrow out of it, as the "permission" to cross the barrier is granted per person, not per object. Or, at least that's the intent as stated by Lead Designer JC.

Crawford's rulings on Tiny Hut are weird.

1) There's no floor.

2) Arrows can pass through when held by a person but not when shot.

3) The hut is transparent to dragon breath attacks because they are neither an object, a spell, nor a spell-like effect.

https://www.google.com/search?q=leomund%27s+tiny+hut+sage+advice

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-26, 04:08 PM
Crawford's rulings on Tiny Hut are weird.

1) There's no floor.

2) Arrows can pass through when held by a person but not when shot.

3) The hut is transparent to dragon breath attacks because they are neither an object, a spell, nor a spell-like effect.

https://www.google.com/search?q=leomund%27s+tiny+hut+sage+advice

I can understand #1. It's mostly an orb that fills in open space with no floor of its own.

#2 is mostly for balance reasons. I get it. The official writing of the spell doesn't really match that interpretation, but I get it.

#3 is just plain dumb, due to the game's description of what actual magic is. I can kinda get behind the fact that a dragon's breath can put an elf to sleep, but the fact that it goes through Tiny Hut is really dumb.