PDA

View Full Version : Any PrC for fighting undead

Mike Miller
2018-12-26, 02:41 PM
What are some prestige classes for fighting undead? I plan on running Age of Worms and I want to throw some ideas to my players before hand so they don't get stuck in roles that won't help against the main enemy type.

I already know of the Radiant Servant of Pelor and Skullclan Hunter. What other options are there? I am sure there must be more.

Palanan
2018-12-26, 03:09 PM
The Knight of the Raven, from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, is designed around fighting undead. You get 9/10 divine spellcasting, smite undead, turn undead, the Sun domain and some other light-related goodies.

It's also a full BAB prestige class, with good Fort and Will saves, so there's some support for melee as well as casting.

Wartex1
2018-12-26, 03:09 PM
If you're fine with 3.0 material, Ghostwalk has quite a few iirc. The main one that comes to mind is the Bone Collector from that book.

Troacctid
2018-12-26, 03:28 PM
There are zillions of them.

Some of them include Deadgrim, Enlightened Spirit, Eye of Horus-Re, Hunter of the Dead, Illumine Soul, Knight of the Raven, Master of Radiance, Morninglord of Lathander, Pale Master, Paragnostic Apostle, Sacred Purifier, Silver Pyromancer, Skullclan Hunter, Stalker of Kharash, and Tenebrous Apostate.

Khedrac
2018-12-26, 05:22 PM
Sacred Exorcist is another excellent one not yet mentioned.

ShurikVch
2018-12-28, 06:40 AM
Doomguide (Faiths and Pantheons)
Foe Hunter (Masters of the Wild) - choose the "Undead" as a Hated Enemy
Hierophant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/hierophant.htm) - 1-level dip, choose the Mastery of Energy
Soldier of Light (Deities and Demigods)

If magazines are available, then:
Infused Warrior or Infused Spellcaster (Dragon #321) - 2-level dip, infused with Ghaele: +1d4 damage vs. Undead
Mourner (Dragon #311): bardic PrC which can paralyze, damage, and destroy Undead via bardic music, and gets Cha to saves vs necromantic effects
Sinker (Dragon #287): Entropic Blow - the signature Smite-like ability of this PrC - deals 4 damage per class level to Undead (among other things); up to 5/day
Sworn Slayer (Dragon #324): 5-levels-long PrC, which is strongly resembling the Foe Hunter, gives Nemesis bonus feat (without actual need to be [exalted]), and it's Death Attack-look-alike explicitly will work on Undead
Wormhunter (Dragon #338): Smite Undead gift will allow to inflict critical hits and Sneak Attacks on Undead (required Turn Undead, and Spiritual Conduit - another gift, so it's at least 3-levels-dip?)

RedMage125
2018-12-28, 10:12 AM
Worm hunter is even specifically written FOR Age of Worms, although, flavor wise, it requires that the PCs have finished Champions Belt and have read the Apostolic Scrolls.

I just ran AoW 2 years ago, and the party rogue took a cleric dip, and his prestige classes went back and forth between thief-acrobat and skull clan hunter. It ended up being very good. A great way to keep a rogue relevant in an undead heavy campaign.

Anthrowhale
2018-12-28, 03:15 PM
I'd recommend looking at the ravenloft ACFs for undead killing as well. They are applicable from level 1 which seems potentially very useful.

Mike Miller
2018-12-28, 03:48 PM
I'd recommend looking at the ravenloft ACFs for undead killing as well. They are applicable from level 1 which seems potentially very useful.

Any idea which books to look in?

Anthrowhale
2018-12-28, 04:04 PM
Any idea which books to look in?

"Expedition to Castle Ravenloft". Pretty much everything is highly relevant in an undead heavy campaign.

Malphegor
2018-12-28, 04:32 PM
if you want an oddball one, amusingly dread necromancer (heroes of horror) might be useful to take on the undead.

Take control of them, then dump them in acid or something.

Just don’t summon/create new undead and you have a fight negative fire with negative fire situation.

CactusAir
2018-12-29, 06:12 AM
Ghostbreaker from Hyperconcious is a Psionic prestige class for undead deadifying.

It's pretty unique. full manifesting, 3/4 BAB is a niche already even without it's Psionic turning and other features

Knaight
2018-12-29, 06:55 AM
There's also some which aren't necessarily aimed at fighting undead but which are particularly effective due to type interactions, immunities, etc. The Effigy Master, for instance (also technically the Greenflame Adept, but at that point you're less good at it and more marginally less terrible). Arguably the Uncarnate and Alienist as well, to some extent.

ShurikVch
2018-12-30, 01:06 PM
Kingdoms of Kalamar have the Order of the Slayer and the Living Blade of Kotesh PrC
The "Order of the Slayer" is the name of both - organization, and the original PrC, and the Living Blade of Kotesh is looks like the "Order of the Slayer 3.5"
Both PrC are got full BAB, good Fort, d8 HD, 2+ skill points, and able to cast small number of divine spells (from a very small list); also:
Light, at will
Detect Undead, at will
Hide from Undead, at will
Death's Embrace - protects corpses from turning into Undead or their souls being stolen; may be also used on Undead - as a touch attack - to destroy them instantly; using on corpses is at will, and take 1d6 minutes; using on Undead was originally 25% effective (Living Blade of Kotesh limited it to Cha mod./day, and replaced percentage chance with a Fort save)
Rebuke Undead (Living Blade of Kotesh - Turn Undead)
Remove Disease, 1/day (Living Blade of Kotesh - 2/day)
Smite Undead (+1 damage per class level, +1d6 damage every three levels), 1/day
Healing Circle, 1/day (Living Blade of Kotesh - Mass Cure Light Wounds, 1/day)
Restoration, 1/day
+4 to all Will saves
The Living Blade's Oath: A potential member must swear an oath in the presence of three current members, as well as promising to abide by the rules of the Order. A knight who breaks any of the rules makes himself subject to possible expulsion from the Order. Rules vary slightly depending upon region, but all sects follow these rules:
A member may have no personal possessions other than armor, weapons and mounts (this does not include currency).
Members are forbidden to swear oaths to anyone other than a member of the Order.
A member must immediately attack any undead sighted and fight to the death, as long as the member is not disobeying a superior or putting innocents in harm’s way by doing so.
A member may only retreat from opponents his same size or smaller if he is outnumbered by more than 3 to 1.
A member may not discuss the Order’s business with those outside the Order.
The oath is as follows: "I beseech thee, O Kotesh, bless my hand with thy strength. I swear my sword to your service, as a scourge against they who return from the hallowed grave. I pledge to be just in attack and defense, the terror and dread of all evildoers. I will do my duty to my liege, while never faltering in my service to your Order. I will be brave, loyal, generous of spirit and courteous. I will go to the true death honoring these words."