PDA

View Full Version : Redirect spells toward the Spellfire Wielder

Yogibear41
2018-12-26, 03:49 PM
Is there anyway to force or redirect enemy spells targeted at other party members to target the character using a readied action to absorb spells via his Spellfire Wielder ability? Preferably an ability the Wielder himself can take, not an ability the other characters have to take.

tyckspoon
2018-12-26, 04:20 PM
Ring of Spell Battle (very useful item anyway!) and Spellblades (absorb a specific named spell and can then redirect it/release it at a different target, useful for Dispels or if you know your DM likes to have everything use Magic Missile or similar) are the main ways I can think of. There may be a counterspell-related ability that lets you do that, but the only ones I can think of immediately only throw it back at the caster and don't allow arbitrary retargeting.

Sian
2018-12-26, 04:29 PM
If it's an spell that makes an attack roll, then getting Harm's Way (Either from Devoted Defender in S&F, Maquar Crusader in FR:SS, or the Dutiful Guardian feat tree in DotU) seems a reasonble way to do it, as long as the ally in question is adjacent to you ... Another option would be to go Knight (from PHBII), and use Test of Mettle, which forces a Willsave on all your enemies, and if they fail it, they'll have to focus fire on you

Feantar
2018-12-26, 05:02 PM
If the spell is an attack (touch or ray usually, but orbs count as well) the luck feat Good Karma allows you to redirect the attack to yourself with an immediate action (so maybe the spell-fire wielder could do it themselves?). You can buy luck feats, see complete scoundrel.

Yogibear41
2018-12-26, 05:32 PM
How do you "buy" luck feats I don't see that part in the book.

Feantar
2018-12-26, 08:33 PM

The book describes certain locations that give feats, and give them an equivalent WBL value. So, depending on your campaign, you can re-skin it however you feel it fits (training, site, spell, boon, whatever), but keep the WBL static so it doesn't unbalance your game. It is the court of thieves special ability, and costs 6000. Page 145.

Blackhawk748
2018-12-26, 10:18 PM
A Knight can do it with their Challenges. IIRC its 4th level.

unseenmage
2018-12-27, 02:13 AM

Feats in Magic Items sidebar in Arms and Equipment could work too, GM willing.

IIRC its 10,000gp to put a feat in an item plus 5,000gp per prerequisite. Do you have to have the prerequisites to use such feats? That, sadly, remains a mystery only your GM can resolve.

Blackhawk748
2018-12-27, 01:43 PM
Feats in Magic Items sidebar in Arms and Equipment could work too, GM willing.

IIRC its 10,000gp to put a feat in an item plus 5,000gp per prerequisite. Do you have to have the prerequisites to use such feats? That, sadly, remains a mystery only your GM can resolve.

No, because Im failry certain there's the Cleaving property for Weapons and it doesnt require you to have Power Attack.