PDA

View Full Version : how to kill your own character if the dm is keeping them alive

ziroks
2018-12-26, 04:18 PM
so as the title states I cant die, now for a bit of a background so that you guys and girls get a bit of a idea what is going on.

So, this is a 3.5/pathfinder and we can use anything from official books from either.

I am the rogue and being forced to be the trap finder who uses double daggers while I stated before the first session that I was planning to play her as a diplomatic rogue. Well okay fine I dont mind doing trap finding but through the campaign I have kept my perception and disable at max and always rolled low in the start so I would trigger them and get hurt which is fine but we get to lvl 5 and our special tattoos make our major state which mine is dex goes up by 12 points making my now 20 a 32. we slug through another ten lvl and here I am with a 52 skill check to perception on traps and 45 non, disable is at 55 and so is my stealth. So I should even on a 2 I trigger traps and dont see them.
now I forgot to take my advanced rogue talent last session which was a month ago now mind you, and asked the dm if I could take it before we entered the new temple cult place and he said yes so I to Skill Mastery making it so I dont have to roll and just can take ten on six of my skills. making my perception 62 and disable a 65 at our current lvl 15, what do I find with my freaking pretty much godly perception? a simple rope trap a lvl 1 rogue can find.

now I have died to bad calls of high or low and got killed by a over sized cat with razor sharp claws that shredded my heart, stepped on god knows how many traps, the more notable ones was a two stage trap I missed because he a 40+ to perception wont spot that then two golems came out of the walls and crushed me. I got set on fire taking so much that even our dwarf in heavy armor may think that would hurt alot, now all of these time I have been considered dead and brought back by one of the gods of tricks and thieving, now why would a god like that want anything to do with a rogue who clearly can not rogue.

Oh before I forget speaking of send off, so my rogue early on in the campaign at like lvl 2 we were all sitting around a fire while guarding a cart or something and I asked everyone what they would do if they had unlimited money and did not have to go out adventuring or what their reasons were for going out doing this, everyone gave their reasons and I stated that I wanted to own a inn some where and get my family over there to run it with me. now at lvl 15 we got a strong hold but it needed to be build so I told the dm that I wanted to look for a building in town that I could buy with my saved up money and pay people to run it in the background while I kept on adventuring so it was no stress on the dm besides telling me how much there is left over after everyone got payed, he told me and I quote "that is to much ****ing work, I am not dealing with that ****." now a few lvls before that we discovered that we had been asleep for 2000 years or so, after realising this my character became more quite because you know, you just found out that everyone you ever loved is long dead and you got no one left to go home to and that most likely the place you knew is gone.

There also was some tentacle rape going on between two tentacle sprouting possessed allies and no one but the player who got the raping was asked before the session if they were okay with it but no one else was asked, also in that same temple at the raping thing my character losing her mind seeing everything in a room as traps besides the spot she was standing on. so yeah that is a blast.

now how do I kill my own character to the point where not even a god can resurrect her, I can just leave and that would be the end of the campaign but I at least want to give my own character some sort of send off plus I got 10 Shuriken that do 70d6 with each 10d6 being split between all the energy types so I could just hit myself with those or fall on them but I feel that I would be resurrected by the god again so something more powerful will be needed. I got like 108,575 gold pieces to spend on my death just if that helps anyone with ideas

Lapak
2018-12-26, 05:24 PM
If things are as you have described, the problem is not killing your character. Your problem is that the group (and particularly the DM) are awful and you should just quit the game completely. A change of character is not going to fix this.

ziroks
2018-12-26, 05:34 PM
If things are as you have described, the problem is not killing your character. Your problem is that the group (and particularly the DM) are awful and you should just quit the game completely. A change of character is not going to fix this.

that maybe for the best, I feel bad because that character has been through alot of bad stuff that was out of her control but a death is better then non.

Kish
2018-12-26, 05:48 PM
Clearly, your character has done something very bad, and what you thought was a group adventuring campaign is actually her Ravenloft domain.

Crake
You don't have to kill your character, you can just retire them. What's stopping you from saying "My character isn't coming with you on the next part of this adventure, they take their money and magic items and use them to buy a nice quiet inn where they can live in peace, fall in love, and die happily of old age in their sleep.... here's my next character, a crazy, no-ties murderhobo who dun gief a fek".

Darrin
Ok, I hope you don't take this the wrong way... but it sounds like the best way out of that game is to permanently move to a new state, file restraining orders against all participants, and then anesthetize your brain with heavy dosages of vodka and narcotics. It doesn't sound like you're playing an RPG, it sounds like you're playing Advanced Calvinball with the DM in full GAWDMODE.

The real question here is not how to permanently kill your character in a narrative you have no control over, but how are you going to afford the therapy to recover.

Just... Your post... So many RED FLAGS... I can't even...

flappeercraft
2018-12-26, 05:54 PM
Best way to do so is to get rid of your soul. Can't bring back your soul if there is nothing to bring back. Dying from age also stops most ways of resurrecting as does just not being willing to be brought back.

Florian
2018-12-26, 05:59 PM
Have a talk with the GM before the next session. Be so open and tell him the truth that you don't want to play this character anymore and be done with that. That's an out of game problem and should be solved as such, no need for trying to find any in-game solutions for it.

ziroks
2018-12-26, 11:31 PM
Have a talk with the GM before the next session. Be so open and tell him the truth that you don't want to play this character anymore and be done with that. That's an out of game problem and should be solved as such, no need for trying to find any in-game solutions for it.

I voiced my opinion before and was given a item to shut up

ziroks
2018-12-26, 11:32 PM
Ok, I hope you don't take this the wrong way... but it sounds like the best way out of that game is to permanently move to a new state, file restraining orders against all participants, and then anesthetize your brain with heavy dosages of vodka and narcotics. It doesn't sound like you're playing an RPG, it sounds like you're playing Advanced Calvinball with the DM in full GAWDMODE.

The real question here is not how to permanently kill your character in a narrative you have no control over, but how are you going to afford the therapy to recover.

Just... Your post... So many RED FLAGS... I can't even...

I would if I did not have the dm as a friend and he is a beast of a man that one should not piss off.

Particle_Man
2018-12-27, 12:07 AM
Just say the game is not fun for you and so you are going to do something else instead. If he is a friend that should be enough for him to still be your friend even if you stop gaming with him. If that is not enough then he isn’t really your friend after all, so just stop showing up.

Twurps
2018-12-27, 05:23 AM
Seconding Florian: this is an 'out of game' problem, and should be adressed as such. further emphasized by this:

I would if I did not have the dm as a friend and he is a beast of a man that one should not piss off.

ANY game (or even any activity) involving a group of people trying to have fun, will take communication. A LOT of communication. You need to communicate which kind of game you like, which kind of 'optimization level' which pace in game, which pace out of the game, etc etc. Heck I play chess competitively. Nobody is supposed to talk during a game of chess. Even there people change clubs because they like the 'mores' of a different club better.
If you (and presumably others) are not voicing your 'out of game' opinions on a regular basis, for fear of the DM's reaction, then this group is never going to function.

Furthermore:
Anyone pretending to be your friend should not get 'pissed off' when hearing your opinion. Anyone playing d&d should not get pissed off if somebody else wants to retire his own character. So if you expect 'pissed off-ness' to happen, that's a red flag on both accounts.

So my advice:
Talk to your DM about what you want out of the game, and give the both of you a chance to work this out. (And no, the previous effort does not count. For all we know: he's super proud of himself for making the game fun for you again with a magic item.)

IF the pissed off-ness happens: Talk to him about that, work it out, and go back to the previous step without the pissed-off bit.

Only if all that fails:

Just say the game is not fun for you and so you are going to do something else instead. If he is a friend that should be enough for him to still be your friend even if you stop gaming with him. If that is not enough then he isn’t really your friend after all, so just stop showing up.

Malphegor
2018-12-27, 12:21 PM
No D&D is better than bad D&D. Get out if you can, I say.

Now, alternatively, you are a being ****ed over by the gods who cannot die. If you believe that in-character, then there’s some fun to be had exploring that- now that you know this, there is nothing stopping you going Power Stupid and, I don’t know, climbing inside a red dragon’s mouth while it sleeps, covered in goosefat.

If you can’t get out, I in no way endorse anyone breaking anyone’s campaign with a suicidal character but I also do not endorse certain methods of doing so such as attempting to drown your character, hanging, ingesting sharp objects, attempting to parachute without a parachute, attacking your allies and feigning being posessed by the eldritch being Iwannadie, diving into a trap naked, seducing then breaking up with every elven maiden you find, preferably dark skinned ones who hang around spiders.

Do ‘not’ do these things. it will only bring misfortune and death to your character and a ‘totally sweet release’ from the issues in their cursed life.

denthor
2018-12-27, 12:56 PM
Keep careful track of hit points. Forget to get healing from the cleric. Push forward to become a front line fighter in combat.

When your down keep track of rounds. Know when your bleeding out. If one of the others heal you. You have 5 hit points attack from the front. Get hit go down even more negative then bleed out. Just go through you hit points in the least cautiously possible. Eventually you will have 2 or 3 hit points get it for 20 your death is a game mechanic.

tstewt1921
2018-12-27, 01:08 PM

You know...I'm not the biggest fan of this option, I know it can be an option, but people who live in small towns (as I do) and other circumstances may not be able to actually just quit a game and find another....It can be harder to find another group, especially if you aren't keen to doing it online through forums or other means.

16bearswutIdo
2018-12-27, 01:09 PM
Reading this has made me much more confident in my ability to run a game that my PCs enjoy. Each and every new sentence in the OP's post was a "wtf" moment for me.

Lapak
2018-12-27, 01:47 PM
You know...I'm not the biggest fan of this option, I know it can be an option, but people who live in small towns (as I do) and other circumstances may not be able to actually just quit a game and find another....It can be harder to find another group, especially if you aren't keen to doing it online through forums or other means.
If it was just the DM finding every possible way to make the character ineffective, ok, I have toughed out terrible games before. But introducing tentacle rape to a game without everyone's buy-in is a red flag so big you can see it from space. This group has no sense of boundaries AND no desire to make sure everyone is actually enjoying the game; where is the up side in continuing to play?

I like to read books, but if the only books available were stories I hated and also the pages were razor-sharp and gave me paper cuts every time I turned a page? I wouldn't keep reading on the theory that 'any books are better than not reading.'

Ashtagon
2018-12-27, 02:18 PM
No gaming is better than bad gaming.

ziroks
2018-12-28, 01:05 AM
Reading this has made me much more confident in my ability to run a game that my PCs enjoy. Each and every new sentence in the OP's post was a "wtf" moment for me.

your welcome, atleast something good came from it

ziroks
2018-12-28, 01:07 AM
Keep careful track of hit points. Forget to get healing from the cleric. Push forward to become a front line fighter in combat.

When your down keep track of rounds. Know when your bleeding out. If one of the others heal you. You have 5 hit points attack from the front. Get hit go down even more negative then bleed out. Just go through you hit points in the least cautiously possible. Eventually you will have 2 or 3 hit points get it for 20 your death is a game mechanic.

that wont work as we will just get ressurected by "the gods" for a unknown reason

16bearswutIdo
2018-12-28, 09:45 AM
Why not just directly tell him: "I don't want this character to be resurrected/I don't want to keep playing this character."

I see someone else told you that in this thread and you said the DM told you to shut up. My advice then is to tell the DM that he isn't your &*^*ing boss and show up with a different character sheet.

zlefin
2018-12-28, 10:59 AM

so get a restraining order.
aside from that though, the simple answer is: it's not possible.
The most severe form of death you could get is from a Deck of many things.
but no form of death, no matter how severe or absolute in the rules, matters against the DMs decision to bring the character back anyways. also pretty sure there's no RAW way that can't be overturned by an overdeity.

TheIronGolem
2018-12-28, 04:22 PM

1. Just because you're friends with someone doesn't mean you're obligated to play D&D with them. See Geek Social Fallacies (http://plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html), particularly #5 ("Friends Do Everything Together"). If dropping out of his D&D game means losing him as a friend, that's not a friendship worth hanging onto anyway. Friends don't expect friends to endure misery for their own enjoyment.

2. Are you serious about that second part? Are you truly saying that dropping out of this guy's D&D game would enrage him to the point of endangering you physically? If the answer is no, then don't say things like that, it isn't helpful to anyone. But way more importantly, if the answer is yes, then never mind the freaking elfgames, you need to be taking steps to cut this jackass out of your life pronto.

Malphegor
2018-12-28, 04:27 PM
that wont work as we will just get ressurected by "the gods" for a unknown reason

So, we need to kill the gods.

Tricky.

Telonius
2018-12-28, 04:48 PM
I'll throw my 2cp in with everybody saying that you should get out. From several of the posts since the OP, it's pretty clear to me that this is beyond garden-variety DM douche-ery, and crossing the line into very abusive behavior. If you're concerned for your safety over something as simple and silly as quitting a game, get the police involved and get as far from this guy as you possibly can.

Mystral
2018-12-28, 05:10 PM
so as the title states I cant die, now for a bit of a background so that you guys and girls get a bit of a idea what is going on.

So, this is a 3.5/pathfinder and we can use anything from official books from either.

I am the rogue and being forced to be the trap finder who uses double daggers while I stated before the first session that I was planning to play her as a diplomatic rogue. Well okay fine I dont mind doing trap finding but through the campaign I have kept my perception and disable at max and always rolled low in the start so I would trigger them and get hurt which is fine but we get to lvl 5 and our special tattoos make our major state which mine is dex goes up by 12 points making my now 20 a 32. we slug through another ten lvl and here I am with a 52 skill check to perception on traps and 45 non, disable is at 55 and so is my stealth. So I should even on a 2 I trigger traps and dont see them.
now I forgot to take my advanced rogue talent last session which was a month ago now mind you, and asked the dm if I could take it before we entered the new temple cult place and he said yes so I to Skill Mastery making it so I dont have to roll and just can take ten on six of my skills. making my perception 62 and disable a 65 at our current lvl 15, what do I find with my freaking pretty much godly perception? a simple rope trap a lvl 1 rogue can find.

now I have died to bad calls of high or low and got killed by a over sized cat with razor sharp claws that shredded my heart, stepped on god knows how many traps, the more notable ones was a two stage trap I missed because he a 40+ to perception wont spot that then two golems came out of the walls and crushed me. I got set on fire taking so much that even our dwarf in heavy armor may think that would hurt alot, now all of these time I have been considered dead and brought back by one of the gods of tricks and thieving, now why would a god like that want anything to do with a rogue who clearly can not rogue.

Oh before I forget speaking of send off, so my rogue early on in the campaign at like lvl 2 we were all sitting around a fire while guarding a cart or something and I asked everyone what they would do if they had unlimited money and did not have to go out adventuring or what their reasons were for going out doing this, everyone gave their reasons and I stated that I wanted to own a inn some where and get my family over there to run it with me. now at lvl 15 we got a strong hold but it needed to be build so I told the dm that I wanted to look for a building in town that I could buy with my saved up money and pay people to run it in the background while I kept on adventuring so it was no stress on the dm besides telling me how much there is left over after everyone got payed, he told me and I quote "that is to much ****ing work, I am not dealing with that ****." now a few lvls before that we discovered that we had been asleep for 2000 years or so, after realising this my character became more quite because you know, you just found out that everyone you ever loved is long dead and you got no one left to go home to and that most likely the place you knew is gone.

There also was some tentacle rape going on between two tentacle sprouting possessed allies and no one but the player who got the raping was asked before the session if they were okay with it but no one else was asked, also in that same temple at the raping thing my character losing her mind seeing everything in a room as traps besides the spot she was standing on. so yeah that is a blast.

now how do I kill my own character to the point where not even a god can resurrect her, I can just leave and that would be the end of the campaign but I at least want to give my own character some sort of send off plus I got 10 Shuriken that do 70d6 with each 10d6 being split between all the energy types so I could just hit myself with those or fall on them but I feel that I would be resurrected by the god again so something more powerful will be needed. I got like 108,575 gold pieces to spend on my death just if that helps anyone with ideas

I was expecting you to end your post with the fact that your group is called the aristocrats.

arkangel111
2018-12-28, 07:49 PM
I don't agree with this mantra, "no gaming is better than bad gaming" clearly you have never had to go without for years at a time.
I say embrace it! play it up, you already have phenomenal cosmic power (for a rogue), and effective immortality to go with it. wake the tarrasque! sit on the lich kings throne! pluck out the eye of a god! either he'll get the idea that you want to die or you'll have some amazing adventures. either way it lets you keep playing and you can make the whole adventure memorable.

The Eternal DM
2018-12-28, 08:24 PM
I dont know if this would work for you but have you thought about DMing your own campaign with your friends?

PaucaTerrorem
2018-12-28, 11:53 PM
So, we need to kill the gods.

Tricky.

But in all seriousness this could be the answer. Make it your groups mission to kill the gods. Once done coupe de gras yourself and whisper “Peace, at last.”

Nightcanon
2018-12-29, 05:55 AM
I was expecting you to end your post with the fact that your group is called the aristocrats.

Beautiful!
To the OP: the way you describe your friend the DM, it doesn't sound like he's much of a friend.