PDA

View Full Version : Eberron, Faerun, and mixing settings

Albions_Angel
2018-12-26, 04:45 PM
Hi all,

So I have this homebrew world, largely greyhawk inspired, custom gods, but otherwise standard, default rules. I have tried to stay away from Faerun and Eberron because it tends to complicate things, and many of the monsters and races that I care about were reprinted in the MMs (warforged, for example). Thing is, theres a lot of stuff from Faerun and Eberron that would work, but also a lot of stuff that is setting specific, and I am not well versed in either realm.

So, if I am building a non-forgotten realms/eberron world, what things do the Giants think I NEED to include? I want artificier in there, but is there a succinct way to say "All classes, feats and spells from these books, EXCEPT THESE ONES THAT DO THIS THING BECAUSE IT WONT WORK WITHOUT THE SETTING". Is there a set list Giants tend to use?

Palanan
2018-12-26, 05:02 PM
I don't know if there's a list per se, since DMs will tailor their worlds according to individual preference.

There are a few character options from the Forgotten Realms which won't work without some aspect of the setting, such as feats tailored to the Weave; but these can usually be smoothed over pretty easily. I think it's more a question of how much you as the DM want to include.

Troacctid
2018-12-26, 05:05 PM
You can adapt pretty much anything. It's mostly just a matter of what changes you need to make, and that's going to vary substantially based on the particular content you're adapting.

Feantar
2018-12-26, 05:20 PM
For Eberron, removing Dragonshards and Dragonmarks would nullify a couple of spells and items as well as a lot of PRCs and, most importantly, metaplot. If you also remove elemental binding, you remove their flying ships. Remove grafts and symbionts to remove all the more icky factors. You don't have to pay attention to the deathless because without the manifest zone, they are not possible.

With these you removed a lot of Eberron flavour without crippling anyone much (although I'd suggest giving alternative foci to classes like unbound scroll, because without dragonmarks they are inaccessible). Removing action points is a bigger issue however, as many classes use them in Eberron and are designed around them - and they are not as easy to replace as feats.

Faerun is... different, especially if you mean the whole of the Forgotten Realms. It has a thousand tiny things that might change your setting and it's not easy to pinpoint them. Remove Shadow Weave Magic, Initiate of [Faerun Deity] feats, Mythals, Circle Magic, Spellfire, Faerzress and/or possibly all of the Underdark and Undermountain. There's still a boatload of tiny things, such as scepters, Phaerimm, a boatload of Artifacts and settings within setting (Al'Quadim, Rokugan, Kara-Tur), the brokenness that is the Sarrukh etc.

Crake
2018-12-26, 05:32 PM
You'll probably find the easiest method to deal with this is to say "All things in setting specific books will need a look over by me to make sure they're approriate to the setting" and just do a double check of everything when people choose those things

Kelb_Panthera
2018-12-27, 02:21 AM
Kitchen sink DM here, IME the overwhelming majority of material works just fine as is. Even the setting specific stuff, eg dragon shards and things that interact with the weave, is pretty easy to file the serial numbers off of and use too. That is, if you even want to do so. A lot of stuff can just be slotted in if you're running a custom world anyway.

To answer your question; "Just about everything is available unless it requires something that conflicts with the setting. If you're not sure, ask first," is the most succinct way I know to say it.

Crichton
2018-12-27, 10:03 AM
Kitchen sink DM here, IME the overwhelming majority of material works just fine as is. Even the setting specific stuff, eg dragon shards and things that interact with the weave, is pretty easy to file the serial numbers off of and use too. That is, if you even want to do so. A lot of stuff can just be slotted in if you're running a custom world anyway.

To answer your question; "Just about everything is available unless it requires something that conflicts with the setting. If you're not sure, ask first," is the most succinct way I know to say it.

I like that outlook. Thanks for sharing it