PDA

View Full Version : Limited fast healing.

krossbow
2007-09-23, 01:01 AM
Anyways, I kind of like the idea of fast healing that eventually fails. Its a logical theory that I would like to apply to D&D, that no matter how much something can heal itself, stress it too much and it will be unable to spring back. Its an often done tactic in series featuring regenerating enemies, where the opponent will simply hammer it till they exceed the opponents ability to heal and overload it (so to speak).

What I was thinking was having enemies that have fast healing pools, wherein their fast healing draws from this pool till its empty, at which point it stops functioning till they rest.

I was wondering what you guys would suggest converting this into CR when you alter an enemy in this way?

Generally, I have used this with the enemy having a pool equal to double their HP, and double their fast healing rate to compensate when I've used it.

Nebo_
2007-09-23, 06:49 AM
It probably wouldn't effect CR much at all; the creature is going to die anyway. It would only really matter if it ran away and came back again later. For PCs with fast healing, it would be a significant change.

Darth Anthony
2007-09-23, 07:05 AM
I agree. Leave the CR alone, but draw from the 'regeneration pool' you described. You should also create a recovery time and rate for the regeneration pool (X points per time period).

PhallicWarrior
2007-09-23, 08:48 PM
Or make it like Wolverine's health in X3: the game. Have it always regenerate up to a point. For instance,

Exile is fighting Darth Sion, who has 100 HP. Exile gets the first attack, and deals 12 points of damage. As that is more then one tenth of Sion's HP, the damage stays- partially. He regenerates back up to nine-tenths HP unless the damage he takes brings him down a tenth-HP threshold.

TheGrimace
2007-09-23, 10:28 PM
Or make it like Wolverine's health in X3: the game. Have it always regenerate up to a point. For instance,

Exile is fighting Darth Sion, who has 100 HP. Exile gets the first attack, and deals 12 points of damage. As that is more then one tenth of Sion's HP, the damage stays- partially. He regenerates back up to nine-tenths HP unless the damage he takes brings him down a tenth-HP threshold.

that didn't explain things well to me.
so, Exile takes the first 12 damage, and he would heal 2 of it, to bring him up to 90.

then he takes 8 damage, and heals 8, to bring him up to 90

but then he takes 21, and since he's brought down all the way to the 7/10 mark, he only heals 1 of it, to bring him up to 70?

Now, if I understood that properly, does he instantly regen it? or a number of points a round?