PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Player starting a Shrine/Temple

Gerner
2018-12-27, 05:33 AM
Hi all

Mine spiller vær sød at forlad denne tråd 😊

I am DM’ing a campaign, in which one of my players a Dwarven cleric of Moradin have learned that the city has a community of dwarfs (700-1.000) but no dwarven deity, so now he wants to start a shrine/temple for Moradin.
I have some ideas of challenges he will be facing starting up, but I would like some more ideas. This is taking place in Melvaunt.

Current Ideas:
• Creating a support to this idea in the dwarven communities (made a list of the important dwarf factions in the city)
• Financing the building
• Political issues:
o Building permissions difficulty depends on where the building is taking place
o Purchasing spot in an already filled city
• Other Deities in the city not all are to welcoming of another place of worship

tstewt1921
2018-12-27, 11:13 AM
All of those are good ideas as basically monkey wrenches to throw into his plan to make him work for it. You also could add do the dwarves want to worship Moradin, or do they already worship someone else?

Florian
2018-12-27, 11:27 AM
Are you open to use Pathfinder material? Ultimate Campaign has a lot of stuff that is geared towards exactly that.

Kayblis
2018-12-27, 11:41 AM
There are some sources for organization creation and construction littered around many books in 3.5. I believe the Complete Adventurer has basic rules on Organizations, and the Stronghold Builders Handbook is great for building anything from a store to a castle.

Gerner
2018-12-27, 05:57 PM
I am already considering that some of the Dwarfs are worshiping Gond who has a temple in the city, and he is not to fond of Moradin establising as he could "steal" worshipers.

I am open to most content also pathfinder :) if any good material is to be found.

Thanks I will have alook at the complete adventure, I already had some looks in the Stronghold Builders but that is alot on the financing

Florian
2018-12-28, 01:22 AM
I am open to most content also pathfinder :) if any good material is to be found.

PF Ultimate Campaign includes a section for Downtime Rules. That includes such stuff like creating and buying any kind of structure or team to run it, including an abstraction how the initial cost is broken down (between monetary, political favors and magic stuff)

Note that we're talking about reasonable prices and a working system, unlike those you find in Sronghold Bulders Guidebook and the PHB II.

You can find an interesting expansion to the downtime rules in the Player Guide to Hell´s Rebels, which modifies the team rules to model running the orga for a rebellion and shows how handling the teams can mesh with regular character-level adventuring.

PF Ultimate Intrigue includes a sub-system for getting insight into and influence with NPCs and Groups. It´s a solid expansion of what can be done with the skill system and is a far cry above the stupidity that is the Diplomacy skill.

(This gets used in the War for the Crown AP quite a lot. Pretty efficient system)