PDA

View Full Version : Is Dragonlance crunch worth it?

Braininthejar2
2018-12-27, 08:11 AM
Anything good to be found there?

Jopustopin
2018-12-27, 09:54 AM

I really think the Nightstalker base class (Races of Ansalon) is really cool and unique. I've never gotten to play as one though. Phaethons in the same book is probably one of my favorite races if you're into flaming wings and LA buy-off. The Mystic is a better version of the favored soul.

Crichton
2018-12-27, 10:41 AM

Krynn Minotaurs let you play a Minotaur race that doesn't have LA. I've had 2 players want to play as Minotaurs, and importing the Krynn variant is the only way we've been able to accomodate without LA.

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-27, 11:03 AM
If I recall correctly, Reserves of Strength can be found in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting.

For those of you who don't know, it allows you boost your caster level by up to 3, in exchange for being stunned or taking damage (if you have stun immunity).

It also removes the cap on spells that have a maximum effect based on caster level, like Fireball being limited to only 10d6 of damage.

zfs
2018-12-27, 11:48 AM
Academic Priest and Dynamic Priest, both from the Legends of the Twins supplement, are both pretty amazing feats if things outside of the DLCS book are allowed. Lets a divine caster use either Int (Academic) or Cha (Dynamic) for calculating bonus spells and highest spell level. Doesn't affects DCs, though.

Kish
2018-12-27, 11:52 AM
Dragonlance mechanics are very specific to the Dragonlance setting and themes. If you're not using a setting designed for a Manichean conflict at every level, there's no advantage in (say) making all mages declare lifelong allegiance to Good, Neutrality, or Evil at the start of their careers and then be influenced by one of three moons.

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-27, 12:56 PM
Academic Priest and Dynamic Priest, both from the Legends of the Twins supplement, are both pretty amazing feats if things outside of the DLCS book are allowed. Lets a divine caster use either Int (Academic) or Cha (Dynamic) for calculating bonus spells and highest spell level. Doesn't affects DCs, though.

The former feat is awesome for Archivists in particular. The latter is good for classes like Healers, Favored Souls, ect.

ayvango
2018-12-27, 01:05 PM
The reserves of strength feat from the wizards. And some third-party material:

war mage prestige class
white dragonspawn template
undead battery feat

Palanan
2018-12-27, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jopustopin
The Mystic is a better version of the favored soul.

I love the mystic, and for me it justified the purchase of the DLCS.

Clistenes
2018-12-27, 01:55 PM
If your are a munchkin, giving the Sacred Watcher template to your Golems is a must...

Malphegor
2018-12-27, 01:58 PM
If I recall correctly, Reserves of Strength can be found in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting.

For those of you who don't know, it allows you boost your caster level by up to 3, in exchange for being stunned or taking damage (if you have stun immunity).

It also removes the cap on spells that have a maximum effect based on caster level, like Fireball being limited to only 10d6 of damage.

That is... A very nice feat that I wished I knew nothing about as it is delicious in its ease to boost caster level.

(also uncapping stuff would break so much stuff...)

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-27, 02:13 PM
That is... A very nice feat that I wished I knew nothing about as it is delicious in its ease to boost caster level.

It is, there are all sorts of game breaking shenanigans you can do with it. :smallsmile:

Crichton
2018-12-27, 02:29 PM
It is, there are all sorts of game breaking shenanigans you can do with it. :smallsmile:

Even without game-breaking stuff, even just using it on pre-buffing your party to make it last longer, be harder to dispel, etc... Out of combat a few rounds of stun is nothing.

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-27, 02:39 PM
Even without game-breaking stuff, even just using it on pre-buffing your party to make it last longer, be harder to dispel, etc... Out of combat a few rounds of stun is nothing.

That is absolutely true. And the prerequisites for the feat are light, just Iron Will. The same feat you need for Incantrix.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-12-27, 03:11 PM
For non-game-breaking CL boosts, Elder Giant Magic is a nice one (not Dragonlance--it's Eberron).

In Dragonlance, Undead Battery is way broken, but pretty awesome. The Sea Mage is a nice full-casting PrC you might (with a generous DM) be able to use with flying carpets (if that counts as a ship). Ogre Titan is one of the few templates with a big intelligence boost on it, but it's got seriously high LA.

daremetoidareyo
2018-12-27, 03:58 PM
The inquisitor prestige class allows you to add your ranks in concentration to a skill check with a wis or int based skill. That's fantastic.

ShurikVch
2018-12-28, 06:59 AM
Some more feats:
Tremendous Charge - allow to use your mount's Str for damage during the mounted charge
Hulking Brute - basically, "Powerful Build, the feat"; required Minotaur or Half-Ogre, but since Half-Ogre is also template... :smallwink:
Strafing Breath - useful for Dragonfire Adept (and other Breath Weapon users); AFAIK, wasn't printed anywhere else