PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How to retire my character

ProsecutorGodot
2018-12-27, 08:17 AM
I've been playing a Warforged Inquisitive through Dragonheist+Dungeon of the Mad Mage. I've been enjoying the character quite a bit but recently a lot of circumstances have lined up and I'm becoming convinced that this character would rather retire into the career he's been building than continue to explore the dangerous and deadly Undermountain.

I've got the choice of having him retire, the DM and I have talked it over a bit but I'm unsure of what direction to take it.

For reference:
-After securing the Hoard of Dragons and returning it to the city, Laeral Silverhand awarded him with a Badge of the Watch and his dream of becoming a real member of the guard was accomplished. I had enough trouble convincing myself that he would continue adventuring at that point.
-He idolizes the heroes of Waterdeep, Force Grey. He's taken steps towards becoming one but is growing to distrust how Vajra seems to be a bit flippant about cooperating with the open lord.
-Mechanically, he's way too good at one thing and sorely lacking in another. His observational skills (Insight, Perception, Investigation) are so powerful (thanks to a lucky random item roll of a Robe of Many Eyes) but his combat prowess is falling quickly behind the groups.
-My DM focuses a lot more on attacking other party members. This makes sense considering the party composition but this causes a direct conflict with my character's motivations. He wants to be a protector, but he's not much of a threat when left alone and has little way to force enemies to engage him.
-Because of his terrific observational skills, my DM hasn't had the chance to make good use of the traps in the dungeon. As a player, I've started getting the feeling that it's getting stale for the other players while exploring since I notice just about every threat well before we reach it.
-We're currently level 7, just reaching the 3rd floor of Undermountain.
-The party renovated Trollskull Manor into a Bar, although we decided to buy all the permits(DM's wording) and could run just about any business out of it.
-Since his investigation is so high (beyond Halaster's Spell DC) the DM has made my character aware of the Elder Runes. He's been documenting them and passing them off to the Blackstaff to be researched, this quest line would likely end without him present. The threat of what the Symbols could do to his friends also causes him a lot of anxiety.
-Despite everything I enjoy about him, his dice rolls are seemingly cursed and it's not uncommon for me to go an entire session rolling below 10. This causes me a lot of frustration.

I'm mostly looking for advice on which direction to take this retirement, or perhaps to even persevere through it. The character would most likely become an NPC run by the DM afterward and I'd like for him to be somewhat accessible to the remaining party members since he has good relations with them. Any advice is welcome, even if it doesn't fall in line with the information provided.

KorvinStarmast
2018-12-27, 08:56 AM
-Despite everything I enjoy about him, his dice rolls are seemingly cursed and it's not uncommon for me to go an entire session rolling below 10. This causes me a lot of frustration.

I'm mostly looking for advice on which direction to take this retirement, or perhaps to even persevere through it. The character would most likely become an NPC run by the DM afterward and I'd like for him to be somewhat accessible to the remaining party members since he has good relations with them. Any advice is welcome, even if it doesn't fall in line with the information provided.
Buy some new dice. :)

ProsecutorGodot
2018-12-27, 09:02 AM
Buy some new dice. :)

I'd actually made a thread about this when the problem had reached peak levels, it's on Roll20 and new dice isn't an option.

We've even transitioned to a different Roll20 Room and the problem persists.

KorvinStarmast
2018-12-27, 09:04 AM
I'd actually made a thread about this when the problem had reached peak levels, it's on Roll20 and new dice isn't an option.

We've even transitioned to a different Roll20 Room and the problem persists. Ouch, yuk! I had a long cold streak on R 20 when we first started in 2014 ... but lately it is more variable. hot days, cold days, medium days. I wonder if their RNG back end has changed.

Unoriginal
2018-12-27, 09:20 AM
Well, in my opinion you should just have him say something like "I'm no fool, Undermountain is becoming too dangerous for me, and I've found my true calling in the Watch. I'm sorry, but I can't keep risking my life for treasures I have no interest in, and I'll do a lot more of good at the surface." or similar.