View Full Version : Player Help Advice Needed: Nerfing Kalashtar Mystic

NecessaryWeevil
2018-12-27, 02:47 PM
Hi Playground,

My gaming group is doing a holiday-themed one-shot this Saturday, and I would like to try out a Kalashtar Mystic (Order of the Awakened). However, it seems like it might be bit OP; the two most common criticisms seem to be: 1) really strong at mid-range levels and 2) relying on Int saves which is the weakest save of most opponents.

I don't want to ruin my friends' fun with an OP character, so I'm considering one of the following pre-emptive nerfs:
Play at level 8 instead of level 9 like the others; OR
Convert the Int-save abilities to Wis-saves.

Also wondering if Kalashtar is too strong (advantage on Wisdom saves and advantage on one social skill of your choice?)

Feedback including alternative suggestions appreciated!

MaxWilson
2018-12-27, 03:21 PM
Kalashtar is fine. Not stronger than variant human, approximately on par with a gnome.

No opinion on mystic.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-27, 03:26 PM
The Mystic is very hit or miss. Either it's way too strong (with most of the builds) or it just plain sucks. Making it so that the saving throw is based off of Wisdom would be fine, or just separate several of their powers to use one saving throw over the other. Generally, Wisdom is used for effects that manipulate emotions, where Intelligence is used both as a defensive method to repel direct attacks on the mind or to see through illusions. Charisma is a bit odd, resisting effects that change your planar location in the universe and also resisting effects that force you to change your soul.

In a way, Wisdom saves just convince you to do something (Be afraid of your fears, fall in love, go insane), where Charisma saves force you to be something you're not (Zone of Truth, Bane).

Pick which ones apply to what abilities the mystic has. The difference in saving throws will also prevent him from coming up with stagnant combos and force him to think on the fly.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-27, 04:41 PM
One thought I've had on improving the Mystic is to switch it to short-rest casting: you only get a third of the normal pp, but regain them on a short rest. That substantially reduces the amount of nova you can pull off, which is the most systematic problem they have.

Switching Int saves to Wis is a good idea too.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-12-27, 07:04 PM
Thanks, taking these ideas to my DM.