PDA

View Full Version : Squeezing in Feats

Ruethgar
2018-12-27, 03:00 PM
I have an E6 paladin sort of character who needs one or two extra feats(limit +20 post 6). He is already 100% built but I found two feats that would really add to his versatility(beyond beatstick tank) and thematics, but I can’t reqlly find a good way to get them in there. I know about Faustian Pacts(and I suppose he could have been tricked into one as part of his messed up theocratic dictatorship’s paladin induction process), and Taint(again possible with Ritual of Alighnment but more expensive and more obviously evil), and Chaos Shuffle but E6, not likely.

Are there any neutral or good ways to get a few bonus feats?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-12-27, 04:06 PM
Worship an elder evil. [/evil grin]

Also, if you can retrain some of your current feats you could otherwise gain through magic items and locations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?400840-List-of-Feat-Granting-Items-Locations-Grafts), you could get what you can that way and use the feats you freed up to gain more exotic ones.

You could also dip into classes that grant feats, as well, though given that you're playing e6, that may not go so well. Still, some properly utilized dips are definitely recommended for crappy low-end classes like paladin anyway.

Darrin
2018-12-27, 06:02 PM
It might help if you posted the build, the feats you have, and the feats you want. Also, what sourcebooks are available?

Ruethgar
2018-12-27, 10:02 PM
It is all 3.5 officially licensed and published content plus PF on case by case with SoP greenlighted. I suppose I could try and use that clause in taint that you can be "tainted" with good. The general question applies regardless of build though, are there neutral or good analogs to elder evil worship/faustian pacts/taint.

You know, "good taint" seems very off except for [Evil] and Undead creatures, but a lot of those effects could easily be caused by you being overtaken by nature. I'm reminded somewhat of an anime where the forest and mankind warred and separated with a single town as the bridge between them. Some people of the town were blessed with abilities(taint feats) but slowly turned into trees(debilitating ailments til complete corruption).

For this character, I'm going to have him in a faustian pact. Part of the paladin entrance requirement being to stand before an "angel," pledge your devotion to him and the kingdom in a lengthy oath sealed in blood and prove your worthiness by completing some trials... such as smite the heretic chained to the floor(cold blooded murder) to rack up corruption. Honestly that could be pretty damn lucrative for a devil and a nation to have that accord. Getting the souls of all the zealots in a country and having a devil backing you up, probably somewhat amicably with that sort of mass arrangement.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-12-27, 10:57 PM
Fighter 2/psychic warrior 2/crusader 2? Four extra bonus feats (and lots more if you trade in the armor and shield feats via DCFS somehow), crusader maneuvers, paladin-like, and no pesky paladin curse oath to worry about.

ShurikVch
2018-12-28, 07:06 AM
There are two (somewhat cheesy) options:

Symbiotic Creature template - symbiotic creature retains the host's feats and gains the guest's feats as bonus feats

Darklight Wizard "PrC" - it works by wiping away all your previous classes and turning you into 1st-level character, but you keep all your feats, skill ranks, and ability scores; so, 6 levels in Fighter (or feat rogue, or any other class which gives needed bonus feats), then turn into DW, then - rebuild into which-you-want class

ayvango
2018-12-28, 08:01 AM
DCFS is most effective for one level dip of cloistered cleric of war and metal, which gives 4 feats with the drawback of divine interdiction vulnerability. Another option is stalwart battle dragonblood sorcerer which gives 3 feats.

Ruethgar
2018-12-28, 09:29 AM
It's not even a trade to DCFS the armor and shield feats since you have class features that grant automatic proficiency and then separately the feats grant themselves to you based on class. That would be 7 DCFS feats from the Fighter 2/Psychic Warrior 2/Crusader 2. Switch out the Psychic Warrior to Cleric of War and Metal and you lose 1 gain 8 DCFS feats and keep the paladin theme feel. If he's not actually going to see play as a PC, could easily be that the devil in cahoots with the kingdom did the shuffle to make more generals, but that is stretching it a bit thin for backstory boons.

Hmmm, Symbiotic Creature might actually work. But already have a parasite holder that will be in his group so don't want to step on any toes.

Darklight Wizard is, wow, broken, and in E6? Mmmm 6th level spell slots, who cares if its from a crappy list, Animate Dead at will. With SoP allowed, that could make an insane necromancer, spending 39 feats on SoP from being a Half-Human Elf Cleric 1/ABC Wizard 1/Mystic Theurge 4 before, even more if you were just focusing on amassing feats with Faustian Pacts, Elder Evils, and Taint. Though of those three, I think the Elder Evil is the only one that you would get a truly extra feat from for getting to 5 HD again.

Cloistered Cleric is an alternate base class, so they would be losing 3 feats to gain 1, normal Cleric of Metal and War gets 8 shufflable. Stalwart Battle Sorcerer is also an ABC so the would get an extra feat in there for 4.

Currently going with a Mystic Sphere Ranger 6 Scout substituted with Avenger and Divine Tracker(Glory and Good) with Animal Companion and Special Mount equivalency. Faustian Pact for Spell Dabbler and Adept.

Edit: Yes I have flaws.

Zaq
2018-12-28, 12:37 PM
Do you already have any flaws?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-12-28, 12:57 PM
Edit: Yes I have flaws.It's extremely bad form and downright rude to edit in answers to questions in posts that take place before the post the questions are in. If someone asks a question, DON'T DO THAT. The person who asked the question isn't likely to go back and reread the entirety of the thread on the off chance that their question was edited in after.

Seriously, just...don't.

[edit] In occasional instances, editing the OP to account for frequently asked questions or additions to lists is fine, but otherwise, it's excessively bad manners to do what you did there.