PDA

View Full Version : Funny story-Nothing like a rope around the neck to save a PC

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-27, 07:09 PM
One of the players in a party I DM for gets his PC's killed more often than the rest. I've equipped this guy with a rod of Orcish endurance to help out even.

So now he has a Wizard in a party with a couple Paladins, a Sorcerer and a Bard. Wouldn't you know, in the middle of combat the Wizard is standing somewhat safely in back of the Paladins by the door when some bad guys they left behind decide its time to attack and he gets pushed into a long 10 foot deep super long aquarium and knocked to 0 hit points by a combination of enemy soldiers and two giant crabs. No problem but since he's unconscious we figure he's drowning.

Our Bard uses shatter to attack some other foes and breaks the aquarium, maybe intentionally. Gush all the water goes rushing out, Wizard included. No one has a ranged heal and the Wizard floats down towards the break suffering a death fail as he's drowning.

Next round the Bard says I'm going to throw my rope with a noose on the end out to get the Wizard. I say, "Wow, that seems kinda difficult, a noose, like around his head? That's gonna take above a 20 for an athletics or acrobatics check or a natural 1 to get him." Honest, I thought saying critical fail would work let everyone know it was a bad idea.

The Bard of course has like 9 points in athletics or acrobatics, whichever it was and noose's the unconscious Wizard by the neck with a 27. We figured that's another death fail someplace between the flowing water and the Bard pulling.

Thank good a Paladin of ours ran over, dove in and gave the Wizard some HP.

Whatever you all do don't come back as a PC for that poor player. They have about a 3 session life expectancy.