PDA

View Full Version : Scariest aberration.

Gwyllgi
2018-12-27, 07:12 PM
Fun thread time, so long as it has the aberration subtype it's valid, Go.

DeTess
2018-12-27, 07:24 PM
The rust monster, no contest. Players laugh in the face of death and danger, but something that can break their stuff with a touch will send them scrambling for cover and non-combat solutions.

Particle_Man
2018-12-27, 08:37 PM
If played right, mind flayer. They are wayyyy smarter than the average PC and they can literally suck out your brain.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-12-27, 09:23 PM
Dora the Explorer. She can literally throw stars around without effort and can grow to the size of a hundred kaiju and stomp down mountain ranges.

...What do you mean she's just a little girl? YOU'RE JUST A LITTLE GIRL!

Doctor Awkward
2018-12-27, 11:01 PM
The Tsochar

Lords of Madness, pg. 121

Look at this goddamn thing:
https://66.media.tumblr.com/06d25746d8c783eb83b24b5e50153186/tumblr_inline_oyx95l9r4S1rkapbx_400.jpg

You know what he does?

He turns you into his car:

Wear Flesh (Su): A tsochar can bore its way into a helpless
living creature’s body, slipping its ropy tendrils into the
spaces between organs and muscles and disappearing into
the victim. The victim must be the same size as the tsochar
or larger, and the process requires 1 minute. The tsochar can
choose to replace or inhabit the victim (see below).
Inhabit: The tsochar leaves its victim alive and aware. Any
time it cares to, it can infl ict indescribable agony on its host
as a standard action, dealing 1d6 to 6d6 points of damage and
requiring the host to succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be
nauseated by the pain for 2d4 rounds. The tsochar chooses
how much damage it deals with this attack.
The tsochar can take no physical actions while inhabiting
a host, but it can use purely mental actions (such as communicating
with its host by means of its telepathy power and
threatening to injure or kill the host unless the host does as
the monster wishes).
When the host takes damage (other than damage the tsochar
inflicts on it), the inhabiting tsochar takes half that damage.
For example, if the host takes 28 points of cold damage from a
cone of cold spell, the tsochar takes 14 points of cold damage.
A tsochar inhabiting a humanoid’s body feeds on the
creature’s blood and tissues, dealing 1d3 points of Constitution
damage per day. A successful DC 15 Fortitude save reduces
this damage by half. Over the course of days, frail humanoids
carrying tsochari sicken and die, although tsochari are clever
enough to direct their hosts to acquire curative magic to keep
themselves alive indefinitely, if the situation calls for it.

And when he gets tired of your nonsense? He can just kill you and replace you, walking your corpse around like a damn puppet.

Their entire society is like this. And they're total nihilists. They have religious cults dedicated to opening gates to the Far Realms to just generally watch how fast things burn.

And oh yeah, that Mindsight feat that people love so much? The tsochari say, "You're welcome."

Feantar
2018-12-28, 01:13 AM
The Tsochar ...
The Tscohar are incredibly creepy. They combine the crawling under your skin phobia and the body snatcher trope.

If we're going for scariest, and not creepiest, I'd vote for Thoon Elder Brain.

If only because the implication that there's something that can drive an elder brain insane and Thoon Thoon THOON!

PS: Apropos of nothing, I just realised your name, abbreviated, is Doc Awk.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-12-28, 02:17 AM
Doc Awkward has the right of it for horrifying but, for sheer threat, you can't beat the ethergaunts. Whole race led by high level wizards just the other side of the veil? Yikes. Fiend Folio, BTW.

zfs
2018-12-28, 03:05 AM
Tsochar are my go-to for body horror and paranoia.

Khedrac
2018-12-28, 03:25 AM
I wanted to say the 'Phantasmal Slayer' (HoH) but it is an outsider not an abberation, so let's go for some form of mind flayer wizard/dread witch. "Immunity to fear? - What immunity to fear..."

PrismCat21
2018-12-28, 10:08 AM
rust monster

mind flayer

Tsochar

Thoon Elder Brain.

Thoon Thoon THOON!

ethergaunts

Tsochar are my go-to for body horror and paranoia.

Too bad all these are of the Aberration Type, instead of the Aberration Subtype as the OP requested. :D
We'll have to add templates to them to change their type, so they'll have the proper subtype. Elemental, Ooze, Plant, Construct, Outsider, or Undead will do it. :P

RedMage125
2018-12-28, 10:28 AM
Too bad all these are of the Aberration Type, instead of the Aberration Subtype as the OP requested. :D
We'll have to add templates to them to change their type, so they'll have the proper subtype. Elemental, Ooze, Plant, Construct, Outsider, or Undead will do it. :P

I'm reasonably certain that Ooze, Construct, and Undead are "terminal" types, that no adding of templates will modify. A half dragon elven lich, for example, is undead with no subtype. I don't remember which book gave us the type pyramid. Might have been Savage Species.

Deophaun
2018-12-28, 11:02 AM
The rust monster, no contest. Players laugh in the face of death and danger, but something that can break their stuff with a touch will send them scrambling for cover and non-combat solutions.
Meh. Easily countered with either proper material selection or dirt-cheap enhancements, and also weak against being punched in the face. They're more likely to be tamed and put to use against any unfortunate iron bars or golems that get in the party's way (see: Rust Monster Wand in Dungeonscape).

I'm going to give a shout out to mimics, as their very existence gives you reason to be suspicious of any inanimate object you come across. Give them levels in Swordsage with Shadow Hand manuevers, put them in a haunted house, and the teleporting furniture just seems to blend in right up until it eats you.

16bearswutIdo
2018-12-28, 11:29 AM
The Worm That Walks, no contest. Imagine a hooded figure in the dark corner of a bar that stands tall, revealing that their face is nothing more than thousands of writhing worms and maggots.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-12-28, 11:33 AM
The Worm That Walks, no contest. Imagine a hooded figure in the dark corner of a bar that stands tall, revealing that their face is nothing more than thousands of writhing worms and maggots.Sounds like what Honest Trailers thinks of Lindsay Lohan.

https://youtu.be/AOIi9SjJvgU?t=169

Rijan_Sai
2018-12-28, 11:55 AM
I'm going to give a shout out to mimics, as their very existence gives you reason to be suspicious of any inanimate object you come across. Give them levels in Swordsage with Shadow Hand manuevers, put them in a haunted house, and the teleporting furniture that eats you just seems to blend in right up until it eats you.

Thanks for that! Now I have a new adventure site! :smallamused:

Luccan
2018-12-28, 05:51 PM
Probably not the scariest, but I think Beholders are pretty freaky conceptually. They're essentially floating cyclopian heads bigger than you are, teeth the size of your head, and covered in a writhing mass of tentacles. Then you realize they're capable of inflicting all sorts of painful death in ways that don't involve just their teeth and they hate you. Just for existing.

Helluin
2018-12-28, 09:15 PM
I'm reasonably certain that Ooze, Construct, and Undead are "terminal" types, that no adding of templates will modify. A half dragon elven lich, for example, is undead with no subtype. I don't remember which book gave us the type pyramid. Might have been Savage Species.

I think there is no such thing as terminal template per se. A half-dragon elven lich is undead because lich is the last template applied and therefore, the change in creature type from this template is applied last. You rarely see creatures with undead template categorized as other types not because undead type is so badass it kicks the butt of other templates. The bias comes from that most living creatures are not born undead, but can be turned into one, but very few undead can be turned into other creatures; they are out there, however. A half-dragon elven mummy that took levels in divine disciple in unlife becomes an outsider, not an undead.

TheCount
2018-12-29, 10:08 AM
I like the Essence Reaver from Secrets of Sarlona.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?105559-3-5-WTF-Essence-Reaver

RedMage125
2018-12-29, 11:04 AM
I think there is no such thing as terminal template per se. A half-dragon elven lich is undead because lich is the last template applied and therefore, the change in creature type from this template is applied last. You rarely see creatures with undead template categorized as other types not because undead type is so badass it kicks the butt of other templates. The bias comes from that most living creatures are not born undead, but can be turned into one, but very few undead can be turned into other creatures; they are out there, however. A half-dragon elven mummy that took levels in divine disciple in unlife becomes an outsider, not an undead.

First, I said terminal TYPE, not template. Second, you're wrong.

Savage Species, page 142-143.
"Usually, the last template applied
determines a creature’s type.
However, it is possible that
some template imposes a creature
type that overrides any following
templates. Types higher on the
pyramid override lower types, even
if the lower type is applied afterward.
You can apply the
half-dragon template
to an earth elemental,
for instance,
and it remains an
elemental.
The pyramid
is about creature
types, and does
not dictate the
order in which you
must apply templates."

The Pyramid, from bottom to top is:
Animal, Humanoid, Vermin
Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid
Fey, Giant
Dragon, Humanoid (Shapechanger)
Aberration
Elemental, Ooze, Plant
Construct, Outsider, Undead

Once you are a construct or undead, no additional changing of abilities makes you NOT that. And once you are no longer a native of the Material Plane, you remain one.

More to the point, what I was initially responding to, all the types PrismCat listed are above aberration on the pyramid, and aberration is not a subtype, it's a type.

TheCount
2018-12-29, 01:39 PM
first: I do NOT want to start a flame war on this.
second: I do NOT want to derail the tread

In the many threads about templates and stacking, some mention that savage species wasnt updated to 3.5, as such it remains 3.0 material, and as such, the template pyramid no longer in effect.

Again its just my two cent, i do not care about it, and i would like if the thread isnt derail because of this

back to the main topic:
Gibbering Mouthers!
i mean, just put some (dozens) in a one way teleport chamber where they cant escape and you have the warmest welcome to any uninvited "guests" that got the teleporter working.

RedMage125
2018-12-29, 02:51 PM
In the many threads about templates and stacking, some mention that savage species wasn't updated to 3.5, as such it remains 3.0 material, and as such, the template pyramid no longer in effect.

That's not even entitrely accurate for 2 reasons:

1 is that Savage Species was written and published when the 3.5e conversion was right around the corner. Several of the 3.5e changes were incorporated into it. Note that Humanoid (Shapechanger) is on the list, whereas in 3.0 "Shapechanger" was a type. Also in 3.0, "Beast" was a type, and that is also conspicuously absent from the pyramid.

2 is that any 3.0 matter that was not updated into 3.5e is still valid for 3.5e use.

So whoever these "some" are that "mention that the type pyramid is no longer in effect" on the grounds that "it wasn't updated to 3.5e" are talking out of their behinds.

But yes, it IS off topic, only relevant to point out that "Aberration" is not a "subtype", but a "type", and that the 6 types PrismCat mentioned can never even BECOME aberrations.

back to the main topic:
Gibbering Mouthers!
i mean, just put some (dozens) in a one way teleport chamber where they cant escape and you have the warmest welcome to any uninvited "guests" that got the teleporter working.

Those things are nightmare fuel. And that's a nasty surprise to pull on players, lol.

Otomodachi
2018-12-29, 08:13 PM
I'be always found the depth and breadth of knowledge Aboleths get due to their racial memory to be existentially terrifying.

mabriss lethe
2018-12-29, 09:29 PM
Deepspawn: a writhing mass of tentacles and teeth that devours you and then regurgitates clones of you (with all of your powers and a cultish devotion to "mother") on command.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-12-29, 09:41 PM
Ragnorra the Elder Evil? I mean, she's Jenova v3.5.

Psyren
2018-12-30, 04:53 AM
Tsochars are icky, but given that you have to be helpless anyway, it's not like your prospects would have been much better with most other monsters.

I'll second Worm That Walks.

PrismCat21
2018-12-30, 01:16 PM
I'm reasonably certain that Ooze, Construct, and Undead are "terminal" types, that no adding of templates will modify.

And that has what to do with what I said???
The creatures I referred to are Aberrations, not Oozes, Constructs, or Undead. So modifying those types don't matter, now does it?
Also... Ooze isn't even at the top of the pyramid, it can easily be changed. Construct is a bit harder, but still possible. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what would do it for Undead.

First, I said terminal TYPE, not template. Second, you're wrong.
~snip~
Once you are a construct or undead, no additional changing of abilities makes you NOT that. And once you are no longer a native of the Material Plane, you remain one.

More to the point, what I was initially responding to, all the types PrismCat listed are above aberration on the pyramid, and aberration is not a subtype, it's a type.

You also said "no adding of templates would modify", sooo... you're wrong.
The type pyramid is not hard rules. It describes how much easier it is to go up the pyramid than back down. It doesn't say that you can't go back down. It even says in the beginning that some types are easier to change than others, and states that there are exceptions even for Undead, who's at the very top.

The reason I listed those Types that are above Aberration on the Type Pyramid, is because they are above Aberration on the type pyramid. If you take a creature with the Aberration type, apply a template with a Type higher on the Pyramid, the creature generally will become that Type of creature with the Augmented Subtype Aberration.

A creature receives this subtype whenever something happens to change its original type. Some creatures (those with an inherited template) are born with this subtype; others acquire it when they take on an acquired template. The augmented subtype is always paired with the creature’s original type. A creature with the augmented subtype usually has the traits of its current type, but the features of its original type.
Huh... looks like Aberration can be a subtype... just like the OP asked for(whether they intended it or not)

That's not even entitrely accurate for 2 reasons:

1 is that Savage Species was written and published when the 3.5e conversion was right around the corner. Several of the 3.5e changes were incorporated into it. Note that Humanoid (Shapechanger) is on the list, whereas in 3.0 "Shapechanger" was a type. Also in 3.0, "Beast" was a type, and that is also conspicuously absent from the pyramid.

2 is that any 3.0 matter that was not updated into 3.5e is still valid for 3.5e use.

So whoever these "some" are that "mention that the type pyramid is no longer in effect" on the grounds that "it wasn't updated to 3.5e" are talking out of their behinds.

If 3.5 was 'right around the corner', then it's not 3.5, it's 3.0.
Let's see what the 3.5 DMG has to say on the subject.

This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with existing products, and these products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.
The book being 'valid for 3.5e use' does not mean it is accurate for the current ruleset. It needs adjustment to fit in with 3.5, just like every 3.0 source. Those 'minor adjustments' are up to the DM.

It wasn't updated for 3.5. The Type Pyramid doesn't say that you can't go back down the Pyramid. There's a Template in that very book that takes a Type from the very top of the Pyramid and changes it to one at the very bottom.
Now then, who's "talking out of their behinds" again? There is no good reason to be so combative and mean to people.

But yes, it IS off topic, only relevant to point out that "Aberration" is not a "subtype", but a "type", and that the 6 types PrismCat mentioned can never even BECOME aberrations.

Again, when did I ever say anything about another Type becoming an Aberration before this post?
I was very clear about adding Templates to an Aberration. Not anything becoming an Aberration.

If an Aberration becomes something else, they will generally have the Aberration Augmented 'Subtype'. It's one of the basic rules about Templates.
Get over it.

TheCount
2018-12-30, 01:49 PM
-snip-

-snip-

Lets end this debate, its nNOT the focus of the thread, if you want to continoue, take it to another thread or private.

Winged creature template, though its only animals iirc.
Almost anything with the spellwarped template.
Spellwarped Winged Tarasque.

PrismCat21
2018-12-30, 03:10 PM
Lets end this debate, its nNOT the focus of the thread, if you want to continoue, take it to another thread or private.

Winged creature template, though its only animals iirc.
Almost anything with the spellwarped template.
Spellwarped Winged Tarasque.

Perhaps you're in the wrong thread??? My suggestions were relevant. The other person seemed to be very confused about what was being said and was not being very nice about it.

As for your suggestions... You're 1 for 2.
Winged Creature can be applied to 5 types, not just Animal: Animal, Giant, Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, and Vermin.
Giant and Monstrous Humanoid don't change Type at all. Humanoid becomes Monstrous Humanoid. Animal and Vermin become Magical Beast. None of them become Aberration, which is the focus of the thread.
Spellwarped is alright.

Gwyllgi
2018-12-30, 07:00 PM
Deepspawn: a writhing mass of tentacles and teeth that devours you and then regurgitates clones of you (with all of your powers and a cultish devotion to "mother") on command.

I need a reference for this horror. This might be the most baller villain ever, it's like combining the thing with invasion of the body snatchers and agent smith.

HouseRules
2018-12-30, 08:35 PM
No one reference Beauty and the Beholder? Nevermind. Beholder Kins are a plenty in the past. Where did they all go?

What if beholders are the human men that fathers hagspawns?

ZamielVanWeber
2018-12-31, 12:55 AM
I'be always found the depth and breadth of knowledge Aboleths get due to their racial memory to be existentially terrifying.

Aboleths and ethergaunts get my vote. Aboleths are a painful encounter with enslaving powers, an obnoxious arena to fight them in, and if you fail to notice they start the fight by jacking a member with a weak will save and they have a keen enough mind to have a decent chance of discerning who that is. Ethergaunts are just monstrously powerful at their weakest and I have a soft spot for them thanks to a parrot and their fairly reasonable LAs.

DrMotives
2018-12-31, 08:30 AM
I need a reference for this horror. This might be the most baller villain ever, it's like combining the thing with invasion of the body snatchers and agent smith.

They were originally in Monsters of the Faerun, then reprinted in 3.5 for Lost Empires of the Faerun.

Ninjaxenomorph
2018-12-31, 11:34 AM
In Pathfinder, I think the scariest aberration is the Drakainia. Not the highest CR aberration, but she's only surpassed by Great Old Ones. Her ability to birth almost any monster isn't too terrifying on its own, but her aura that rapidly develops pregnancies plus her ability to implant people is definitely messed up. And I believe she still has the highest charisma score of any creature statted up in the game.

Greymane
2018-12-31, 03:47 PM
For sheer horror value, I think the Tsochar takes the cake. With Aboleths being a close second. Take away your ability to breath? Or LEAVE water by changing your skin? To say nothing of the body-snatcher terror that comes with the Tsochar.

I love Mindflayers, and yes, the dude who mind controls you, makes you his little slave, and may eat your brain is also scary, but I think I'm good and desensitized to that at this point. One of the people in my group loves Mindflayers, and ran a whole campaign about them. Not so scary after playing an Illithid Slayer.

In Pathfinder, I think the scariest aberration is the Drakainia. Not the highest CR aberration, but she's only surpassed by Great Old Ones. Her ability to birth almost any monster isn't too terrifying on its own, but her aura that rapidly develops pregnancies plus her ability to implant people is definitely messed up. And I believe she still has the highest charisma score of any creature statted up in the game.

I actually had no idea what you were talking about first, and had to google it up. I don't play much Pathfinder, but I remember when this thing came out, our group was calling it some designer's poorly-disguised fetish being tossed into the game. Creepy, to be sure, but I can't take it seriously.

Gwyllgi
2018-12-31, 07:50 PM
For sheer horror value, I think the Tsochar takes the cake. With Aboleths being a close second. Take away your ability to breath? Or LEAVE water by changing your skin? To say nothing of the body-snatcher terror that comes with the Tsochar.

I love Mindflayers, and yes, the dude who mind controls you, makes you his little slave, and may eat your brain is also scary, but I think I'm good and desensitized to that at this point. One of the people in my group loves Mindflayers, and ran a whole campaign about them. Not so scary after playing an Illithid Slayer.

I actually had no idea what you were talking about first, and had to google it up. I don't play much Pathfinder, but I remember when this thing came out, our group was calling it some designer's poorly-disguised fetish being tossed into the game. Creepy, to be sure, but I can't take it seriously.

Drakainia is basically a edgelord version of Ragnorra. She's not bad but why though?

Gwyllgi
2019-01-01, 02:32 AM
They were originally in Monsters of the Faerun, then reprinted in 3.5 for Lost Empires of the Faerun.

Dude. This thing is RAW cloning... so many things are now possible because of it. I could zombiefy one of these and use it to mass clone a character I want more of at will.