PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing Malonus Mir

Bartmanhomer
2018-12-27, 07:59 PM
Hello everybody. I need help Optimizing Malonus Mir, a Chaotic Good Male Half-Elf Bard 1/Soulknife 2. Here's his character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1710207 Ok here's the game plan. I'm thinking of raising his Charisma to focus on his Bard spells and also focus his ranged attacks. So what do you think of Malonus Mir? Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-27, 08:14 PM
Are you using the 3.5 version of the Soulknife? Because it's... bad. :smallfrown:

I hear Pathfinder's version is better, but I'm not familiar with it.

If there's not a really good reason for the Soulknife levels, I'd advise dropping them.

Assuming this is a starting character and not a ongoing one.

Bartmanhomer
2018-12-27, 08:16 PM
Are you using the 3.5 version of the Soulknife? Because it's... bad. :smallfrown:

I hear Pathfinder's version is better, but I'm not familiar with it.

If there's not a really good reason for the Soulknife levels, I'd advise dropping them.

Assuming this is a starting character and not a ongoing one.

Yes. I'm using the Soulknife level. I was going to use Bard/Psion combo but I feel it a bit too weird for my character.

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-27, 08:42 PM
Yes. I'm using the Soulknife level. I was going to use Bard/Psion combo but I feel it a bit too weird for my character.

Maybe Wilder would be better? Cha synergy?

Bartmanhomer
2018-12-27, 08:47 PM
Maybe Wilder would be better? Cha synergy?

I think it a bit too late to change my secondary class. The game is already started. :frown:

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-27, 09:09 PM
I think it a bit too late to change my secondary class. The game is already started. :frown:

Ah, I see.

If you're planning on taking more levels in Bard, you should probably decide which aspect of the Bard you're going to focus on.

Spellcasting, Buffing, Melee, ect.

Bartmanhomer
2018-12-27, 09:16 PM
Ah, I see.

If you're planning on taking more levels in Bard, you should probably decide which aspect of the Bard you're going to focus on.

Spellcasting, Buffing, Melee, ect.

Spellcasting and buffing.

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-27, 09:47 PM
Spellcasting and buffing.

You'll probably want to take Song of Heart feat and the Inspirational Boost spell.

Glibness is also awesome.

Bartmanhomer
2018-12-27, 09:56 PM
You'll probably want to take Song of Heart feat and the Inspirational Boost spell.

Glibness is also awesome.

Cool. What's Glibness?

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-27, 09:57 PM
Cool. What's Glibness?

It gives you a +30 to your Bluff check. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glibness.htm)

If you have some ranks in bluff, you can get away with almost any lie. :smallbiggrin:

Bartmanhomer
2018-12-27, 10:17 PM
It gives you a +30 to your Bluff check. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glibness.htm)

If you have some ranks in bluff, you can get away with almost any lie. :smallbiggrin:

Wow! That spell is very powerful for a level 3 bard spell. :eek:

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-27, 10:30 PM
Wow! That spell is very powerful for a level 3 bard spell. :eek:

It is, it's arguably broken.

If you're good aligned, the Words of Creation feat is a great boost to your bardic music.

Bartmanhomer
2018-12-28, 12:39 PM
It is, it's arguably broken.

If you're good aligned, the Words of Creation feat is a great boost to your bardic music.

Wow. What about Prestige Class?

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-28, 01:02 PM
Wow. What about Prestige Class?

One potential issue with Prestige Classes is that they often don't advance your Bardic Music, meaning it won't last as long if you stuck with just Bard.

For spellcasting, Sublime Cord is an excellent choice, but it has some pretty heft skill requirements.

Knowledge (Arcana) 10 ranks
Listen 10 ranks
Perform (Any) 10 ranks
Profession (Astrologer) 6 ranks
Spellcraft 6 ranks.

It gives you some new uses for your Bardic music and advances your spellcasting, eventually giving you 9th level spells.

Bartmanhomer
2018-12-28, 01:23 PM
One potential issue with Prestige Classes is that they often don't advance your Bardic Music, meaning it won't last as long if you stuck with just Bard.

For spellcasting, Sublime Cord is an excellent choice, but it has some pretty heft skill requirements.

Knowledge (Arcana) 10 ranks
Listen 10 ranks
Perform (Any) 10 ranks
Profession (Astrologer) 6 ranks
Spellcraft 6 ranks.

It gives you some new uses for your Bardic music and advances your spellcasting, eventually giving you 9th level spells.
Cool. I think a Bard and Soulknife is both Tier 3....I think. :confused:

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-28, 01:29 PM
Cool. I think a Bard and Soulknife is both Tier 3....I think. :confused:

If you only take Bard levels from here on out, it should be tier 3.

Bartmanhomer
2018-12-28, 01:31 PM
If you only take Bard levels from here on out, it should be tier 3.

Ok then. Thanks for all of your advice. :biggrin:

ColorBlindNinja
2018-12-28, 01:37 PM
Ok then. Thanks for all of your advice. :biggrin:

You're welcome. Good luck in your game.