PDA

View Full Version : Spellcraft DC Check and using Wish

Tom Riddle
2018-12-27, 08:41 PM
Hello all

Just a quick question would a character be able to use wish to make a spellcraft dc when trying to cast an epic spell or craft an epic item?

Elkad
2018-12-27, 09:08 PM
RAW, I can't think of a method to just auto-succeed on a skill check with a Wish.

Getting a bonus to your check, sure. The easiest way is just using it to cast Moment of Prescience for +25. Then you use the broken interpretation of Reserves of Strength to remove that 25pt cap, and some method to boost your CL check to whatever bonus you need. But you don't actually even need Wish to do that, unless MoP isn't on your spell list for some reason.

Jack_Simth
2018-12-27, 09:49 PM
RAW, I can't think of a method to just auto-succeed on a skill check with a Wish.

Getting a bonus to your check, sure. The easiest way is just using it to cast Moment of Prescience for +25. Then you use the broken interpretation of Reserves of Strength to remove that 25pt cap, and some method to boost your CL check to whatever bonus you need. But you don't actually even need Wish to do that, unless MoP isn't on your spell list for some reason.

When Moment of Prescience (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/momentOfPrescience.htm) is used on a skill check, it requires it be opposed:
This spell grants you a powerful sixth sense in relation to yourself. Once during the spell’s duration, you may choose to use its effect. This spell grants you an insight bonus equal to your caster level (maximum +25) on any single attack roll, opposed ability or skill check, or saving throw. Alternatively, you can apply the insight bonus to your AC against a single attack (even if flat-footed). Activating the effect doesn’t take an action; you can even activate it on another character’s turn if needed. You must choose to use the moment of prescience before you make the roll it is to modify. Once used, the spell ends. (emphasis added)

Because of how they're placing commas, opposed applies to both ability and skill check. Which also thematically fits with the rest of the list - attack rolls are against folks, saving throws are against someone's DC, and AC is against someone's attack. Divine Insight (Spell Compendium, Cleric-2) is fine to duplicate, though.

Feantar
2018-12-27, 09:55 PM
If you mean succeed in a skill check that it would be impossible to succeed in other circumstances, I don't think so.

Otherwise, and if you're using dragon magazine specifically, contingency and limited wish to replicate skillfull moment (on top of all other skill boosting spells) to fire on your mark (think, "when I say: ". It makes it as if you rolled a 20.

Edit: Actually, what you're suggesting isn't baseless. Limited wish has an example of an effect whose power is in line with the spell, [I] a single creature automatically hitting on its next attack. However, there is no auto-success in skills unlike a natural 20 in attacks, so I'd still say no.