PDA

View Full Version : Battle magic on a hexblade

Shloop23
2018-12-28, 02:11 AM
I was thinking of asking my dm to see if he could changing the level 6 ability of a hexblade to battle magic (the level 7 eldrich knight abiliy) would this be overpowered on a tomelock who plans to fight in close quarters?

BobZan
2018-12-28, 05:27 AM
I was thinking of asking my dm to see if he could changing the level 6 ability of a hexblade to battle magic (the level 7 eldrich knight abiliy) would this be overpowered on a tomelock who plans to fight in close quarters?

Yes. Take the Bard as an example of "full caster with Battle Magic". He gets it by level 14.

Shloop23
2018-12-28, 07:53 AM
I was specifically saying the wdrich knight version which is cantrips only. The Bard one refers to any Bard spells

Innocent_bystan
2018-12-28, 08:01 AM
There is a reason Bladesingers don't get War Magic, even though it would be a perfect thematic fit. And it's because it would be too strong, even with only cantrips. 1 attack and 1 Booming Blade is always better than 2 regular attacks. In your case, 1 attack and 1 Eldritch Blast, with Hex and with Agonising Blast is clearly better than 2 regular attacks.

BobZan
2018-12-28, 08:14 AM
I was specifically saying the wdrich knight version which is cantrips only. The Bard one refers to any Bard spells

Eldritch Knight is 1/3 spellcaster, with Battle Magic he can have that gish feel of slash and cast.

IMO is very convenient for a Hexblade Warlock to want a "cantrips only" version of Battle Magic. I'd deny it.

Eldritch Blast + Attack + Smite all in one turn. Too much, IMO.

Shloop23
2018-12-28, 08:36 AM
What if I didn't take agonizing blast then. It would mainly be booming blade and other attack cantrips. At that point it would replace both agonizing blast and the 6yh level ability.

Trustypeaches
2018-12-28, 08:38 AM
This is waaaay too strong.

Eldritch Blast is better than any cantrip Fighters get access to. Eldritch blast + Melee Attack is essentially 3 full attacks at level 6.

It also means you can drop Thirsting Blade for another invocation.

djreynolds
2018-12-28, 01:33 PM
This is waaaay too strong.

Eldritch Blast is better than any cantrip Fighters get access to. Eldritch blast + Melee Attack is essentially 3 full attacks at level 6.

It also means you can drop Thirsting Blade for another invocation.

And all with 1 stat, charisma

Vogie
2018-12-28, 03:19 PM
I'd probably allow War Magic as an alternative to Agonizing Blast for Tome 'locks only.

They won't have access to Eldritch Smite, Improved Pact Weapon, or Thirsting Blade, only having Charisma-to-Damage on your single attack as a bonus action on a single-handed weapon via Hex Warrior, or quarterstaff via Shillelagh. For ranged, you'd only have ranged attacks via hand crossbow, or to hit people reliably in melee range, the Crossbow Master Feat (ironically).

lunaticfringe
2018-12-28, 05:59 PM
I'm okay with someone grabbing an alternate Patron ability maybe look at Misty Escape, Dark One's Own Luck, or Entropic Ward.

They can all be plugged into Hexblade fairly easily. I'm more open to swapping sub features from they same class than sub features from different classes.

Shloop23
2018-12-29, 12:42 PM
I'd probably allow War Magic as an alternative to Agonizing Blast for Tome 'locks only.

They won't have access to Eldritch Smite, Improved Pact Weapon, or Thirsting Blade, only having Charisma-to-Damage on your single attack as a bonus action on a single-handed weapon via Hex Warrior, or quarterstaff via Shillelagh. For ranged, you'd only have ranged attacks via hand crossbow, or to hit people reliably in melee range, the Crossbow Master Feat (ironically).

This is what I was thinking of doing. Either that or suggest to take it as a feat(if there's no bard or eldrich knight to not step on toes) at lvl 8. Either way I wouldn't take eldrich blast or agonizing blast.

Ganymede
2018-12-29, 01:02 PM
What is the story reason for you wanting your PC to get another weapon attack? It may be that the tome warlock isn't the best fit for your character class.

djreynolds
2018-12-29, 02:12 PM
At the end of the day, with thirsting blade, you want more attacks to so can add charisma to all you damage.

War magic is giving you that opportunity to add that damage, and also with the bonus attack

And now you can dump life-drinker as a need invocation.

Its too powerful IMO.

Its why thristing blade, comes along at 12th level, and fighter's 3rd attack comes at 11th, and paladin's improved divine smite at 11th, and blasesinger at 14th.

But here is an idea, war cleric, gets a BA attack wisdom modifier a day, its not insane for you to have a 14 wisdom ability. That's twice a day

JackPhoenix
2018-12-29, 02:49 PM
What is the story reason for you wanting your PC to get another weapon attack? It may be that the tome warlock isn't the best fit for your character class.

Well, let's see... blade pact is somewhat redundant with hexblade, and by adding battle magic, you'll get everything from a tome pact, better version of Thirsting Blade invocation not locked behind blade pact (because you can do melee attack and GFB/BB instead of just two melee attacks) and you can get feature comparable to Lifendrinker (BB/GFB is actually better than just Cha to weapon attacks, not to mention EB with Agonizing Blast) 5 levels earlier. You'll miss out on the ability to summon your weapon, but that's more or less a ribbon, ability to use two-handed or ranged weapons with hexblade, which may not matter, and turning the pact weapon into +1, which may not matter if you have access to proper magic weapons, and without the need to take invocations for all that. The only real loss is the ability to use your weapon as a focus, and even then, staff arcane focus + shield or Ruby of the War Mage still work, and Eldritch Smite, which is partially covered (but not completely replaced by) hexblade smite spells.

Unless you really want to use two-handers or ranged weapons, hexblade/tome with battle magic would be much better than hexblade/blade.

I seriously doubt it's got anything to do with story.

Kane0
2018-12-29, 11:44 PM
I’d allow it, once per short rest.

Kadesh
2018-12-30, 12:46 AM

You are changing something you don't want, and I'm guessing unlikely to use for something you are otherwise going to use. It is a straight power swap.