PDA

View Full Version : Multiple "1 HP instead of 0 HP effects" on PC - any rules how it works?

Benny89
2018-12-28, 07:42 AM
So let's say you make Paladin- Oath of Ancient half-orc, you are level 15 (Oath feature), you cast Death Ward on yourself and you dip 1 level of Shadow Sorcerer for Strength of the Grave.

So now you have FOUR "1 HP instead of 0 HP" effects on you:

1. From Half-Orc
2. From Oath of Ancients
3. From Death Ward
4. From Shadow Sorcerer

Now are there any rules of how you handle that as DM: does PC chose which effect goes first when he drops to 0 HP? Do they go one by one or all go at the same time when he drops to 0 HP?

It's a neat idea for a tank (and since Ancients Paladin with Stoneskin is already a scary tank) for I wonder how it would work in real-gameplay scenario.

EggKookoo
2018-12-28, 08:08 AM
Aside from death ward, they're all options you choose to invoke. Death ward specifically says it triggers the next time you are brought to 0 HP. So it's pretty simple -- if death ward is active, it triggers. If not, you choose which of the other features to invoke to keep yourself at 1 HP. You are not required to use, say, Relentless Endurance just because you were brought to 0 HP. It's an option.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-12-28, 08:08 AM
The intention (https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/930973877198405632?lang=en) is that you choose which effect happens first.

The way that this works by RAW matches that since the class features (Paladin, Sorcerer) and the Half Orc racial all use the wording "you can choose" then the order is up to you. Death Ward, however, doesn't give you the option, so in the event that you have Death Ward up it will always happen first.

Hadoken
2018-12-28, 08:15 AM
Starting at 15th level, when you are reduced to 0 hit points and are not killed outright, you can choose to drop to 1 hit point instead. Once you use this ability, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Emphasis added. This one is player choice on when to activate. Let's look at the others.

When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

The language isn't quite as strong on the player choice aspect, but I would still say it's a decision the player makes on when to use it.

Starting at 1st level, your existence in a twilight state between life and death makes you difficult to defeat. When damage reduces you to 0 hit points, you can make a Charisma saving throw (DC 5 + the damage taken). On a success, you instead drop to 1 hit point. You can't use this feature if you are reduced to 0 hit points by radiant damage or by a critical hit.

After the saving throw succeeds, you can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Player choice is again highlighted.

You touch a creature and grant it a measure of protection from death.

The first time the target would drop to 0 hit points as a result of taking damage, the target instead drops to 1 hit point, and the spell ends.

If the spell is still in effect when the target is subjeThcted to an effect that would kill it instantaneously without dealing damage, that effect is instead negated against the target, and the spell ends.

There is no player agency involved with this one (other than choosing to cast it). If death ward is active, it triggers when appropriate whether the player wants it to or not.

If I were DMing for a player who built a character around this concept, I would laugh and congratulate them on their interesting niche build. I would let them choose when they trigger the first three, but not death ward.

Chronos
2018-12-28, 09:41 AM
So now suppose that you have Strength of the Grave and one of the other optional ones at the same time. Can you try to use Strength of the Grave first, and then only once your save fails, use one of the other ones instead?

Laserlight
2018-12-28, 09:55 AM
So now suppose that you have Strength of the Grave and one of the other optional ones at the same time. Can you try to use Strength of the Grave first, and then only once your save fails, use one of the other ones instead?

I don't see why not. If SotG works, the other ability doesn't trigger; if SotG doesn't work, then the other ability does.

EggKookoo
2018-12-28, 11:03 AM
I don't see why not. If SotG works, the other ability doesn't trigger; if SotG doesn't work, then the other ability does.

I would rule this way as well. I don't think they use your reaction..?