PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Celebrated Jumping Monk of Calveras County / Monk Way of the Flying Fist [PEACH]

superninja109
2018-12-28, 01:09 PM
deleted.......

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-28, 01:16 PM
Does the bonus action jump of 10 feet provide that 10 feet of movement, or does that come out of your speed budget?

Have you considered modifying your ability to utilize Step of the Wind, in how it already doubles your jumping distance?

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-28, 03:33 PM
I did not really consider using step of the wind because this is supposed to be an offensive jumping attack, and if it could use step of the wind's disengage, then it would be too defensive, I think. Also, I was not sure how I could incorporate that.

I did something similar for a GitP Subclass contest that utilized lots of jumping and mobility for increasing your offensive capabilities: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23473286&postcount=8

Effectively, I made it REALLY easy to jump really far, and gave you a free attack whenever you jumped 20 feet or more without requiring any resources. This means that a Monk could Step of the Wind-Disengage for an easy attack or two at the cost of Ki (Effectively all of your movement and 1 ki point for 1-2 attacks), or they could just move 20-40 feet and get 1-2 attacks (provoking at least one attack of opportunity and all of your movement for 1-2 attacks), comparing to the existing Flurry of Blows for 2 ki points for 2 attacks. Take a look, it might give some ideas.

The speed was supposed to come out of the unarmored movement.

Now, this part seems a bit confusing to me. Just to clarify, any distance you normally jump consumes your overall speed, and Unarmored Movement just increases how much that overall speed is.

Are you saying that the maximum distance you can jump is increased based off of your unarmored movement bonus (and it seems so), that the unarmored movement bonus is intended to help fund the movement for the special movement attack, or both?

Or rather, if a level 3 monk with 40 speed makes the special attack you have listed by jumping 10 feet and then ends their turn, do they end their turn with 40 speed or 30?

Ogrillian
2018-12-30, 02:39 AM
This looks and works like my monk Lancer subclass (dragoon) unarmed version see if this helps

Level 3 You gain a standing jump distance equal to half your movement speed, and a running jump equal to your full movement speed.
Also as a bonus action, you can spend a Ki point to choose a target within your standing jump range to receive a melee attack for double damage.

(This should help your targeting Distance without giving your fist longer range than many spells, or an archers effective shooting range 😁)

Zhorn
2018-12-30, 06:55 PM
Sounds like the perfect build to recreate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUDFH8OfeDY