PDA

View Full Version : GURPS DIscworld 4th Edition

Arutema
2018-12-28, 08:00 PM
I got the core book for Christmas. It's quite the tome, so I'm slowly reading over it, with an eye to possibly putting together a one-shot Ankh-Morpork Watch game.

Any gotchas to watch out for in the system for someone new to GURPS in general?

Algeh
2018-12-29, 01:31 AM
I haven't run Discworld, but the biggest piece of advice I have about GURPS in general is that the GM needs to not be shy about setting limits during character creation. GURPS has enough variety of options and character concepts that a "kitchen sink" approach to what you'll take for character concepts tends to end up with PCs that have nothing in common and who may be at pretty different power levels (a lot of advantages, disadvantages, and skills are situationally better or worse depending on the campaign, so disallowing or encouraging things as appropriate for the campaign you're actually going to run is important).

I usually start character creation by telling players what kind of characters I'm looking for and where they're supposed to be at the start of the campaign ("modern day Earth, 'normal' people, have a reason to be in Barcelona" or "mostly TL10 vaguely Star-Trek-ish space future, rubber-forehead-type aliens ok but nothing too weird, no psioncs, magic, or superpowers, you're all going to be on the same small commercial ship so you might want to figure out who does what and you should have a backstory that means you're ok with wandering around known space rather than staying in one spot" or whatever - doesn't need to be super detailed, but should tell them what kinds of builds make sense).