PDA

View Full Version : Class ideas for Centaurs?

Bioberserkr2
2018-12-29, 01:01 AM
Some clarifications first: My DM has ruled that centaurs count as mounted for the purpose of one-handing a lance. He recognizes it as a little overpowered but he invoked RAF cuz the mental Image is cool. Back to the topic, I want to play a class that could be considered out of the norm yet still synergize either thematically or mechanically.

Sindal
2018-12-29, 01:57 AM
Well

Any class, really. The only way a race synergies with a class is through stats, which for centaurs if I'm not mistaken is 5e is +2 Str and +1 Wis

A fighter or ranger will probably be pretty standard with a bit of extra gallow to them. Every nation of people has those.

Any kind of spellcaster doesn't really care about kind of body you have, since it's more with the little magic doohiki your holding and what you make appear. And all of that can be flavored accordingly.
(pact magic is pact magic. Sorcery is sorcery. Wizardry is wizardry.) thought they would make good clerics or druids with that wisdom bump. A tribe's shaman or a chosen disciple of the centaur gods (tempest maybe)

Barbarians are also pretty standard. Especially now you can charge into battle and one of your allies can just yell "TRAMPLE THEM!"
Monks are fun, you get to count all your hoof bucks and stamps as part of your unarmed attacks, though you'll need some dex for it
Paladins are always pretty squared off, and the +2 to strength will help with any of the melee doods
Rogues, they're missing that dex bump. Though it might be fun to roleplay a 'craft' centaur. Maybe one who keeps trying to disguise that he's a centaur.

If you asked me i'd probably go Barbarian. Some tribal champion sent out to fix the great lurgy in the world. Make some good use of that lance bonus. Though they still have the 'attacking anything close to you has disadvantage' con. Mounted combat doesn't stop that. Or you could be a fighter and be a more typical 'knight' who's chosen to live for a kingdom and serves as a literal cavalry (the centaurs from shining force series come to mind) espailly since if they count as mounted, they can pull up a shield with that lance.

Particle_Man
2018-12-29, 03:06 AM
I think that lore bard is traditional.

BarneyBent
2018-12-29, 03:15 AM
Wolf Totem Barbarian. Sentinel feat. Have an ally with Mounted Combatant riding you. Rider forces enemies to attack them (Mounted Combatant) at disadvantage, while you and your rider slaughter them all. Bonus points for rider being a Half-Elf Paladin/Hexblade 1 (or a Dex Paladin) with Elven Accuracy for regular critical Smites (you can choose to smite after critting so save those big spell slots for that!).

Arkhios
2018-12-29, 06:42 AM
Rogue, obviously! :smallbiggrin:

Aett_Thorn
2018-12-29, 08:01 AM
A Str-based Ranger would work well, especially if you can use a Lance.

The stats don’t line up great, but a Centaur Monk would probably be extremely fun to play, just smashing things with your hooves left and right.

strangebloke
2018-12-29, 09:32 AM
Besides the ability bonuses, the centaur has its hooves, high movement, and now an overpowered one handed weapon.

Everyone can make use of high movement.

Fighter, rogue, barbarian, and ranger all make good use of strength. Except for the rogue, they all love having a Lance too.

Clerics, druids and monks can use the wisdom, but monks really miss the dexterity bonus.

Overall I would say that ranger is the best fit. Personally I made the centaur a +1 str/Dex/Wis race to for with the tradition of centaurs as archers.