View Full Version : Horse as a Familar

wilphe
2018-12-29, 01:52 AM
Don't think I've ever seen this.

Does the option exist?

Florian
2018-12-29, 01:57 AM
Not by default, no.

3.5E and PF have some PrC that combine Druid/Wizard Animal Companion/Familiar rules, so a horse or T-Rex could happen.

wilphe
2018-12-29, 02:13 AM
Well I was guessing one would maybe need Improved Familiar, but a horse isn't as good as some of the improved familiars but at the same time better than some of the standard options.

Now I need to work out what you'd get as a familiar benefit

Bonus to Speed perhaps?

flappeercraft
2018-12-29, 03:03 AM
No, but there is something that is very close. As per UA, and the SRD, you can trade your familiar for an animal companion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererWizard) if you're a wizard or sorcerer. If you're getting it from another source such as Hexblade or the Obtain Familiar feat, you might want to consider taking the Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat instead.

Particle_Man
2018-12-29, 03:09 AM
A minimal horse familiar would be cute.

Ruethgar
2018-12-29, 08:29 AM
Nearest I can see is a medium size familiar from a very short list if you are huge.

Feantar
2018-12-29, 09:38 PM
Well I was guessing one would maybe need Improved Familiar, but a horse isn't as good as some of the improved familiars but at the same time better than some of the standard options.

Now I need to work out what you'd get as a familiar benefit

Bonus to Speed perhaps?

You can get a Hippogriff with improved familiar (Complete Warrior page 100) - since that is absolutely better than a horse and directly comparable to it, I'd say that you should be able to get one with it. Probably a heavy warhorse (Same CR and Size, 1 extra HD but no flying speed).

With the standard familiar, comparing a Light Horse (CR 1, 3 HD) to the largest familiar (in case you're smaller than Huge) I could find, a Dog or a dire rat, both have less than 1 CR and only 1 HD. So, I'd have to say no, unless I missed an option.

EDIT: But, if you're a small character, it would be reasonable to get a pony. It's 2 HD, but 1/4th CR which is less that both of the aforementioned animals.

Lans
2018-12-30, 02:46 AM
A minimal horse familiar would be cute.

But does it have two but holes?

There was a list of alternate familiars for giants/big creatures in a dragon mag.