PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Magic Armor Pricing and Spell Slots VS Spells per day

Learn34
2018-12-29, 12:26 PM
I have two questions:

1st) The DMG lays out the prices of individual enhancement bonuses and the max market value for magic armor as Bonus^2*1000 and 100,000 respectively. The Magic Item Compendium, on page 6, states the max market value for armor is 200,000, but fails to define any changes to the cost of enhancement bonuses. I haven't been able to find any errata or other manner of explanations/corrections. So what's the proper enhancement cost and max market value? My default options are "as armor per DMG," "As weapons per DMG," and "enhancement as armor per DMG, max value as per MIC." I am as sure as i can be the the last of these options is not valid.

2nd) What happens when you have bonus spells per day in excess of your highest level spell known/prepared/retrieved. Are they just wasted, or can they be used to fuel metamagic versions of spells?

Deophaun
2018-12-29, 12:51 PM
1) It's actually the middle of those three options that is unfounded. Your choice is that either the DMG is the primary source for magic items or the MIC is. If the DMG is the primary source, then it overrides any contradiction with the MIC, and armor caps at 100,000. If the MIC is the primary source, then it overrides any contradiction with the DMG, and 200,000 is the max value. But, since it doesn't list a price for armor enhancement, there is no contradiction to override with the DMG, so the DMG's pricing stays.

2) This is the difference between having "-" and "0" spellslots. If you have "-" spellslots, bonus slots are wasted. If you have "0" spellslots, you get your bonus slots for that level.

Learn34
2018-12-29, 01:04 PM
1) k. Still not sure how to proceed, but I appreciate the input.

2) Well f**k. So much for my half-caster.

Jeraa
2018-12-29, 01:42 PM
I have two questions:

1st) The DMG lays out the prices of individual enhancement bonuses and the max market value for magic armor as Bonus^2*1000 and 100,000 respectively. The Magic Item Compendium, on page 6, states the max market value for armor is 200,000, but fails to define any changes to the cost of enhancement bonuses. I haven't been able to find any errata or other manner of explanations/corrections. So what's the proper enhancement cost and max market value? My default options are "as armor per DMG," "As weapons per DMG," and "enhancement as armor per DMG, max value as per MIC." I am as sure as i can be the the last of these options is not valid.

Armor does not cap at 100,000gp. There is no such rule stated or implied in the DMG. That is simply the price of an effective +10 suit. The non-plus enchantments (like the energy resistance enchantments) can push the cost beyond that. Likewise, the Magic Item Compendium does not limit armor to 200,000gp. That is simply the cutoff point between normal magic items and epic items. Epic items have their own pricing methods.

Learn34
2018-12-29, 02:41 PM
Armor does not cap at 100,000gp. There is no such rule stated or implied in the DMG. That is simply the price of an effective +10 suit. The non-plus enchantments (like the energy resistance enchantments) can push the cost beyond that. Likewise, the Magic Item Compendium does not limit armor to 200,000gp. That is simply the cutoff point between normal magic items and epic items. Epic items have their own pricing methods.

Upon review, I notice you are correct. From a strict reading of the magic items in the DMG, neither are limited to 200/100Kgp (non-epic gameplay I've been considering a given). So I ow have a path forward. Thank you both for your help.