PDA

View Full Version : Mad One wants ice cream

Phhase
2018-12-29, 03:51 PM
I got a Dewar for Christmas! I can store liquid nitro(gen) now! I'm super exited, in case you couldn't tell. The first thing I wanna do is fuse two ice cream flavors. Is it really as easy and melting the two down, mixing em, and then pouring in some nitro while mixing until solid? Or is there some Extra procedure to follow to make sure it comes out right? If anyone cares, I'm mixing equal parts Hagen-Daaz Vanilla Bean with Coffee.

Tyndmyr
2019-01-03, 05:33 PM
Haven't done this myself, but I'm curious, how'd it turn out?

Chronos
2019-01-04, 11:27 AM
I've never tried making ice cream from other ice creams, but liquid nitrogen ice cream is really hard to screw up. If anything, I'd expect that already-melted commercial ice cream would work even better as a base, because it's got binders and texture enhancers like carragenen in it.

Phhase
2019-01-05, 01:36 AM
Haven't done this myself, but I'm curious, how'd it turn out?

Pretty good! I just hope the freezer is cold enough to return it to its original consistency. It ended up somewhere a little south of soft-serve.

Lord Torath
2019-01-05, 09:47 AM
Pretty good! I just hope the freezer is cold enough to return it to its original consistency. It ended up somewhere a little south of soft-serve.I understand that freezing/thawing can change the consistency of ice cream. I'm not sure of the specifics, but I heard something about Spotted Dog Creamery on the radio several years back, and that was one of the things they mentioned.

Chronos
2019-01-06, 08:16 AM
Ordinarily, yes, because you're losing all of the tiny bubbles that make ice cream soft. But the liquid nitrogen should restore those.