PDA

View Full Version : Horatio's Weapon Reworks

Lord Von Becker
2018-12-29, 04:24 PM
Hey! I had a whole bunch of Fighter reworks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577038-Fighter-Reworks&p=23594218#post23594218), a TWF rework, and some supplementary stuff for the latter (like a Paladin feat that was more on-theme than dual wielding).
It grew a whole lot. I split them into different threads. I noticed more issues to fix and cool things to add. It grew more. This is now my general weapon thread.
I would be very happy to hear feedback!

Two-Weapon Fighting (Base Rule)
If you are holding two Light weapons, you may use them to attack repeatedly. As a bonus action, you attack as many times as you have already attacked this turn. Do not add your ability modifier to the damage of these bonus attacks.*

For this to work, you must alternate weapons for each attack you make. You may draw a new weapon for each attack, so long as they all have the Light property, but you do not have time to stow previous ones - they must be discarded, or thrown in the attack.

*To be clear, this applies to Strength, Dexterity, and things like shillelagh which substitute another stat for them. It does not apply to features like Aura of Hatred or Song of Victory.

Dual Wielding (Replaces the Fighting Style named "Two-Weapon Fighting")
You may treat any one-handed weapon as a Light weapon.
Light Crossbows count as one-handed weapons for you.
When using weapons would have the Light property without this feature, you may add +1 to their damage rolls.
If you hold a polearm in two hands, you may count each end as a one-handed weapon with a damage die of 1d8. (One end of a polearm typically does bludgeoning damage, unless you've had it customized.)

Commentary: I'm not the only one to have come up with this fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22980216&postcount=5), but I did come up with it independently. It very slightly outdamages Great Weapon Fighting - by an average of 2/3 of an HP per attack - but it does lock up the bonus action.

Two Weapon Mastery (Replaces the Feat I can't see because I don't have PHB access right now)
You gain the following benefits when you are holding a Light weapon in each hand:
*When you miss an opponent with a weapon attack, you have Advantage on your next attack roll against them. If you haven’t attacked them by the end of your next turn, this Advantage expires.
*You may spend a bonus action to enter a defensive stance until your next turn. While in the defensive stance you have +2 AC, and if an opponent misses you with an attack, you may use your reaction to make a single weapon attack against them.

If you have the Dual Wielder Fighting Style, entering this defensive stance grants +3 AC instead of +2.

Commentary: This was balanced against shield+Polearm Master, and substituting Dual Wielder for Defensive. The idea of enabling ripostes came from this post by Lalliman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22985928&postcount=9), but its implementation is my own.
Later commentary: As I was unaware that the Sneak Attack limit being one-per-turn instead of one-per-round made off-turn attacks extremely valuable to them, this is much better for Rogues than I'd realized. It may need reevaluation in light of this.

(Ranged weapon stuff is in the next post.)

Daggers gain the following special rule:
When holding a dagger in one hand, you may treat any one-handed melee weapon in your other hand as a light weapon. Your attacks must alternate between that weapon and the dagger to obtain this benefit.

Flails, Scimitars, and Whips are now considered Monk weapons, and added to the Monk proficiencies. For mechanical purposes, nunchaku may be considered either Flails or Clubs.

The Sling deals 1d8 damage, and is a Martial weapon. The 'sling' in the Equipment List is now called the Slingshot, and loses its' Loading property.

The club gains the special rule that if you are holding one in each hand while proficient with them, you gain +2 AC. (This is inspired by tonfa/nightsticks.)

The greatclub deals 1d6+2 damage, and gains the Heavy property. (This is partly because a Druid carrying a small, magically weaponized tree in both hands ought to deal damage at least on par with a greataxe, partly to give Druids options that are competitive with tonfa, and partly because huge clubs ought to be at least a little heftier than walking sticks.)

The Blowgun is considered a Simple weapon and by proxy a Monk weapon, and Rogues are proficient with it. (It baffles me that neither ninja class has proficiency with the blowgun, particularly since they have features that would make the thing viable. I'll put it down to the thematic messiness of the Ranger class, because the only other explanation I've thought of is racism.)

The Whip may deal 1 thunder damage instead of 1d4 slashing. (This is just cool, so hopefully it isn't broken.)
You may always draw a thrown weapon as part of making an attack with it.
You may make attacks with two-handed weapons using only one hand, but you have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Martial Arts Improvement (New 10th level feature for Monks)
You may treat any simple Monk weapon except for Clubs as having the Reach property, whenever you like. This usually represents swinging it from a wire, rope, or chain.
Whenever you would make an unarmed strike, you may instead choose to attack with a Monk weapon you are holding.
When you make an unarmed strike, or attack with a martial monk weapon, add 1 to its damage.

(A handful of wuxia-themed benefits, none of them very large, to keep non-club builds competitive. Hopefully, none of them lead to the Monk overshadowing the other classes.)

Stunning Strike Limits
You may not attempt more than three stunning strikes per creature per turn.

Soulfire
Prerequisite: Divine Smite or Eldritch Smite feature
As a bonus action you may wrap a weapon you are holding in spiritual flames. If the weapon uses ammunition, the flames spread to it as it is loaded.
The flames last for one round and shed bright light for five feet and dim light for another five feet.
When make an attack with a weapon wrapped in these flames, it deals additional fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) on hit, and counts as two melee weapon attacks for purposes of your Smite ability.

This was designed to give Paladins a more on-theme damage build than dual wielding, and it had a couple happy side effects: it makes Archer and Slinger Paladins moderately competitive, and it makes sword-using paladins a little better at damage output than Polearm Masters.
But after realizing how many Smites in one turn a Paladin 2/Eldritch Knight 17 could dish out, especially with my Fighter rework, I noticed how unfun it sounded to easily oneshot boss characters. So I came up with this:

Smite Limits
You may not use the Divine Smite or Eldritch Smite features more than four times per turn against a single creature.

Poison Use
If you have a free hand and access to a dose of an appropriate poison, you may take a bonus action to poison one weapon or two pieces of ammunition. While poisoned it has additional effects on any target it hits, which depend on the poison used.
Most combat poisons add 1d4 poison damage to the weapon's damage roll, are removed on hit, and lose potency one minute after application. They also cannot be effectively applied to weapons with the Heavy property - the larger wounds bleed too freely - or which deal bludgeoning damage. Lastly, they are diluted past efficacy if another poison is applied to the same weapon.
In this day and age, poisons which do not fit this description are considered wondrous items.

Ki Poisoning
By spending 1 ki point at the time of application, a Monk may increase a poison's damage to equal their Martial arts die plus their Wisdom modifier.

Weapon Blessing
Holy water can be applied weapons and ammunition. This is treated exactly like poisoning them, with the following exceptions:

The added damage is Radiant.
If the target is not a fiend, undead, or other creature the DM has ruled to be vulnerable to holy water, it does not add its' damage against them.

Since holy water cannot be effectively mixed with other poisons, many churches view poisoned weaponry with suspicion, at least among their own ranks.

Procuring Poisons
In most non-arctic biomes, you can usually find a few doses of poison with a survival check. (Ballpark: DC 2-6, multiples give more doses, 15 minutes work.)
In areas where combat poisons are legal, you can generally buy ten doses for 1-3 gp. In areas where they aren't legal, you may be able to buy them secretly for three to ten times as much.
If you are proficient with the poisoner's kit, you may mix two doses of poison per minute, from ingredients equal to about half the poison's market value.

Making Holy Water
If you are a Cleric or a Paladin, or have the Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate feats for either of those classes, you can make five doses (one flask) as a fifteen-minute ritual.
If you have available spell slots, you can spend one to bless water as an action. A 1st-level slot lets you bless up to two flasks of water at once, and the amount doubles with each slot level above 1st.
If you are at least 17th level and expend one of your highest-leveled spell slots to bless water, you may choose instead to bless a water source. A stretch of stream, perhaps, or a spring, or a fountain, or even a storm. Water directly from that source will be holy long into the future.
Holy water is almost never sold, although it is sometimes bartered for. Many churches keep a supply which they'll happily lend out for fighting evil, although proof of adversary may be required for large requests.

Poison Master (New Feat)
You've mastered the subtler arts of mixing poisons. Your skill is great enough to debilitate instead of harm, and you can bypass all but the rarest forms of immunity. You gain the following benefits.
When you poison a weapon, you may change the poison damage to Necrotic or Acid.
When you use poison to damage a creature, it is poisoned until your next turn.

(I came up with this subsystem mainly because it seemed easier to balance than the "they're one-use powerups, we don't have to calc DPR" ethos Poisons normally use.
...arcade game powerups sound like a great paradigm for limited-use magic items, actually.)

Lord Von Becker
2019-01-03, 04:57 PM
You know how well-used bows apparently have a much better firerate than one per second (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_Andersen_(archer))? Let's have an option to represent that. (I'll also put my sling fix here, since this is what it's balanced against.)

New weapon property:
Rapid. When making an attack with this weapon, you may determine its damage first, and then distribute that damage between some number of component attacks. (The number of component attacks is shown in brackets beside the property.)
If you don't assign a component attack at least one damage, it isn't made.

The Shortbow gains Rapid (3).

The Longbow gains Rapid (2), and its damage becomes 2d4.

The Sling is considered a Martial ranged weapon, deals 1d10 bludgeoning damage, and has the properties Ammunition (range 150/600) and Loading. The other one is actually a slingshot.

The Archery fighting style also grants the following ability:
As a bonus action on your turn, you may take aim. Until your next turn, you ignore the normal disadvantage on ranged weapon attacks at a weapon's long range or against things within 5 feet of you.

I also have some ideas for guns. Guns may not always fit the aesthetic you're looking for, but it's nice to have the option. These should be reasonably well-balanced against existing weapons.
(On a side note, I have not read the Unearthed Arcana guns; these are inspired by the original Alter A.I.L.A. (https://rpgmaker.net/games/268/) with a dash of Zokusho (http://waywardcross.com), plus a wikiwalk or two.)

*Archery only grants +1 to attack rolls with a gun.
*Great Weapon Fighting may be used with any weapon which has the Versatile property, provided you are wielding it in two hands.
*You can't gain the effects of more than one fighting style at a time.
*If a ranged weapon has the Versatile property, it applies even to ranged attacks. (Whee, fixing pointless RAW.)

Name

Damage
Traits

Weight
Used By

Handgun

1d8 piercing
Ammunition (range 100/150), Clip (8), Special

2 lbs.
Rogues, Monks (as a Monk Weapon), and everyone proficient in all martial weapons

Revolver
1d8 piercing
Ammunition (range 100/150), Clip (6), Versatile (2d6)

3 lbs.
Rogues, Druids, Warlocks, and everyone proficient in all martial weapons

Repeater
3d4 piercing
Ammunition (range 600/1000), Clip (15), Two-handed

9 lbs.
Everyone proficient in all martial weapons*

Submachine Gun
1d8 piercing
Ammunition (range 80/150), Clip (10), Rapid (3), Versatile (1d12)
10 lbs.
Bards*, Monks (as a monk weapon), Rouges, and everyone proficient in all martial weapons

Shotgun
1d10 thunder
Ammunition (range 30/120), Finesse, Heavy, Special
8 lbs.
All classes*

(*Asterisks indicate something in the Notes.)

Ammunition
Cost
Weight
Effect

.45-caliber Bullets (30)
2 gp
1 lb.
Standard gun ammo

Buckshot Cartridges (12)
1 gp
1 lb.

Standard shotgun ammo

Shotgun Slugs (12)
1 gp
1 lb.

Doubles short and long range, change damage to piercing

Flechette Cartridges (24)
3 gp
2 lbs.
Shotgun damage becomes 1d8+2 piercing

Razorwire Grapeshot (24)
3 gp
2 lbs.
Shotgun damage becomes 1d8+2 slashing

Special Traits and Commentary

Handgun: You may treat this as a Light weapon with a damage of 1d8 -1. If you have another way to treat this as having the Light property, you can ignore this feature.
Notes: I was visualizing an M1911 or possibly a later generation Glock based on my wikiwalk for this. (Then again, I routinely confuse M16s with AK47s. I'm not precisely a gun nerd.) I also have no idea where the clip size came from - some story I read years ago, I think.

Revolver
Notes: Actually, I don't think the iconic Dirty Harry pistol shares ammo with the tommygun, but... one more Wikipedia search later, I can reasonably presume I was thinking of the Desert Eagle for the handgun's clip, because that's the Desert Eagle clip size which matches both the Big Revolver in question (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_29) and at least one of Those Rifles That Look A Bit Like A Winchester. (That said, I'm not planning to split off another ammo type, mostly because I don't have a good idea for how to handle it. They're already abstractions anyway.)

Repeater
Notes: Base damage is the highest of any weapon, at half an average-damage-point-per-hit better than a Greatsword, but gets slightly worse after Fighting Styles, which seems right to me. (It also uses Archery better than the twin pistols do, but it loses by 3/4ths of an ADPPH if they're used with Dual Wielder.)
Visually, I was thinking of the Henry rifle - I think it suits the Ranger's aesthetic pretty well.

Submachine Gun
Notes: I was picturing both tommyguns and machinepistols here. Stats are for the tommygun, which is why these are especially for Bards - "a Chicago Pianist typically carries their instrument in a violin case" is far too good a double-pun to pass up.
Machine pistols tend to be a lot lighter, though. If you actually care about the weight (and who knows, maybe D&D 5.5 will actually support AD&D-style heist games), I suggest the lighter ones be worth exactly as much more as the same level of weight-reducing enchantment.

Shotgun: If you are proficient with at least one martial ranged weapon you may ignore a shotgun's two-handed property or its loading property. Changing your choice is as simple as changing how you hold it.
Notes: This is well-suited to Barbarians, as it should be. It's also got some aesthetic resonance for Clerics.
The Special property is a joke based on Larry Correia's complaints about how pump shotguns get used in the movies. Now the competent folks can shoot without pausing! (Unless they're dual wielding, in which case they're clearly running on Rule of Cool anyway.)
Thunder damage may or may not make sense. It seems less bizarre than Bludgeoning, and more interesting than Piercing, but that would make it do full damage to barbarians and it just isn't quite as core to the image as the whip. Help?

Finally, here's some properties which can be added to any kind of ammunition (except maybe Blowgun needles), for a bit more effort and/or cost. You may make or buy ammunition with more than one of these properties.

Name
Additional Cost
Effect

Explosive
1 sp per piece
Change damage type to thunder

Incendiary
5 cp per piece
Change half the damage to fire

Named
1 sp per piece
Deal half damage (round up) on miss