PDA

View Full Version : What 2 level dip for my warlock?

Aurosman
2018-12-29, 08:04 PM
So I was planning on going warlock 20, but the other day realized I read eldritch master wrong, and since we do short rests at 10 minutes and 2-3 a day it's pointless. So decided on a 2 level dip but cant figure out what to go. I have the celestial pact and can really only multiclass into bard or sorcerer. Both seem like good picks so am having trouble on deciding. Anyone have any input? Also we are level 3 currently, so when would be a good time?

Crgaston
2018-12-29, 08:14 PM
How’s your Dex? And which pact do you plan? Fighter for a Action Surge, shield and some weapons or Rogue for Expertise and Cunning Action are fantastic on a Warlock.

Between Bard And Sorc i would probably pick Draconic Sorcerer for the cantrips and AC boost.

CTurbo
2018-12-29, 08:16 PM
Not sure your play style, but a couple of Rogue levels could be great for extra skills, expertise, Cunning Action, etc...

Paladin will make you much tougher if that's what you want.

Bard will really up your skill level and give you some extra goodies that really benefit any Cha player.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-12-29, 08:17 PM
So I was planning on going warlock 20, but the other day realized I read eldritch master wrong, and since we do short rests at 10 minutes and 2-3 a day it's pointless. So decided on a 2 level dip but cant figure out what to go. I have the celestial pact and can really only multiclass into bard or sorcerer. Both seem like good picks so am having trouble on deciding. Anyone have any input? Also we are level 3 currently, so when would be a good time?

Lore Bard, 3 level dip, lots of goodies.

But I can't advise you as to when, exactly. In my mind, the Celestial Pact's 14th level ability is just too awesome, and I'd kick myself if I did anything to delay getting it. So my knee-jerk response is 15th level. But then you're putting off your 8th level Mystic Arcanum, so 16th level. Unless you need the ASI/Feat at 16th. So... 17th level? But that's when you finally get your 4th Pact Magic spell slot!

Drat. No idea. Is this why I never multi-class? I do believe it is.

Lord8Ball
2018-12-29, 08:49 PM
If you are only doing a two-level dip I would recommend going with a wizard (diviner/war magic).
Wizard
Dipping 2 levels in the wizard will get you 8 different spells and increase your utility and defensive abilities. Your only con would be lack of prepared spells if your intelligence is below a 14. You can Cast rituals from your spellbook with no need to prepare them.
Recommended spells:(P)prepare (R) Ritual
Mage armor(P), shield(P), absorb elements(P), fog cloud(P), find familiar(R), illusory script(R), detect magic(R), identify(R).
War wizard
Arcane deflection: It takes up your reaction and can give you 2 ac or +4 to a saving throw once every turn. The only downside is you can't cast a spell of first level or higher until the end of your next turn; however, due to your small amount of warlock spell slots and eldritch blast the downside is lesser.
Tactical wit:
+ x initiative equal to your intelligence modifier. No downsides here.
Diviner
Portent: You have two rolls you can impose on basically anything. It can save you from a pinch.

Aurosman
2018-12-29, 09:29 PM
My stats are 10,16,14,12,10, 20 in order. So as of right now wizard is out unless I improve my int. I don't honestly know if the campaign is going to be more combat or roleplay heavy, but survivability would be nice. The current party is a cavalier fighter, hunter ranger, war cleric, diviner wizard and a rogue. Even though I have 20 charisma I am not the face, due to me still learning to roleplay.

CTurbo
2018-12-29, 09:39 PM
My stats are 10,16,14,12,10, 20 in order. So as of right now wizard is out unless I improve my int. I don't honestly know if the campaign is going to be more combat or roleplay heavy, but survivability would be nice. The current party is a cavalier fighter, hunter ranger, war cleric, diviner wizard and a rogue. Even though I have 20 charisma I am not the face, due to me still learning to roleplay.

You've played from level 1 to level 3 now? What is it that you feel your character is missing or wish it could do better? What role have you been filling in the party? What role do you WANT to fill in the party? Why even multiclass in the first place? VERY few campaigns ever make it to the teen levels much less level 20. I wouldn't be quick to jump into another class just because the 20 level capstone is not interesting.

Crgaston
2018-12-29, 11:57 PM

Celestial is your Patron. If you're level 3, you should have chosen a Pact when you hit 3rd. Pact choices are Blade, Chain and Tome, and that choice will greatly impact your strategy and tactics. Which did you choose?

XmonkTad
2018-12-31, 11:33 AM
From your stats it looks like rogue is the best option. Gives you lots of survivability with cunning action, and better skills. You probably won't make much use of sneak attack.

As for bard/sorc, dips in either is very "meh" but if I had to chose then bard would win. Without the third level of sorc it just gives you very little. Flavor-wise, a celestial sorc might be kinda fun though.

Vogie
2018-12-31, 04:26 PM
I'd suggest 2 levels of Sorcerer.

Storm - Each time you cast a spell, you fly for 10'
Shadow - Strength of the Grave will literally keep stop you from dying, but only once/long rest. Also gives Darkvision if you don't have Devil's Sight.
Wild Magic - Free Advantage on demand, and Wild Magic Surge only triggers when you cast "a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher", so you would have much more control over when it goes off.
You also could go Divine Soul, but it'd only really give you Favored by the Gods and only access to Bless if you're lawful.

The most powerful will be the ability to crack unused pact slots into sorc points before a short rest. As long as you don't do any shenanigans outside of that, everything will be fine. Actively enjoy that all of those points go away when you do a long rest, and because if you decide to coffeelock around you'll probably be shown the door.

Another option would be Rogue for Cunning Actions - That unlocks your bonus actions to more than just Hex and Healing Lights, but doesn't give much else outside of that and expertise

I wouldn't multiclass until after 6 if you're a tomelock so you can augment your Fire Bolt damage. Otherwise, wait until after 5 so you have level 3 spells.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-12-31, 07:19 PM
From your stats it looks like rogue is the best option. Gives you lots of survivability with cunning action, and better skills. You probably won't make much use of sneak attack.

As for bard/sorc, dips in either is very "meh" but if I had to chose then bard would win. Without the third level of sorc it just gives you very little. Flavor-wise, a celestial sorc might be kinda fun though.

Sneak attack is rather useful for Blade Pact, not so much for Tome/Chain.

Then again, Chain Pact can almost always get advantage for their Sneak Attack via the Familiar's assistance....