PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Roleplaying the Sword of Kas

HoodedHero007
2018-12-30, 04:24 PM
In my campaign, it is likely that the PCs will encounter the Sword of Kas soon, and I'm not entirely sure how I intend to roleplay it.

The main problem is that this version has already caused the defeat of Vecna, and because of that, it went through a large amount of "soul-searching". After all, defeating Vecna had been its primary goal for a long time, and the way in which it responds to that could end up being very interesting. The current campaign takes place in a what amounts to The Final Empire from Mistborn, and the adventurers have been hired from a nearby City-State to take it down, so I've decided that the Sword will at least be willing to help the adventurers with that endeavor.

Yora
2018-12-30, 04:40 PM
Has the city state any connection to Vecna? If not, could you make one? Kas' hatered of Vecna is probably so great that the sword desires nothing else but to destroy Vecna and everything that he ruled.

HoodedHero007
2018-12-30, 04:58 PM
Has the city state any connection to Vecna? If not, could you make one? Kas' hatered of Vecna is probably so great that the sword desires nothing else but to destroy Vecna and everything that he ruled.
No, it doesn't. (I'm assuming you're talking about the Evil Empire, but neither it nor the City-State, Spyra, have any connection to Vecna)

And that's the thing, the Sword helped destroy Vecna and any traces of his influence, leaving the Sword with no real drive. It's an interesting concept that fits with the themes of the Campaign: The Struggle to Maintain one's Identity and The Consequences of a Changed Identity, both good and bad.

Additionally, the Sword probably decided to give itself a name, thoughts?

DeTess
2018-12-30, 05:04 PM
No, it doesn't. (I'm assuming you're talking about the Evil Empire, but neither it nor the City-State, Spyra, have any connection to Vecna)

And that's the thing, the Sword helped destroy Vecna and any traces of his influence, leaving the Sword with no real drive. It's an interesting concept that fits with the themes of the Campaign: The Struggle to Maintain one's Identity and The Consequences of a Changed Identity, both good and bad.

You seem to be somewhat familiar with the Cosmere, so maybe take some inspiration from Nightblood? The sword was initially involved in the fight against Vecna, and now that that's over it's lost. its looking for a new nemesis, but has trouble giving itself direction. In addition, its gotten quite philosophical on the nature of good and evil and the many shades of gray in between.

In essence, its still driven to fight evil, but it desires the input of the PC's to give it actual direction.

Foxydono
2018-12-30, 05:13 PM
I'm not familiar with most things you mentioned, but I do know a bit about Vecna. My best bet is that the sword of Kas would want to kill anyone that has the potential to become 'the new Vecna'. This would include most liches and could potentially also include powerful evil wizards.

Edit: as for roleplaying purposes, I think the sword would use the characters to gather information about liches and powerful wizards or those that want to buy/sell information about becoming a lich.

Yora
2018-12-30, 05:24 PM
The sword has been on a quest of destruction for ages. Now it can't imagine any other existence and just needs to continue destroying. It doesn't really care what.

HoodedHero007
2018-12-30, 05:28 PM
You seem to be somewhat familiar with the Cosmere, so maybe take some inspiration from Nightblood? The sword was initially involved in the fight against Vecna, and now that that's over it's lost. its looking for a new nemesis, but has trouble giving itself direction. In addition, its gotten quite philosophical on the nature of good and evil and the many shades of gray in between.

In essence, its still driven to fight evil, but it desires the input of the PC's to give it actual direction.
The way I saw it, the Sword drove Kas to go Starscream on Vecna from a CE standpoint: it was bitter at Vecna controlling it and its master, and after the two of them died, it wanted to completely annihilate the Lich-God that Killed its master and attempted to control both of them. It is still a CE Sword (Or maybe a bit more CN now) after all, and definitely wasn't given any Awakening Commands, especially not ones like "Destroy Evil".

I'm thinking that it'll still be Chaotic Evil or Chaotic Neutral, but with a more... evolved mindset. I just can't figure out exactly what.

I'm not familiar with most things you mentioned, but I do know a bit about Vecna. My best bet is that the sword of Kas would want to kill anyone that has the potential to become 'the new Vecna'. This would include most liches and could potentially also include powerful evil wizards.

Edit: as for roleplaying purposes, I think the sword would use the characters to gather information about liches and powerful wizards or those that want to buy/sell information about becoming a lich.
Perhaps. The ruler of the Evil Empire, Daggerthorn, is actually somewhat immortal, after all.

GreyBlack
2018-12-30, 06:05 PM
The sword, now in a state of insanity due to not having anything to hate or kill, has extended its hatred of Vecna out to all magic users. As such, the sword is constantly trying to convince his wielder to kill all the nearby magic users, including his allies. After all, what makes these magic users any different than Vecna?

Trustypeaches
2018-12-30, 06:11 PM
Honestly roleplaying the sword as an aimless, washed up artifact whose hung up on the glory days of hunting vecna sounds like fun.

“So we’re going to kill these goblins-“
“AGENTS OF VECNA, I PRESUME. LET US SLAY THESE VERMIN!”

Unoriginal
2018-12-30, 06:26 PM
I would play the Sword as an old rock star who has achieved planetary success 3 decades ago, and doesn't have to prove anything to anyone anymore, but who still misses the thrill of the old days when it was just three friends in a run down bus.

HoodedHero007
2018-12-30, 08:40 PM
I would play the Sword as an old rock star who has achieved planetary success 3 decades ago, and doesn't have to prove anything to anyone anymore, but who still misses the thrill of the old days when it was just three friends in a run down bus.
I like where you're going, but... I have a distinct lack of familiarity with that type of person. Are there any good examples of people with that type of mindset you can give me?