PDA

View Full Version : Share the inside joke (or a funny story)

Sindal
2018-12-31, 04:40 AM
Hi yall

Over the course of dnd your probably gonna have a moment that everyone remembers that no one else will get.
So lets share our stories. Or atleast one of those stories that really make your table 'your table' or a comment that just keeps beint referenced.Funny. Sad. Or just plain silly.

An inside joke: (what do your ranger eyes see)
My character is a standard archer ranger in one campaign. He tends to be the parties most consistent damage dealer. Hes also a gloomstalker,so he can see pretty well in the dark (more than his companions anyway)
This usually results in some threats to npcs being along the lines of "and if you run, kosh will just shoot you from the other side of the planet". And other comments about my eyes and lethality.

Funny story:
Our high elf wizard encountered a local in a zombie infected. After in-sighting him and failing, he trusted the man
After the predictable occurred and we were confronted with his dark side with more zombies. We all just heard that player yell "DIE PEASANT" from dead silence to the man the second he saw him

PhoenixPhyre
2018-12-31, 09:49 AM
"[Don't talk/It's not like I'm talking] to a dragon"

The first variant is used as a warning before someone does something obviously stupid (but in character); the second is a defense against accusations of moronic behavior.

This stems from a previous game where the party had just dropped a rock (from orbit...) on a Temple of Bad Things (and Tentacles) and were going there to clean up any remaining mess. They found a young green dragon with tentacles growing out of its back, still somewhat in shock in the ruins of the temple (which had shielding so it wasn't obliterated). The party druid decided that the appropriate thing to do was to go ask if the dragon needed any help because "it looked like it was in pain." In-character, this was perfect. The druid was a naive hippy and the party peacemaker. Out of character, it was obvious (to everyone else) that this was a bad idea. That this dragon was a minion of the Bad Things of the temple and probably insane/corrupted (TENTACLES!) at that.

They survived, but it was close.

kenposan
2018-12-31, 02:50 PM
I was running LMoP.

I made Sildar a pompous ass- taking credit where it wasn't due, exaggerating his involvement, etc.

So the party is at an inn and Sildar is regaling patrons with his darings do.

Sorcerer: I get up from the table, walk back 20 ft, turn around and cast Sleep.

Me: Sildar, in mid sentence, falls asleep, his head falling to the table.

I was hilarious.

Ganymede
2018-12-31, 03:08 PM
Back in first edition, I was playing in a friend's campaign. When I poured through a treasure horde we found, the DM informed us that we found a "chainmail tonic."

I'm like, "Ok, I drink it."

"You can't drink it."

"Ok then, I uncork the top and pour it all over myself."

"No, you can't do that. It is like a shirt made of chainmail."

"Ohhh, a tunic!"

EggKookoo
2018-12-31, 03:11 PM
Funny story. Not quite D&D: we played Ravenloft but in Call of Cthulhu. This was back in the 2e days and the GM adapted it to take place in the Dreamlands, a pocket dimension in the Lovecraftian universe.

The GM prepped us and told us we could create a master list of items we'd bring with us to the Dreamlands. We had to account for which character carried what stuff, which limited us based on weight, but otherwise whatever we put on the list we could bring. If we didn't put something on the list, we wouldn't have it and there would be absolutely no negotiations once the adventure started. So we the players huddled around the table and worked out a vampire-hunting gear list, making it as comprehensive as we could. We handed it to the GM, who read through it and approved it.

Fast forward to us infiltrating Vlad's castle. We get to a room with a bunch of sleeping vampires, crack open the caskets, and tell the GM "Ok, we hammer the stakes through their hearts."

The GM cocked an eyebrow. "You do what?"

"We hammer the stakes... wait... let me see the list. Yeah, we wrote down 'stakes' right there. Two dozen small ones and eight big three-footers. We hammer them in."

"With what?"

We had forgotten to write down "hammers."

DMThac0
2018-12-31, 05:23 PM
Oh in jokes at tables, these are always a lot of fun:

DM: So you turn into a mouse, crawl under the door, cool. The rest of you are outside looking at the boarded up door while she sneaks inside.
Party: We will wait for her to open the door, trying to break it down will get us unwanted attention.
*a few rolls and some exposition later*
Druid: Ok, I need to let those guys in. I know, I'll pull it off it's hinges!
Party: Why don't you just open the door?!

And there's the running joke about our Half-Orc lifting up our Dwarf a-la Lion King every time they're in a crowded place. Hint: she's always wearing a dress...

DM: So you have some down time, what do you all want to do:
*Queue random RP stuff and shopping*
Bard: I'm just going to chill in my room and play with the Ocarina, see if I can learn anything more about it.
DM: Oh, so after having it for a week you're now going to attune to it?
Bard: I though the trials to use it were enough to attune to it?!
DM: *hands sheet of paper to Bard
Bard: HOLY! This stuff would have come in handy....I should have attuned to it earlier...

Crgaston
2018-12-31, 07:35 PM
Back in the late '80's, in my college group, whenever something in a dungeon didn't make logical sense, like "Wait, where are these monsters getting their food from?" or some other logistical improbability, the DM would say "F### you, it's magic!" Needless to say, we ran with that one.

Current group, whenever someone rolls a 21 (with mods), we say "Twenty One" in a weird nasally voice. I believe it's some sort of pop culture reference with which I am not familiar, but it's been going on consistently for over a year.

"We're on a boat!" is used in another group to refocus whenever we get off-task with our joking around, in reference to an epic level of grabassery in a situation in which we were actually on a boat and trying to decide what to do.

DeTess
2018-12-31, 07:43 PM
Kobold Diplomacy. In my very first DnD campaign, we ended up encountering Kobolds in our first dungeon, and the party face roleld a natural 20 on a diplomacy roll, resulting in one of the Kobolds joining us for the rest of our adventures.

Since then it's been a running joke to consider befriending the wee evil critters when the opportunity arises, and its one of the reasons why in our current campaign we've got a Kobold army a couple thousand strong backing us up.

DataNinja
2018-12-31, 11:46 PM
Current group, whenever someone rolls a 21 (with mods), we say "Twenty One" in a weird nasally voice. I believe it's some sort of pop culture reference with which I am not familiar, but it's been going on consistently for over a year.
I do believe it's a reference to this Looney Tunes clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI4fex06rc4). I know that that's certainly what I hear every time that 21 comes up. :smallamused:

Karl Aegis
2019-01-01, 01:32 AM
My stories revolve around a nameless Half-Orc Warlock, a Guard Dog of the Marigi Family, known as "Marigi". Marigi subscribes to the philosophy that a fair fight between opponents is the best way to improve oneself and that singular combat with witnesses is the best way to spread one's reputation. Marigi would often forfeit his share of treasure if the quest did not align with his personal goals or the goals of his patron. His warlock patron demands he challenges things to 1v1 if their is a reasonable chance of winning and there is glory to be gained or if someone dishonors the patron somehow. The patron is most pleased with a victory by default. His skill set was one of a bounty hunter and a diplomat.

DM: You see a brown bear in the woods aggressively moving towards you.
Marigi: I challenge the bear to a 1v1 and call it a noob.
DM: The bear accepts your challenge.

A few rounds of combat later, with no intervention of the other four party members.

DM: The bear knocks you unconcious and you are dying.

Thus began the legend of the guy who would challenge things to a 1v1 and die horribly.

Other things challenged to a 1v1:
The mayor of Bandit City, who wouldn't prevent his goons from shooting Marigi with crossbows in the back as Marigi was walking away. Result: Marigi took his skull and attempted to turn it in as a bounty. No rewards were given. Much to his chagrin, Marigi did not become the new mayor of Bandit City. Marigi earned a bounty on his head from the new mayor of Bandit City for several... days. Many bandits were slain.

A random group of bandits who fire their crossbows at Marigi's back... in a sandstorm. Marigi challenges one of the bandits to a 1v1. One of the party members, a rogue, (that stood around during the bear and bandit mayor incidents) decides they had to draw their unbreakable katana and steal the last hit from Marigi. Result: Dead bandit and party member challenged to a 1v1 in place of the bandit.

The intra-party 1v1: Marigi challenges the rogue to a 1v1. The rogue concedes defeat before weapons can be swung, thereby forfeiting their shares of the spoils (5 gold pieces for an eighth level character). When Marigi decides to use the 15 gold pieces to conduct a makeshift funeral the rogue decides it's in their best interest to once again draw their unbreakable katana and try to stab Marigi in the back. They miss. Marigi decides this decision was dishonoring him, his patron and his powers. Initiative was rolled and the rogue had to run away for fear of being knocked unconscious and hogtied. There was much flexing during this incident. Result: we used a paladin spell slot and a handful of healing potions. Marigi decided he needed to part ways with the party when they got back to town after saving the Pope from assassins. The quest the party was on could not have been completed if Marigi had been slain as the communique from the Pope was in possession of Marigi's temporarily dismissed familiar.

Marigi's World Tour was initially an excuse to take a quest that nobody was interested in because it involved traveling the entire world to have some halflings throw a ring into a volcano. The halflings wanted to take a roundabout path through the mountains that nobody in the party had been to before. It was the perfect chance to tour the world. It evolved into a joke when every single Huge size monster tried to swallow Marigi whole and digest him. The joke was if you were swallowed by a giant monster you would be participating in "Marigi's World Tour".

This started when Marigi was obviously winning versus his opponent and had the opportunity to try to intimidate them into surrendering. Examples include:

The turn when both a crossbow and a short sword broke when trying to attack Marigi. We were playing with fumble rules at the time.
The turn when a Shatter spell decimated 80% of the enemy forces.
When Marigi 1v1ed the mayor of Bandit City in a dark alleyway in the middle of the night and took the mayor's head.
When the Fighter single-handedly fought off several skeletons, taking minimal damage. Underwater.
When bird people attacked the party and had no chance of winning. Telepathy did not work for some reason.
When a Tyrannosaurus Rex had Marigi in it's mouth, didn't kill him and Marigi swung back within it's mouth and killed it.
When Marigi jumped onto the roof of the Pope's cathedral and dunked a would-be assassin.The assassin's sizable entourage had to be flexed upon.
After Marigi had left the party, the new guy, a bard, tried flexing on the most swole bird person to ever exist. The bird person flexed back.

Astofel
2019-01-01, 01:48 AM
In-joke 1: Orcman
One of the players in my campaign is playing a half-orc paladin named Krag, no last name. Despite the fact that Krag is not the only PC with no last name, for some reason the other players were fixated on giving him one. One player eventually suggested that his name was Krag Orcman, which everyone found hilarious for reasons I'm not sure of. Soon enough everyone and everything with an uncertain name was called Orcman. Eventually I decided to put an actual Orcman in my campaign as an NPC. He's an archdruid who was raised by wyverns, and he got his name when he was first discovered by a pair of humans, one of whom yelled "holy **** it's an orc, man!" Orcman just assumed that must be what he was.

In-joke 2: The Bingo Sheet
In another game I was in someone made a bingo sheet out of regular player (not character) antics. It included things like "player x calls someone stupid when they roll a 21", "player y 'well actually...'s someone's interpretation of a rule", "someone disputes a GM ruling" and so on. All in good fun, of course.

Gydian
2019-01-01, 02:29 AM
I have a character obsessed with cleaning. When ever the party is trying to sneak into a place he suggests impersonating the cleaning staff. His justification: "I have my own broom"

Im kind of known for that line now.

solidork
2019-01-02, 11:45 AM
Last session, we started into the vault from Dragon Heist and Laeral Silverhand decided to accompany us when we told her we had found the way in. At one point I had to use Hypnotic Pattern in such a way that it hit some of our party members and she decided to snap our tank out of it by removing her shoe and throwing it at him.

We had a bard that got REALLY into cleaning things with Prestidigitation. Every time something was described as being dirty she would chime in with "Presti-dig-itation!" This was all well and good until she cleaned up some dirt that was a vital clue to solving a puzzle before we had a chance to examine it.

Raynor007
2019-01-02, 12:06 PM
We were playing LMoP, and my Cleric (RPed as a Western Lawman a la Tombstone) suspected the Townmaster was in league with the Redbrads, and tried to intimidate him by kicking him down some stairs. Townmaster critfailed his save and died on the spot. A long story with good planning and execution later, and the party ends up owning the Sleeping Giant Inn, and turned it into the center for their endeavors going forward. Because it turned out so well for the party, in other campaigns someone inevitably suggests "Kicking the Townmaster" as a solution to most social situations.