PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerous Origin: Rage Mage (variant) [PEACH]

Arkhios
2018-12-31, 07:21 AM
In the silent hours of my relatively short-lived holiday, I came up with the variant alternative for my Primal Path: Rage Mage.

Based on the fact that the original Rage Mage prestige class from 3.5 was described as tapping into the primal emotion of magic, it seemed appropriate to make it a Sorcerous Origin. As mentioned above, the previous Rage Mage iteration I made was a barbarian capable of casting spells drawn from the sorcerer spell list, in their own special way (an amalgam of Pact Magic, Ki Points, and Spell Points). This time around I wanted to explore whether it would make more sense as an actual sorcerer, in a similar vein as the Bladesinger or the Hexblade.

Mark of Fury
At 1st level, your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class. You gain proficiency in light and medium armors.

In addition, choose one light or versatile melee weapon. You gain proficiency with that weapon if you didn't already have it, and can make melee weapon attacks with that weapon using your Charisma modifier instead of your Strength or Dexterity modifier.

Font of Fury
Starting at 1st level, you can enter a supernatural rage fueled by your innate magic. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action. While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren't wearing heavy armor:

You have Advantage on Charisma checks and Charisma saving throws.
When you make a melee weapon attack using Charisma, you gain a bonus to the damage roll equal to your proficiency bonus.
You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

You can't cast spells or concentrate on them while raging. Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven't attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action. Once you have raged twice, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.

Spell Fury
At 6th level, once per turn, when you cast a spell, you can expend 3 sorcery points and choose one of the following effects:

One target of the spell has Disadvantage on the first saving throw against that spell.
You have Advantage on one spell attack roll with that spell.
You may add your Charisma modifier to one damage roll of that spell.

Additionally, when you are raging and make the Attack Action, you can attack twice instead of once.

Primal Resilience
At 14th level, you gain resistance against cold, fire, or lightning damage (your choice). While raging, you instead have immunity against that damage type and resistance against the other two damage types.

Single-Minded Fury
At 18th level, you are able to cast spells and concentrate on them while raging, but you lose concentration if you cast another spell, even if the spell being cast doesn't require concentration.
In addition, you may replace up to one of your sorcerer spells known for each spell level up to 3rd with another sorcerer spell that requires concentration.