PDA

View Full Version : Ravnica Paladin Advice

Mattzewild
2018-12-31, 07:59 AM
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before. Basically I'm looking for advice on the better races in Ravnica for a paladin.

I have a party of 6 who have played together for a while and for the most part they aren't min/max-y, however a couple of the players are a bit more savvy as to what is going to work and as a result they tend to dominate the damage pool at later levels.

One of the players who isn't quite as savvy has opted to play a paladin and has asked for help building it, she isn't too fussed about optimisation but I'd like to give her the best start at least so that she isnt demoralised straight away.

So in essence I'd like some help building the character. Ravnica races bar centaur (non-variant human, elves, half elves, goblin, loxodon, minotaur, sonic hybrid and vedalken), starting with a feat. And beginning the campaign at level 5 with 1 uncommon magic item.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Madfellow
2018-12-31, 01:04 PM
Ravnica races are centaur, non-variant human, elves, half elves, goblin, loxodon, minotaur, Simic hybrid and vedalken.

Centaur is good for the strength and speed boosts; it can get into melee quickly and be strong on the front lines. The speed boost can also help in getting to wounded party members for Cure Wounds or Lay on Hands. Overall a solid option, and one that leans toward the Selesnya Conclave or possibly the Gruul Clans.

Human is also good, since paladins can be a bit MAD (multi-attribute dependent) at times.

Elf is good if she wants a dexterity-based build. A dark elf paladin could be interesting if she'd want to join the Golgari Swarm.

Half-elf is amazing, boosting charisma and two other attributes, granting two skills, and dark vision. Crazy good for a paladin.

Goblin would also be nice for a dexterity build, boosting constitution as well. Good for a Boros character.

Loxodon boosts constitution, which is useful for any character, but otherwise doesn't offer a whole lot. Good for a Selesnya character, but I think centaur is better.

Minotaur boosts strength and constitution, very nice for a Boros character.

Simic hybrid boosts constitution and one other attribute, grants dark vision, and a couple other choice perks. It's an interesting option for an Oath of the Ancients paladin.

Vedalken doesn't really have much going for it that a paladin wants. Not a strong option here.

So between all of these, my recommendation would be for centaur, half-elf, or dark elf, depending on what she wants most out of the character.

HappyDaze
2018-12-31, 02:49 PM
If you're into the themes of Ravnica, look at their suggestions. For example, Paladins with Oath of Devotion are a Boros thing. Within Boros we see that goblins, humans, and minotaurs are most common. Of these, I prefer the minotaur for a solid Strength-based build that's very fitting with the world. OTOH, half-elves are very nice, but only really common among the Dimir (where Paladins are rare) and the Selesnya Conclave. The latter can be a great choice for a Paladin with Oath of Redemption, and it makes for the "peace and love...or else" type of protectors.

Sigreid
2018-12-31, 04:44 PM
Half elf really is hands down the best race for a paladin, oddly even beating out assimar.