PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Druid Archetype-- Circle of Vermin

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-31, 12:18 PM
Circle of Vermin
While Druids recognize the importance of all types of life, few spare much thought for the smaller, grosser inhabitants of the world. Druids of the Circle of Vermin, however, know in their hearts that without bugs, life as we know it would not exist.

A Bug’s Life: Beginning at 2nd level, you have advantage on Nature checks to recall information about insects and other vermin, and you may attempt to influence their behavior with a Wisdom (Animal Handling) check.

In addition, you learn the Infestation cantrip, which does not count towards you total number of cantrips known. When you cast it, you may choose to have it deal either acid or poison damage.

Vermin Shape: Beginning at 2nd level, you can use your Wild Shape as a bonus action, rather than an action, in order to assume one of the following shapes: Giant Centipede, Giant Crab, Giant Fire Beetle, Giant Spider, Giant Strider, Giant Wolf Spider, Rust Monster, Scorpion, Spider, Stirge, Swarm of Beetles, Swarm of Centipedes, Swarm of Insects, Swarm of Rot Grubs, Swarm of Spiders, or Swarm of Wasps.

While in one of your Vermin Forms, you may cast Infestation without having to provide the normal components.

Insect Strike: Beginning at 6th level, your attacks and cantrips while in Vermin form deal an additional 1d6 acid or poison damage. As a bonus action, you may expend a spell slot to cause your natural weapons to count as magical for one minute per level of the expended slot.

Improved Vermin Shape: Beginning at 6th level, and at every third level thereafter, you may take more powerful forms using your Vermin Shape ability.

6th: Ankheg, Carrion Crawler, Ettercap, Giant Crayfish, Giant Fly, Giant Wasp
9th: Cave Fisher, Choldrith, "Giant Mantis" (using the stats of a Hook Horror, but a beast), Giant Scorpion, Phase Spider
12th: Chuul, “Titan Beetle” (using the stats of a Stegasaurus)
15th: Hulking Crab, Otyugh, Roper, Umber Hulk, or Young Remorhaz
18th: Chasme, Drider, "Siege Beetle" (using the stats of a Mammoth)

Venom Veins: Beginning at 10th level, you gain immunity to acid, poison, and disease.

Plaguebringer: Beginning at 14th level, you learn the spells Contagion and Insect Plague—you always have them prepared, and they don't count against the number of spells you can prepare each day. You may cast them normally while in Vermin form, and may make a melee attack as a bonus action after doing so.

Vogie
2019-01-02, 10:57 AM
Surprised I'm the first comment

Some thoughts:

Is there a reason that the Vermin Druid doesn't learn the Acid Splash and/or Infestation while not in Vermin Form?
Personally, I'd think you'd follow the Spore Druid Template, throwing in some other spells like Giant Insect, Plant Growth, and Protection from Poison, et cetera, into an Expanded spell list, with the "Once you gain access to one of these spells, you always have it prepared, and it doesn't count against the number of spells you can prepare each day. If you gain access to a spell that doesn't appear on the druid spell list, the spell is nonetheless a druid spell for you. "
That makes sure the Vermin Druid has access to Contagion & Insect Plague at level 9, as they're expanded spells, then further altered at level 14 with Plaguebringer.
I'd like to see another giant vermin (or swarm?) at higher levels for the Improved Vermin Shape. Maybe an updated Swarm form from 3.0 or converted Swarm Form from Pathfinder?
Speaking of Plaguebringer, I feel like there could be more done there. Maybe mixing in Contagion as a bonus action after you make a melee attack in either form. I also think it needs a limiter of some variety, so you're not just spamming Contagion in between attacks.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-02, 11:30 AM
Surprised I'm the first comment

Some thoughts:
[LIST]
Is there a reason that the Vermin Druid doesn't learn the Acid Splash and/or Infestation while not in Vermin Form?
...there is not.

Personally, I'd think you'd follow the Spore Druid Template, throwing in some other spells like Giant Insect, Plant Growth, and Protection from Poison, et cetera, into an Expanded spell list, with the "Once you gain access to one of these spells, you always have it prepared, and it doesn't count against the number of spells you can prepare each day. If you gain access to a spell that doesn't appear on the druid spell list, the spell is nonetheless a druid spell for you. "
That makes sure the Vermin Druid has access to Contagion & Insect Plague at level 9, as they're expanded spells, then further altered at level 14 with Plaguebringer.

The core was the Wild Shape expansion, so I tried to follow the Moon Druid template (the progression of new forms matches theirs). Do you think there's room for an expanded spell list? Something like

1 detect poison and disease, ray of sickness
2 protection from poison, web
3 bestow curse, stinking cloud
4 blight, giant insect
5 contagion, insect plague

I'd like to see another giant vermin (or swarm?) at higher levels for the Improved Vermin Shape. Maybe an updated Swarm form from 3.0 or converted Swarm Form from Pathfinder?
I'll take another look at the MM/Volo's and see if there's anything else that looks close enough.

Speaking of Plaguebringer, I feel like there could be more done there. Maybe mixing in Contagion as a bonus action after you make a melee attack in either form. I also think it needs a limiter of some variety, so you're not just spamming Contagion in between attacks.
Hmm...