PDA

View Full Version : Tier 3/Level 11 planning for level 12

ZorroGames
2018-12-31, 12:18 PM
Assuming I do not immediately die at this new tier...

My AL PC is a Fighter, Earth Genasi, BM, GWF, Mariner’s Plate, Cloak of Manta Ray, Goggles of Night, +2 Maul, +1/+2 versus plants 🤨 Long Sword, +1 Short Sword, Ring Fire Resistance.

ST 20, DE 10, CO 18, IN 10, WI 14, CH 8.

Proficiencies in Athletics, Insight, Perception, Survival.

ASI/Feat at 12?

Survived, barely, Vampire Bullywug Saturday so CO 20 is tempting.

Alert?

Athlete?

Grappler?

GWM?

Mage Slayer?

Mobile?

Resilient WI?

Sentinel?

SM?

Tough?

CTurbo
2018-12-31, 02:28 PM
You have a 0 in Dex? How do you even function? lol

After playing through 11 levels with this guy, what do you feel he's missing or what do you wish he could do better?

I see 3 things that immediately come to mind.

1. Wisdom saves are your biggest obvious weakness, BUT has this been a problem so far? Res(Wis) is a good pickup anyway.

2. The other most obvious weakness is what does your guy do outside of combat? I LOVE Ritual Caster for Fighters and Barbs. I actually almost view Ritual Caster as mandatory for Fighters considering how many ASIs they get. Anyway, it really opens up your options for the other two pillars of the game. The same can be said about Magic Initiate to a lesser degree. Both or either are GREAT picks for Fighters.

3. Want to make your Strength even stronger? Take Sentinel. Many people view it as a control feat, but to me, it's always been an offensive feat. To me, there is no better use of your reaction than to make an attack. Combines well with Riposte. Becomes less great if somebody else in the party already has it so keep that in mind.

4. Want boring but effective? Mobile, Alert, Tough, and Lucky(and Res) are my go-to "great for everybody" feats.

ZorroGames
2018-12-31, 03:41 PM
You have a 0 in Dex? How do you even function? lol

After playing through 11 levels with this guy, what do you feel he's missing or what do you wish he could do better?

I see 3 things that immediately come to mind.

1. Wisdom saves are your biggest obvious weakness, BUT has this been a problem so far? Res(Wis) is a good pickup anyway.

2. The other most obvious weakness is what does your guy do outside of combat? I LOVE Ritual Caster for Fighters and Barbs. I actually almost view Ritual Caster as mandatory for Fighters considering how many ASIs they get. Anyway, it really opens up your options for the other two pillars of the game. The same can be said about Magic Initiate to a lesser degree. Both or either are GREAT picks for Fighters.

3. Want to make your Strength even stronger? Take Sentinel. Many people view it as a control feat, but to me, it's always been an offensive feat. To me, there is no better use of your reaction than to make an attack. Combines well with Riposte. Becomes less great if somebody else in the party already has it so keep that in mind.

4. Want boring but effective? Mobile, Alert, Tough, and Lucky(and Res) are my go-to "great for everybody" feats.

Other players in pickup AL games think of me as a “tank” but my experience with the Bullywug Vampire says otherwise. That is why I considered Tough. I pretty much have been the main martial with spellcasters. Some OH Monks, Usually one of Ranger, Paladin, or Dex Fighter. Rarely a Rogue.

WI saves have been difficult but so far worked through the problem.

Out of Combat? Use my survival skills from a Outlander in the wilderness. Physical OOC challenges. Use my player experiences “since Gygax” to suggest options. Only once challenged by a DM about what my character might know.

Toyed with a dip into Cleric...

Would Mobile stack with Cloak or Armor Swimming Speeds?

CTurbo
2018-12-31, 04:04 PM
A single War Cleric dip would be a great for a GWM maul wielding fighter. I'd probably take Res(Wis). Maybe later grab Observant to bump Wis to 16.

Mobile boosts ALL speeds as far as I know.

ZorroGames
2018-12-31, 04:14 PM
Ritual Caster. Rounding up half of 12 to 6...

So if I find a written ritual spell for say, Cleric or Druid given my 14 wisdom, of 6th level spell (or is it as 6th level Cleric,) I can add it to my starting two first level spells in my ritual book?

CTurbo
2018-12-31, 04:25 PM
Ritual Caster. Rounding up half of 12 to 6...

So if I find a written ritual spell for say, Cleric or Druid given my 14 wisdom, of 6th level spell (or is it as 6th level Cleric,) I can add it to my starting two first level spells in my ritual book?

It's even better than that. You can scribe ANY Ritual you find for the rest of your career. Not just the Wis based ones as far as I know.

Crgaston
2018-12-31, 07:53 PM
It's even better than that. You can scribe ANY Ritual you find for the rest of your career. Not just the Wis based ones as far as I know.

You're probably thinking of Book of Ancient Secrets, the Warlock invocation. Ritual Caster makes you pick a class.

I'd say pick Wizard because they mostly have the best list, but Forbiddance is on the Cleric list, and it's one of only 2 6th level rituals and crazy powerful in the right campaign, so if that looks like it'd be useful to you...

@OP, you can scribe spells equal to or less than half your character level, so 6th level spells.

ZorroGames
2019-01-02, 11:00 AM
Thanks to all who have responded.