PDA

View Full Version : Cruella De Vil inspired villain

Zhentarim
2018-12-31, 12:22 PM
This is just a thought experiment.

If you were making a 1st-level, 5th-level, 10th-level, 15th-level, or 20th-level villain for your campaign inspired by this character, what class and alignment would you select and why? Would there be tweaks to the backstory to fit the setting?

Florian
2018-12-31, 01:22 PM
That's not really an interesting example. Her only motivation is greed and she is shown to be ruthless. That's basically plain-vanilla villainy of the cheapest sort. Could be any alignment, any class, from a story perspective, the only thing relevant is that she wants something and bosses people around to get her that thing.

Troacctid
2018-12-31, 01:24 PM
Probably I'd have her capturing flumphs for their psychic energy, rather than puppies for their fur. Seems like a great excuse to use flumphs in a campaign.

TheCount
2018-12-31, 02:21 PM
A hunter of exotic and/or Sacred Animals maybe? I mean, if they are after animal pelts....

Could also be a transhumanist or trans-whatever-ist if not human, collecting the bodyparts for thier ideal body.... in wich case, fleswarper would be favorfull, though, most graft wouldnt warrant adventurers hunting you, so maybe hombrew or refluff some?

Could aslo be a kind of champion/challanger doing it for bragging rights.... and the thropies, ofc... (wasnt there a barbarian like that?)

maybe they have no ill intent or anything of the like towards the creatures they abduct, as they do release the after a time unharmed (maybe even healtier), but they kidnapped an inteligent creature the PCs are on friendly terms?

zfs
2018-12-31, 03:05 PM
Could aslo be a kind of champion/challanger doing it for bragging rights.... and the thropies, ofc... (wasnt there a barbarian like that?)

I believe so, though we both may be thinking of the Trophy Collector feat (PHB II, p. 83) which anyone with 6 ranks in Craft can take.

Florian
2018-12-31, 03:12 PM
There're two archetypes for the PF Occultist that would fit. One is the Silksworn that gains power by wearing ever more gaudy clothing and jewelry, the other is the Psychodermist, that manages to gain power by hunting and wearing trophies of creatures. Skinning those doggies for a nice cloak actually boosts their Enchantment spells and nets them FavEnemy: Animals....

TheCount
2018-12-31, 04:04 PM
I believe so, though we both may be thinking of the Trophy Collector feat (PHB II, p. 83) which anyone with 6 ranks in Craft can take.

YES! i was thinking about that! the barbarian just seemed to fit with the theme....oh well, that opens up a LOT more build possibilities:D

Zhentarim
2018-12-31, 05:01 PM
There're two archetypes for the PF Occultist that would fit. One is the Silksworn that gains power by wearing ever more gaudy clothing and jewelry, the other is the Psychodermist, that manages to gain power by hunting and wearing trophies of creatures. Skinning those doggies for a nice cloak actually boosts their Enchantment spells and nets them FavEnemy: Animals....

I love it!

Maat Mons
2018-12-31, 05:42 PM
In D&D, the most desirable creatures to make things out of are dragons.

A dragoncraft breastplate is light armor. Dragoncraft fullplate is medium armor. And neither of them violate a druid's oaths. I can't think of any other "like mythril but" option for druids.

And you need a colossal dragon to make a medium breastplate or medium armor. How many of those do you think there are around? If the only colossal dragon you can find is good-aligned... well you can't be too picky.

Plus, good guys wear shiny armor. You're a good guy, right? So you need to make your armor from the shiny kind of dragon. I mean, you walk around dressed up like an evil dragon, you're going to get well-meaning paladins chasing after you.

The only problem with making a villain who's out to kill a great wyrm gold dragon is, the players would probably just wait for him to succeed, then swoop in and kill him when he's weakened. You get the dragon horde. You get the dragoncraft armor. You get all the bad guy's loot. And you can just tell the villagers who used to live under the dragon's protection that you couldn't stop him in time.

Zaq
2018-12-31, 08:13 PM
A coat made out of 101 blink dog pelts would probably be a pretty impressive item. And since blink dogs are intelligent and LG, we're definitely into nasty villain territory.