PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Dwarves of the North Sea (Glacier Dwarf/Seacliff Dwarf/Viking hybrid)

Maat Mons
2018-12-31, 03:49 PM
I posted in another homebrew thread (which was not on the homebrew forum), and suggested what I felt was an interesting medley of dwarves.

Now, we're all familiar with glacier dwarves, from Frostburn. But I think making them just "standard dwarves, with ice instead of stone" missed an opportunity. You see, a glacier an iceberg is an island. And an island-dwelling people need to sail the sea. They need to harvest the bounty of the ocean to feed themselves. They need to traverse the sea to trade with others. And they need a standing navy to fend off attackers.

But contrary to this, the only sailing dwarves we got were seacliff dwarves, from Stormwrack. And even among them, sailors are a rare exception. Most of them only know how to swim because storms sometimes flood their lower chambers.

I think an honest-to-god seafaring group of dwarves would be a fresh and interesting take on things. And living in glaciers icebergs is the most reasonable explanation I've come across for why any dwarves would make that jump.

They may have started out living in mountains. But as they spread further north, they began extending their tunnel networks into the plentiful ice. And they also may have taken up fishing, to compensate for the lessening amounts of other foods. They wouldn't even need boats at first. They could go ice fishing from caves slightly above the waterline.

And, one day, when the world began to grow warmer, dwarves now living on the ice cap found their homes melting. they may have magically enchanted their glaciers to stay cold. Or used fleets of ships to tow them further north, where they would be safe from the thaw. And now, having no iceborn route to their warmer-dwelling brethren, they truly embraced sailing.

Anyway, here's the original post I made.

Imagine a cross between Glaciar Dwarves, Seacliff Dwarves, and vikings. They live in ice caves in floating cities carved from glaciers icebergs. They have a strong seafaring tradition, because their home is basically a small, mobile island. They are fierce raiders, often flying into a fury in battle. And they have a strong tradition of composing epic poems to commemorate great battles and mighty heroes.

+2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence
Medium
Speed 20 feet. Speed not reduced by armor.
Darkvision 60 ft
Weapon Familiarity: Automatically proficient with throwing axe, handaxe, battleaxe, and greataxe. Treat dwarven waraxe and harpoon as martial weapons.
Stability: +4 vs. bull rush or trip
+2 bonus vs. poison
Sea Legs: +4 to balance on ships. Ignore movement penalty for slippery deck.
Ignore armor check penalty for swim checks. Swim is always a class skill.
Winter Stride: Can move through loose snow at full speed. +4 to balance checks on ice.
Skaldic Tradition: +2 on perform checks. Perform is always a class skill.
Icecunning: As glacier dwarf.
Cold Tolerant: As glacier dwarf.
+2 appraise and craft with ice and snow
Favored Class: Barbarian

So, does anyone have any thoughts on this concept? Either fluff or mechanics? I'm still very much up in the air on everything.

Edit: It has come to my attention that "glaciers" specifically refers to masses of ice on land, and that masses of ice on water are instead called "icebergs." Sorry about that.

rferries
2019-01-02, 02:07 AM
Nothing to add other than I love the flavour. The visual of an iceberg island-fortress is very appealing. :)

Maat Mons
2019-01-02, 08:29 PM
After thinking for a bit, there are a few specific questions I'd like to put to the community.

Copying Abilities

Glacier Dwarves differ from Hill Dwarves as follows:

Lose Stonecunning; gain Icecunning
Lose poison resistance; gain cold tolerance
Lose bonus on Craft and Appraise with metal and stone; gain bonus on Craft and Appraise with snow, ice, and special frostfell materials

Seacliff Dwarves differ from Hill Dwarves as follows:

Lose attack bonus vs. orcs and goblinoids; gain gain strong swimmer

Would it be uncreative for me to copy these changes? Bearing in mind that I would be making other changes. So this wouldn't literally wind up being "Glacier Dwarves crossed with Seacliff Dwarves."

Actually, there are a couple of things among those special abilities that I'm not too keen on copying.

For example, a bonus on Appraise and Craft checks related to snow? I have difficulty imagining that coming in handy. Crafting with ice makes sense, since that's exactly what their homes are made out of. Appraising with ice doesn't really make sense, unless the term is taken to include Blue Ice, Rimfire Ice, and Stygian Ice.

Replacing Abilities

Assuming I copy Glacier Dwarves and Seacliff Dwarves in removing Stonecunning, the standard Appraise/Craft bonuses, poison resistance, and orc/goblin-fighting bonuses, that seems to leave me with the following abilities to potentially replace.

Ability adjustments
Weapon Familiarity
Saves versus spells/spell-like abilities
AC bonus against giants

I'd really like to keep medium size, 20-foot speed, and moving at full speed in armor. Those all strike me as being pretty iconic Dwarf traits. For a moment, I considered replacing darkvision. My thinking was, sailors need to be able to see farther than 60 feet away to navigate. And up in the arctic circle, you can go a month or more without the sun rising. So maybe these guys should have low-light vision? But icebergs don't look all that transparent, and burning torches for light in an ice cave seems like less than an ideal situation. So I think they really need to keep the darkvision.

Weapon Familiarity

As far as exotic weapons to treat as martial, dwarven waraxe still seems fitting. Dwarven urgrosh seems kind of off-theme to me though. Ice axe and harpoon seem like fitting additions though.

Would aquatic crossbow be to niche to add? I mean, their preferred mode of combat uses ships. I feel like being in the water is something they'd seek to avoid during combat.

Earlier, I was considering giving elf-style Weapon Familiarity. You know, automatic proficiency, instead of downgrading the needed proficiency. Would that be too much of a deviation from Dwarf tradition? If I want dwarves of less martial classes to be able to use axes, should I just make a dwarf-only feat that gives proficiency with the martial axes?

Skill Bonuses

I'd kind of like to keep the bonus to Appraise and Craft with metals, but ditch the bonus with stone. And I'd like to give a bonus to Appraise and Craft with ice. (And to also have that bonus apply to exotice ices, like blue ice, rimfire ice, and stygian ice.) Would that be reasonable? Even though Glacier Dwarves lose the bonus with metal?

A racial bonus to balance when on ice seems appropriate. Should it be +4, like their Stability bonus? Or +2 like their other skill bonuses? Should it also apply on wet surface too? Or just ice? Should I go further, and just have these dwarves ignore all effects of slippery surfaces? (Including double movement costs?)

Seacliff Dwares get a bonus to Swim. I might keep that. I'm also considering a bonus to Profession (sailor). Are there any other skills I should consider?

Low-Light Vision

Should these guys get low-light vision? Or can they sail through the months-long arctic night just fine without it?

Swimming

I'd like to include an ability to facilitate swimming in heavy armor. Is just ignoring the (doubled) armor check penalty on swim checks the way to do this? Or should I look for some other route?

Should this be on top of the swim bonuses of Seacliff Dwarves, or instead of them?

sandmote
2019-01-03, 01:25 AM
This sounds like a really interesting idea.

Thematically, I don't think iceberg dwarves would work a lot of metal, given the typical relationship between forges and ice.

Mechanically, I think all that would be reasonable for me to comment on is that underwater crossbows don't sound fitting, and a bonus to all slippery surfaces sounds a bit strong (at least with a bunch of other bonuses).

If ignoring the armor penalty for swim checks is too powerful, maybe half it?

Maat Mons
2019-01-05, 01:05 AM
Okay, how's this look so far?

Kaldirmann Dwarf Racial Traits
+2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence. Kaldirmann dwarves are stout and tough, but their harsh homeland doesn't permit much time for intellectual pursuits.
Medium-sized: As medium-sized creature, kaldirmann dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Kaldirmann dwarf base speed is 20. However, kaldirmann dwarves can move at this speed even if they are wearing medium or heavy armor, or if they are carrying a medium or heavy load.
Cold Tolerant: Kaldirmann dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against cold damage and cold effects. Kaldirmann dwarves can also exist comfortably in conditions between -20 and 90 degrees F without having to make a fortitude save. This counts as the Cold Endurance feat for the purposes of fulfilling prerequisites.
Darkvision: Kaldirmann dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 ft. Darkvision is only black and white, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and kaldirmann dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
Ice Stride: A kaldirmann dwarf can walk across ice with no fear of slipping. A kaldirmann dwarf does not pay double movement costs for entering squares of icy terrain. A kaldirmann dwarf doesn't need to make Balance checks merely because terrain is icy. If a kaldirmann dwarf does have to make a Balance check (such as for a narrow surface) the kaldirmann dwarf ignores any difficulty modifiers stemming from the surface being icy.
Icecraft: A kaldirmann dwarf gains a +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Craft checks that are related to snow, ice or special frostfell materials.
Icecunning: Icecunning grants kaldirmann dwarves a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual icework, such as sliding walls, icework traps, new construction, unsafe ice or snow surfaces, shaky ice or snow ceilings, or hazards in ice and snow or the like. Something that is not ice or snow but that is disguised as ice or snow also counts as unusual icework. A kaldirmann dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual icework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching and a kaldirmann dwarf can use the Search skill to find icework traps as a rogue can.
Poetic Soul: A kaldirmann dwarf gains a +2 racial bonus on Perform checks.
Seafaring Tradition: A kaldirmann dwarf gains a +2 racial bonus of Profession (sailor) checks.
Stability: Kaldirmann dwarves are exceptionally stable on their feet. A kaldirmann dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing firmly on the ground.
Weapon Familiarity: Kaldirmann dwarves may treat ice axes, harpoons, and dwarven waraxes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Any. The merchant ships of kaldirmann dwarves have been know to visit strange harbors.
Favored Class: Barbarian.

I'm really not sure about to bonuses to Perform and Profession (sailor).

sandmote
2019-01-05, 01:50 AM
If you're worried about perform, maybe limit the bonuses to Perform (Oratory) checks? The perform skills for singing, wind instruments, or string instruments could also fit with Scandinavian influence.

Kyrell1978
2019-01-05, 02:03 AM
I posted in another homebrew thread (which was not on the homebrew forum), and suggested what I felt was an interesting medley of dwarves.

Now, we're all familiar with glacier dwarves, from Frostburn. But I think making them just "standard dwarves, with ice instead of stone" missed an opportunity. You see, a glacier an iceberg is an island. And an island-dwelling people need to sail the sea. They need to harvest the bounty of the ocean to feed themselves. They need to traverse the sea to trade with others. And they need a standing navy to fend off attackers.

But contrary to this, the only sailing dwarves we got were seacliff dwarves, from Stormwrack. And even among them, sailors are a rare exception. Most of them only know how to swim because storms sometimes flood their lower chambers.

I think an honest-to-god seafaring group of dwarves would be a fresh and interesting take on things. And living in glaciers icebergs is the most reasonable explanation I've come across for why any dwarves would make that jump.

They may have started out living in mountains. But as they spread further north, they began extending their tunnel networks into the plentiful ice. And they also may have taken up fishing, to compensate for the lessening amounts of other foods. They wouldn't even need boats at first. They could go ice fishing from caves slightly above the waterline.

And, one day, when the world began to grow warmer, dwarves now living on the ice cap found their homes melting. they may have magically enchanted their glaciers to stay cold. Or used fleets of ships to tow them further north, where they would be safe from the thaw. And now, having no iceborn route to their warmer-dwelling brethren, they truly embraced sailing.

Anyway, here's the original post I made.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on this concept? Either fluff or mechanics? I'm still very much up in the air on everything.

Edit: It has come to my attention that "glaciers" specifically refers to masses of ice on land, and that masses of ice on water are instead called "icebergs." Sorry about that.

This reminds me of the "Powries" from R A Salvatore's DemonWars Series. Evil, sea faring dwarves that had basically iron sided triremes.

Maat Mons
2019-01-06, 08:31 PM
Would it be too ambitious to expand this to include other races that compliment the dwarves?

New Races

Dwarves, Kaldirmann

Kaldirmann dwarves are a rugged people, dwelling in tunnel networks carved into the ice of glaciers. It's a cold, harsh world, but they are resilient and determined.

The cold arctic waters provide the food needed to sustain their people. And travel by ship is the only way to engage in trade with ouside civilizations, or even to visit neighboring settlements of kaldirmann dwarves. So seafaring is a necessary and respected occupation.

+2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence. Kaldirmann dwarves are stout and tough, but their harsh homeland doesn't permit much time for intellectual pursuits.

Medium-sized: As medium-sized creature, kaldirmann dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Speed: Kaldirmann dwarf base speed is 20. However, kaldirmann dwarves can move at this speed even if they are wearing medium or heavy armor, or if they are carrying a medium or heavy load.

Cold Tolerant: Kaldirmann dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against cold damage and cold effects. Kaldirmann dwarves can also exist comfortably in conditions between -20 and 90 degrees F without having to make a fortitude save. This counts as the Cold Endurance feat for the purposes of fulfilling prerequisites.

Darkvision: Kaldirmann dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 ft. Darkvision is only black and white, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and kaldirmann dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.

Ice Stride: A kaldirmann dwarf can walk across ice with no fear of slipping. A kaldirmann dwarf does not pay double movement costs for entering squares of icy terrain. A kaldirmann dwarf doesn't need to make Balance checks merely because terrain is icy. If a kaldirmann dwarf does have to make a Balance check (such as for a narrow surface) the kaldirmann dwarf ignores any difficulty modifiers stemming from the surface being icy.

Icecraft: A kaldirmann dwarf gains a +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Craft checks that are related to snow, ice or special frostfell materials.

Icecunning: Icecunning grants kaldirmann dwarves a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual icework, such as sliding walls, icework traps, new construction, unsafe ice or snow surfaces, shaky ice or snow ceilings, or hazards in ice and snow or the like. Something that is not ice or snow but that is disguised as ice or snow also counts as unusual icework. A kaldirmann dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual icework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching and a kaldirmann dwarf can use the Search skill to find icework traps as a rogue can.

Stability: Kaldirmann dwarves are exceptionally stable on their feet. A kaldirmann dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing firmly on the ground.

Weapon Familiarity: Kaldirmann dwarves may treat ice axes, harpoons, and dwarven waraxes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.

Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Any. The merchant ships of kaldirmann dwarves have been know to visit strange harbors.

Favored Class: Barbarian.

Elves, Cuatlaca

Guardians of the old ways, cuatlaca elves live in primordial rainforests, in harmony with the land. They have deliberately shunned many of the advancements of civilization, and so appear very primitive to outsider. But cuatlaca elves are by no means naive or unintelligent.

Cuatlaca elves know their jungle well. They are adept at avoiding all the dangers it has to offer. They know which animals produce poisons that can be used to tip their arrows. And they do not burden themselves with heavy clothing that would cause them to swelter in the heat. Instead, they have learned to face down invaders and dangerous animals with nothing but their skills for protection.

+2 Charisma, -2 Strength. Cuatlaca elves posses a natural elegance that their primitive circumstance cannot completely mask, but they are thin of build.

Size: Medium. As Medium creatures, cuatlaca elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Speed: Cuatlaca elf base speed is 30 feet.

Low-Light Vision: A cuatlaca elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Oral Tradition: Cuatlaca elves gain a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (history), Knowledge (nature), and Survival checks.

Jungleborn Reistance: Cuatlaca elves gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against disease and poison.

Poison Use: A cuatlaca elf never risks accidentally poisoning himself when applying poison to a weapon.

Unarmoered AC Bonus: A cuatlaca elf gains the AC bonus of a monk of his character level. Cuatlaca elves dwell in regions far too hot and humid to consider burdening themselves with bulky armor.

Weapon Familiarity: Cuatlaca elves are automaticall proficient with the throwing axe, blowgun, handaxe, and shortbow.

Illiteracy: Cuatlaca elves do not automatically know how to read and write. A cuatlaca elf must spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak. He does not automatically gain this skill when taking a nonbarbarian character class, with the exception of the wizard class.

Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Dwarven and Sylvan. Cuatlaca elves have extensive dealings with the spirits of the forest. They have little contact with other humanoid races outside of dwarven trading ships.

Favored Class: Ranger

Kobolds, Marruyu

In the scorching desert, a resourceful people have built a thriving civilization around what little water is available. Marruyu kobolds primarily live on the banks of the lone river that winds through their land, but some also live in sheltered oases.

Marruyu kobold cities are build from sandstone, often in impressively-sized blocks that it takes large teams to move. They build lavish temples to Sebek, their crocodile-headed god. And they lay their meticulously-prepared dead to rest in well-defended crypts.

In this strange land, the veil that separates life from death is thinner than it is elsewhere. Undead are more plentiful here, and the people have become inured to the necromantic energies that permeate the region.

+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -4 Strength. Marruyu kobolds are swift and clever, but they cannot muster much brute force.

Size: Small.

Speed: Marruyu kobold base speed is 30 feet. As a Small creature, a marruyu kobold gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.

Book of Death: Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against necromancy spells cast by marruyu kobolds.

Book of Life: Marruyu kobalds receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against necromancy effects.

Drought Tolerant: A marruyu kobolds can go without water for two days (48 hours), plus a number of hours equal to his Constitution score, before beginning to experience the ill effects of thirst.

Heat Tolerant: Marruyu kobolds gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against fire damage and fire effects. Marruyu kobolds can also exist comfortably in conditions between 40 and 140 degrees F without having to make a fortitude save. This counts as the Heat Endurance feat for the purposes of fulfilling prerequisites.

Sandskimmer: Marruyu kobolds gain Sandskimmer as a bonus feat.

Scaly Hide: Marruyu kobolds have a +1 natural armor bonus.

Sword of Victory: Marruyu kobolds treat khopeshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons. Additionally, a marruyu kobold can use Weapon Finesse with a properly sized khopesh, even though it is not a light weapon.

Weapon Finesse: Marruyu kobolds gain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat, even if they do not meet the prerequisite.

Automatic Languages: Common and Draconic. Bonus Languages: Dwarven and Ignan. Marruyu kobolds find it prudent to be able to converse with the fire creatures that tend to show up in the wastes, and with the men on the trading vessels that frequent their ports.

Favored Class: Rogue.

Orcs, Sivilli

A sound mind in a sound body. This is the motto of sivilli orcs. Some would be content to meet challenges with only brute force. Some never venture outside of dusty libraries. But civili orcs know that well-rounded individuals are the pinnacle of achievement.

Sivilli orcs are highly competitive. They routinely hold games in which every city sens its finest athletes to engage in sporting competition,and much prestige is afforded to the winners. But their competitive spirit is not limited to the physical realm. Universities in each city constantly jockey to be recognized as superior institutions.

+2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma. Sivilli orcs pride themselves on building up both their bodies and their minds, but they can sometimes be slightly clumsy, and they tend to alienate outsiders with their elitist attitude.

Speed: Sivilli orc base speed is 40 feet.

Artistic: Sivilli orcs gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft (painting) and Craft (sculpture) checks.

Darkvision: Sivilli orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and sivilli orcs can function just fine with no light at all.

Driven: Sivilli orcs gain a +1 racial bonus on opposed checks.

Imposing Presence: Sivilli orcs gain a +4 racial bonus on Intimidate checks.

Intellectual Education: Sivilli orcs gain a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (architecture and engineering), and knowledge (Religion) checks.

Physical Education: A sivilli orc gains Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple as bonus feats, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Any. Sivilli orcs seek to accumulate a wide breadth of knowledge.

Favored Class: Cleric.

New Feats

Clever Defense
Prerequisite: Ability to add wisdom bonus to AC
Benefit: You use Intelligence instead of Wisdom to determine your AC bonus.
Special: You cannot select this feat if you already have Dynamic Defense.

Dynamic Defense
Prerequisite: Ability to add wisdom bonus to AC
Benefit: You use Charisma instead of Wisdom to determine your AC bonus.
Special: You cannot select this feat if you already have Clever Defense.

sandmote
2019-01-14, 07:41 PM
My (again, not very mechanically sound) notes:

For the Kaldirmann dwarves, I'd have a passing mention of what they're doing all winter if they don't have time for intellectual pursuits. I'm guessing what happens is that between darkvision, cold tolerance, and ice stride they aren't actually stuck indoors for most of winter, but the written text does look a bit odd.

I'd maybe give one or two more potential bonus languages for the Cuatlaca Elves (I'm suggesting Aquan and Terran) and Marruyu Kobolds (I'm suggesting Terran and the language of their typical nearest overland neighbor). Of the SRD races, the ones with the fewest Bonus Languages have five options.

Beside those nitpicks, these are really cool. I'm surprised I haven't noticed jungle elves before, and the others are all also very reasonable expansions of their base races.

Maat Mons
2019-01-15, 10:03 PM
Thanks for responding again, sandmote! If it wasn't for you, I'd mostly be talking to myself.

For the Kaldirmann dwarves, I'd have a passing mention of what they're doing all winter if they don't have time for intellectual pursuits. I'm guessing what happens is that between darkvision, cold tolerance, and ice stride they aren't actually stuck indoors for most of winter, but the written text does look a bit odd.

Well, I kind of imagined them dwelling in lands where it's "always winter." Not from a technical perspective. I mean just that it's always cold and icy. You are right that they don't let a little darkness and bone-chilling cold keep them from going outside. They're fishing, trading, and mining exotic forms of ice through the worst of it.

To tell you the truth though, I'm not really happy with my characterization of their int penalty. Do you think it would work to instead describe them as having "a bit of a wild streak?" I gave them the penalty because the "wild" races tend to have it. And because I'm theming them on vikings, who I picture as a little "wild," at least when raging.

I'd maybe give one or two more potential bonus languages for the Cuatlaca Elves (I'm suggesting Aquan and Terran) and Marruyu Kobolds (I'm suggesting Terran and the language of their typical nearest overland neighbor). Of the SRD races, the ones with the fewest Bonus Languages have five options.

Bonus languages are, by far, the hardest part of homebrew races. (Or is it just me that struggles with them?)

Well, I'm imagining the Roman orcs as sort of the "center" of the campaign setting. With the Egyptian kobalds to their south, the Norse dwarves to their north, and the Mesoamerican elves to their west. Of course, the elves are across a pretty wide ocean from everybody else. (The dwarves also have water between them and the orcs, but a much more manageable amount.)

I've given some thought to an Asian civilization too, but I'd set up the landmasses such that the Egyptians had to go through the Romans to get to them. And the Mesoamericans would have no contact with them. So it wouldn'd really change things from their perspectives.

Beside those nitpicks, these are really cool. I'm surprised I haven't noticed jungle elves before, and the others are all also very reasonable expansions of their base races.

Thanks!

sandmote
2019-01-16, 02:46 PM
Thanks for responding again, sandmote! If it wasn't for you, I'd mostly be talking to myself.
I'm glad to hear my input is appreciated, although I'm still not sure how much use I can be.

Well, I kind of imagined them dwelling in lands where it's "always winter." Not from a technical perspective. I mean just that it's always cold and icy. You are right that they don't let a little darkness and bone-chilling cold keep them from going outside. They're fishing, trading, and mining exotic forms of ice through the worst of it.

To tell you the truth though, I'm not really happy with my characterization of their int penalty. Do you think it would work to instead describe them as having "a bit of a wild streak?" I gave them the penalty because the "wild" races tend to have it. And because I'm theming them on vikings, who I picture as a little "wild," at least when raging.
I'd maybe say their industrious nature leaves little time for intellectual pursuits? I'm not really sure.

I don't think there is a solid reason for any stat penalty for these dwarves, so they are kind of stuck with whichever one you go with. saying they have "a bit of a wild streak," should work fine.

Bonus languages are, by far, the hardest part of homebrew races. (Or is it just me that struggles with them?)
I personally like to have some form of a map anyway, at which point I'd just use the languages the neighbors speak.

Well, I'm imagining the Roman orcs as sort of the "center" of the campaign setting. With the Egyptian kobalds to their south, the Norse dwarves to their north, and the Mesoamerican elves to their west. Of course, the elves are across a pretty wide ocean from everybody else. (The dwarves also have water between them and the orcs, but a much more manageable amount.)
To me the description of the orcs screams Greek. Particularly given the emphasis on competing cities, universities, and their knockoff of the Olympics.

Either way, you could certainly add orc to the kobold's bonus languages. Perhaps also set up some goblinoids based on cultures from the middle east (I'm listing goblinoids for multiple groups that could have been rolled into a single empire for a while).

I've given some thought to an Asian civilization too, but I'd set up the landmasses such that the Egyptians had to go through the Romans to get to them. And the Mesoamericans would have no contact with them. So it wouldn'd really change things from their perspectives.
The only thing I can think of would be to add a culture with heavy ties to the elemental planes. Make its bonus languages Elven, Terran, Aquan, Ingan, and Auran. Then add that culture's language(s) to the elves. Or expand that landmass to a total of three cultures, with each having the other two's languages as bonus languages.