PDA

View Full Version : BOTW in DND

Teaguethebean
2018-12-31, 06:06 PM
My Friend is looking to run his first homemade game and he is trying to make legend of zelda BOTW as a dnd setting it seems fun but as the primary DM of our group I am trying to help him out for classes and races we are working with are.
Barbarian: No battle rager, Storm herald, or zealot
Bard: All
Cleric: no Grave or Death
No Druid
Fighter: All
Monk: All (Four elements maybe)
Paladin: All
Ranger: No horizon
Rogue: All
Sorcerer: Dragon(Only white, blue, and red), and wild only
No warlock
Wizard: No blade singer
UA isn't really being touched

Hylian: Human
Gerudo: Half-Orc
Rito: Aarocokra
Zora: Triton
Goron: Goliath (Mabye some rolling based power)
Sheika: Mabye wood elf
Korok: Mabye halfling
Kokiri: Forest gnome

I'm looking for recommendations and potentially ideas. The DM has decided against allowing stuff like Bokoblin, Moblin, are Lizaal as player races as talking your way out of a situation shouldn't be something you can do easily.

ImproperJustice
2018-12-31, 07:00 PM
Fun!

If you do a forum search, someone else was working on the same concept a while back.

Although I think they were more focused on the Weapon degredation thing. (Consensus was don’t do it).

Looks like you are off to a decent start.

My advice would be to start small. Focus on where you want to start, work up the PCs and nearby locations, then fill up n more details as you go.

Mercurias
2018-12-31, 07:10 PM
Why no Druid? I'm not trying to bust your chops or anything, because I don't know your players or even the full details of your game. I'm just curious and interested in your friend's campaign idea. :smallsmile:

Unoriginal
2018-12-31, 07:13 PM
What exactly about Breath of the Wild do you want to adapt into D&D?

"Large land to travel through with few settlements"? "Free dungeons from the bad guys' corruption"?

strangebloke
2018-12-31, 08:17 PM
Sounds fun!

Is this pre-calamity Hyrule or post?

If post, I can't see some classes existing very easily. Conquest Paladin? What's he conquering? The Wilds?

Also, if I can play as a Korok or Kokiri, why no druids? Are you telling me that Hetsu is a wizard?

I am in favor of just reskinning races to save time and avoid balance issues. However, I have some suggestions:

Goron: Tortle. They're tough, long-lived (and therefore wise), and they have high HP as a result. Change the swim speed to fire resistance and you're basically golden.
Korok: Goblin. They're quick and sneaky and they can definitely (unlike haflings) see in the dark. You could trade fury of the small for something else, though.
Sheika: Variety of Elves. The science-focused ones are high elves. The sneaky-stabby ones are wood elves.

TBH I would allow hylians as a half-elf, elf, or human. Hylians have traits of all of those. They're the most common species in hyrule (humans) they're the most diplomatic (half-elf) and they have good ability with magic relative to other races (Elf)

But just human works as well.

What exactly about Breath of the Wild do you want to adapt into D&D?

"Large land to travel through with few settlements"? "Free dungeons from the bad guys' corruption"?

Well, presumably they're importing the locations, characters, and history from the setting.

BoTW is basically a solo DND sandbox anyway. Dungeons, random encounters, every village has a hook or two... Its all there. So there's not much game structure to really change, beyond adapting familiar races and monsters to the DND ruleset.

I suppose you could add a crafting/forage system. That could be fun. Weapon durability isn't a good idea though.

Teaguethebean
2018-12-31, 08:35 PM
Why no Druid? I'm not trying to bust your chops or anything, because I don't know your players or even the full details of your game. I'm just curious and interested in your friend's campaign idea. :smallsmile:

It isn't that he doesn't want to deal with druids it's that harnessing the natural worlds primal forces isn't a thing anybody can do in the legend of zelda

Foxhound438
2018-12-31, 08:38 PM
as long as my weapons shatter into a million pieces at least three times every fight I think you'd have the right vibe

Unoriginal
2018-12-31, 08:47 PM
It isn't that he doesn't want to deal with druids it's that harnessing the natural worlds primal forces isn't a thing anybody can do in the legend of zelda

What do the Deku Trees, Kokiri, Koroks, and Deku Scrubs do, then?

Well, presumably they're importing the locations, characters, and history from the setting.

BoTW is basically a solo DND sandbox anyway. Dungeons, random encounters, every village has a hook or two... Its all there. So there's not much game structure to really change, beyond adapting familiar races and monsters to the DND ruleset.

I suppose you could add a crafting/forage system. That could be fun. Weapon durability isn't a good idea though.

Well, maybe, but the atmosphere is pretty different than your typical D&D setting due to how equipment and exploration works.

I suppose using the Gritty Realism rules for resting, but having a "you can cook magic food which gives healing/the benefit of short rests/other perks" system could help replicate the feel of BOTW.

Dualswinger
2018-12-31, 09:28 PM
I'd go for the Shadar-Kai for the Sheikah. Their once per day teleport could work as a ninja esque "Poof" effect.

Also, maybe refluff Tortle for the Goron? While Gorons are strong I think it's their durability that's their defining trait. Have the "retreat into shell" power become "curling up"

Skyblaze
2018-12-31, 10:33 PM
Did anyone else read this as Best of the Worst?

Mercurias
2018-12-31, 11:09 PM

I getcha. Thanks for sharing!

Teaguethebean
2019-01-01, 01:13 AM
What do the Deku Trees, Kokiri, Koroks, and Deku Scrubs do, then?

They dont shape shift thats for sure

strangebloke
2019-01-01, 01:20 AM
They dont shape shift thats for sure

Au contraire.

Yahaha! You thought this was a rock, but it was I, a Korok!

odigity
2019-01-01, 01:24 AM
Did anyone else read this as Best of the Worst?

That's what I came here to say.

(If anyone's confused... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ_TJFLc25JR3VZ7Xe-cmt4k3bMKBZ5Tm)

ImproperJustice
2019-01-01, 02:11 AM
I’m thinking you can definitely have that atmosphere of bleak but beautiful landscapes and the signs of past great struggles and civilization.

Maybe even make it a story of Gannon being defeated and the battle to reclaim what was lost, while “pockets of evil” and whatever was behind his power remain....?

Could be a lot of fun. I wish you luck :)

Millstone85
2019-01-04, 09:59 AM
I am surprised you wrote warlocks off entirely, considering how dealing with Great Fairies is a staple of the series.

Teaguethebean
2019-01-04, 12:56 PM
I am surprised you wrote warlocks off entirely, considering how dealing with Great Fairies is a staple of the series.
I think you prove a fair point perhaps I will propose archfey warlock