PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help Needed to Finalize the Final Adventuring Day of a Campaign

Requilac
2018-12-31, 06:08 PM
If you are currently playing in my Campaign Eldritch Dissonance, please do not read this thread.

Greetings playgrounders, I have come to ask for the help of those who are more experienced than I for help in designing the events of the final adventuring day of a campaign. This was my first campaign I ever started, and although I am currently running another campaign and have done about 5 or so 4-hour one shots, this is my first time ever creating an adventuring day this important and at such a high level. The campaign has gone on for 13 months now and through that the PCs have grown from level 5 to 15, where they currently are now. In 14 days I will begin the final adventuring day of this campaign. The problem is that I am massively inexperienced with high level play such as this, and my earlier work with adventure design for the past few levels has been a little rough and filled with mistakes. I don't want to end the campaign with making the same mistakes I have been doing for far too long.

Of course to get the help I need I will need to lay out some context, but as is expected from a 13 month long campaign, the storyline is very complex, so I will try to be as simple as possible. The story started when a force of creatures from the Elemental Plane of Water, under the control of an Aboleth's ghost, invaded the Material Plane. The PCs hatched a plan to ruin their organization, morale and the telepathic link that connects them all together (let's just leave it at that for simplicity's sake) by forcing the Aboleth's ghost, which is trapped in a specific location on the Material Plane, to manifest in physical form and then killing it. The players will be aided an army of rogue water elemental creatures, fire elemental creatures and dinosaur riding druids, though they exist more for establishing immersion and preventing disbelief than any sort of practical use (as a side note, the PCs are still dramatically more powerful than all of the troops present). The problem with this plan though is that the Aboleth's death site is within seeing view of the main outpost of the enemy water creatures, who will strike on them as the PCs allies are trying to summon the ghost. Many combat encounters will occur until the ghost is finally manifested at the end.

I was probably going to make sure that the goal seems plausible by having an army aid them, but I would bypass all the rules regarding mass combat by simply having the PCs fight a small portion of the enemy's army themself and treat it like normal combat. What I could do is simply run a 4-hour long slogfest where they simply face wave after wave of enemies on a static environment, but this seems like a much too boring and tedious ending for a campaign that has lasted for over a year. So playground, what should I do to make this ending a little more interesting then such a stodgy hack' n' slash'? I have compiled a list below of the different areas I need help in.

1) The enemy will not attack them immediately, so of course there will be scouting down on the player's side to recognize when the enemy is approaching. Is there a way that I can make the scouting missions for the PCs more entertaining than a few perception checks? Should I even include scouting missions at all, or simply let the enemies attack?

2) What enemies should I pit against a level 15 party for this epic finale? The enemy's ranks consist mostly of Sahaugin, aquatic aberrations, and undead (why there are so many undead present isn't particularly important for you all). I have a tendency to skyrocket monster stats to raise their CR, use the statblock of something to represent a different creature, and add extra features to prexisitng monsters, so I am fine with editing monsters if they don't fit perfectly. The only enemy I know will be included is an Adult Green Shadow Dragon (this is necessary to include for a reason not especially relevant to you), but I still have so many other encounters to stock up with.

3) What monster could I possibly use to represent the Ghost of an Aboleth? I simply plan on giving ghost features to an Aboleth then skyrocketing their stats, but this doesn't seem like it would give enough character and personality to such an important monster.

4) The players have found it necessary for their allied army to assist them to maintain immersion in the story, but they do not want to end the game following masss combat rules. So far I have mostly just had the players individually fight a small fractions of the enemie's army when they fight, treating it as if they were fighting alone. But if this occurs then sometimes their own allies or other enemies may shift into the PCs slice of the battlefield and form an obstruction. But how would I properly represent enemies and allies whom the players are not engaged in moving across the field, because they will not stay in one place. I could randomly move new obstructions in and out every turn, but that would take much too long to do and break the rhythm of the game.

5) The environment in which the players will be fighting is a rocky coastline, much like that seen in Maine of the USA (https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/yaLPFlT7WN8AKCy8WJ4Y-L7PKL0=/1072x500/https://public-media.smithsonianjourneys.org/filer/95/80/95801541-5c09-4566-84ad-21d41f85a705/me_acadianpg_schoodicsection_tb.jpeg). I could randomly place rocks and tiny inlets over the place, but it wouldn't look very natural. How would I create an battlefield which feels like a real place and not something I cobbled together with odd paterns?

6) How many encounters should the players go through?. I would much rather prefer fewer fights with higher difficulty to make the whole thing feel much more rapid and exciting, so my preferred number is four combat encounters. On the other hand, I do recognize that it is expected to have more encounters in an adventuring day. Would four be acceptable, or should I aim for higher?

7) What could I do to bring more to the final adventure than mere combat? Don't get me wrong, I am playing with a group of mostly optomizers that enjoy combat above all else, but even four hours straight of initiative may frustrate them. Aside from some scouting, I don't know what else I could do to make things more exciting.

8) What effect should the exorcising of the Aboleth have on the environment? I have considered making it so that the waves might start crashing onto the battlefield and that rocks may be flung onto it at random, but some more dramatic effects befitting for an Aboleth I feel are in order.

If it matters to you, the party consists of...
- a champion/swashbuckler multiclass with a focus on archery
- a war mage that spends most of their time casting explosive evocation spells
- a bard whose main role is to cast spells which control the battlefield
- an Old One warlock/paladin multiclass who is both great with eldritch blast and shield + rapier melee
- an illusion wizard whose spells are themed around messing with their enemy's mind, especially debuffs. After being denied from playing as a Mystic, this player tried their best to create a wizard who was as close as possible to a Mystic.

And that should be all. I send my thanks in advance to anyone who helps me here.

Madfellow
2019-01-01, 09:42 AM
[Cracks knuckles] Alright, let's do this. :smallamused:

It sounds like you already have a decent combat-focused outline laid out for the session; 4 consecutive combat encounters, following roughly this progression:

1) A small skirmish with the enemy's scouts. What's interesting here is that the scouts' goal is not to engage the party in combat, but rather to escape from them and report back to their own army. This fight will likely take place at range and will involve chasing the scouts down to prevent them from making it back. Success or failure here will make the next encounter easier or harder, because the enemy's intelligence gathering has been affected.

2) A larger, more drawn-out battle against the enemy's vanguard. This is the fight that telegraphs to the players, "This is war."

3) A targeted strike against the enemy's lieutenant, the green dragon. The dragon is a highly mobile opponent that will be hard to pin down, and the battlefield will likely be peppered with weaker enemy troops to complicate things.

4) Showdown with the Big Bad himself. If you want to make this more involved than a simple fight, you could require one PC to make an Arcana or Religion check in order to bring the spirit into the Material Plane for the turn. The spirit will also likely have guards to protect it and will receive reinforcements every couple of turns, so the PCs have to stay on their toes.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Requilac
2019-01-02, 11:37 PM
1) A small skirmish with the enemy's scouts. What's interesting here is that the scouts' goal is not to engage the party in combat, but rather to escape from them and report back to their own army. This fight will likely take place at range and will involve chasing the scouts down to prevent them from making it back. Success or failure here will make the next encounter easier or harder, because the enemy's intelligence gathering has been affected.

2) A larger, more drawn-out battle against the enemy's vanguard. This is the fight that telegraphs to the players, "This is war."

3) A targeted strike against the enemy's lieutenant, the green dragon. The dragon is a highly mobile opponent that will be hard to pin down, and the battlefield will likely be peppered with weaker enemy troops to complicate things.

4) Showdown with the Big Bad himself. If you want to make this more involved than a simple fight, you could require one PC to make an Arcana or Religion check in order to bring the spirit into the Material Plane for the turn. The spirit will also likely have guards to protect it and will receive reinforcements every couple of turns, so the PCs have to stay on their toes.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thank you for bringing up this process, it is certainly a more dynamic way to set it up then I was first thinking. I shall certainly incorporate aspects from this into it, and probably copy the 1st encounter verbatim even. This is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for.

I'm fairly new to this myself but consider having some sort of "oh crap" moment when right before completing the ritual to summon the ghost, the enemy streams in from an unexpected place. For example, they are doing whatever they are doing in a fortified location/aboleth summoning station when they hear a hissing noise. Suddenly a geyser erupts from the ground, forming into a ton of water elementals. Surprise encounters like this could help keep the players on their toes and keep it from turning into a slog. Try to do something like the 3rd act twist in movies. Maybe the enemies are already inside the specific location. Maybe the green dragon is hidden, etc.

That definitely is something I could look into using. It should sufficiently wear the players out and possibly even put them in a disadvantaged position when the actual Aboleth fight begins. Poor positioning on their part could really challenge the players, which I need to make sure I do given how well optimized their characters are.

As for making scouting missions interesting, you could try some sort of thing where you can find out a little bit for an easy stealth check, then you have to make the decision to go on further (risking discovery more but learning more). Perhaps even running into enemy scouts and having to dispatch them quietly.

I think I might actually combine yours and madfellow's idea, making it so that the players have to try to ambush and assassinate a group of scouts, but the scouts are more interested in escaping then fighting. The amount of scouts which the PCs manage to kill here would determine the difficulty of the next fight. Perhaps the players may even get a benefit for capturing and interrogating a scout instead of outright killing it.

You could use a paragon (https://theangrygm.com/return-of-the-son-of-the-dd-boss-fight-now-in-5e/) aboleth. Or try having it blink in and out of existence each round to show that it's "ghostly"

Best of luck to you.

The paragon template is an interesting idea for sure, but I wasn't really planning on making the ghost Aboleth a "solo monster" anyway. Even with that template a single enemy with no allies runs into some problems. As for the blinking in and out of existence, that is certainly an interesting idea to go with, but I worry how it would act in play. Having the Aboleth become completely invincible for several turns makes it either easier for the players as they can target the other enemies without major hindrance by the Aboleth, or easier for the players as they can take a break to get into better positions. Maybe some teleportation or phasing is in order, but a sort of Blink spell effect could easily have the opposite effect that I want.

Thank you very much for your input though, I need all the help I can get.

Azgeroth
2019-01-03, 06:40 AM
personally, i would keep the mass combat at a distance from the player party, you mentioned that the enemy forces were stationed with in eye sight of the 'temple' the aboleth resides in.

so, have the player allies siege that location, locking the mass of forces out of the players path.. mostly ;)

a good reference for this is the final part of the second book in Hoard of the dragon queen, where all of the factions the players have gained launch an assault against the temple, binding up the majority of the enemy forces and allowing the players to slip in.

the adventure then boils down to a dungeon crawl on a timer, where the players have to reach the central temple and stop tiamat from being summoned, interestingly there is still room for things to change for the players, depending on the factions present, how they were deployed (players decide this) and how effective they are at their given targets.

is it absolutely critical the next session be the last??

if it were me at the table, i would want to try and neutralise the threat of that dragon before the conflict, namely so it doesnt simply obliterate the friendly forces sieging the enemy stronghold, that then would free up the friendly elementals to invade the temple seperately to the players, and run interference minor assinations to help assist the players progress through the temple.

without knowing the details of the campaign setup, is not true that the aboleth will be more powerful in its 'true' form as opposed to an ethereal one? it would be a hell of a twist if the players got into the temple to perform a ritual, only to find it was already done, and now they have to fight a material, fully powered aboleth, with its high priests, already alerted to the players.

(you could say te ritual the players at to perform binds the aboleth to the material in a way that also binds its powers elsewhere, if the enemy performs the ritual, it is still bound to the material, but retains all of its powers.)

personally, i would have the scouting done by npc's for the sake of brevity, then outline the basic strategic layout, and let the players decide on how the battle should go.

hope this helps!

Requilac
2019-01-04, 12:05 AM
personally, i would keep the mass combat at a distance from the player party, you mentioned that the enemy forces were stationed with in eye sight of the 'temple' the aboleth resides in.

so, have the player allies siege that location, locking the mass of forces out of the players path.. mostly ;)

I did not immediately think of that, having the mass combat take place at the enemy "watching" outpost instead of at the actual Aboleth's site. That might be something I end up incorporating, it depends on what I continue to think of.

is it absolutely critical the next session be the last??

if it were me at the table, i would want to try and neutralise the threat of that dragon before the conflict, namely so it doesnt simply obliterate the friendly forces sieging the enemy stronghold, that then would free up the friendly elementals to invade the temple seperately to the players, and run interference minor assinations to help assist the players progress through the temple.

It is not critical that the next session be the last one, and in fact, it probably wasn't even going to be as planned. The adventuring day could easily take two sessions to go through.

without knowing the details of the campaign setup, is not true that the aboleth will be more powerful in its 'true' form as opposed to an ethereal one? it would be a hell of a twist if the players got into the temple to perform a ritual, only to find it was already done, and now they have to fight a material, fully powered aboleth, with its high priests, already alerted to the players.

Well, its true form kind off got torn apart by an angry god (long story), so the cultists would kind of have to patch the Aboleth together a la Frankenstein to get that to work. Which is another interesting idea, but I am actually really fond of the imagery of a ghost Aboleth. I especially got some intriguing ideas from this thread on the RPGnet forums (https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/what-does-a-ghost-aboleth-look-like.622156/). I think I will be sticking with that for now.

personally, i would have the scouting done by npc's for the sake of brevity, then outline the basic strategic layout, and let the players decide on how the battle should go.

I thought that they may actually prefer that, given how much my players are of minmaxers who love combat. Its very outside of my comfort zone playing with such an optimized group, but I try to accommodate for their wants. I can't imagine them liking scouting much, but on the other hand, four consecutive waves of fighting may even wear them out.

hope this helps!

Indeed it does, thank you very much for your advice. I will consider it at the very least.