PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Runescape Yeti

Ranged Ranger
2019-01-01, 07:15 PM
Edit:modified the Roar and Empowered Roar abilities.

So I've been playing the mmorpg, RuneScape, for over 15 years now... (The game is celebrating its 18th birthday later this week...) Every year, they release new seasonal content for Christmas (as well as Easter and Halloween...) This year it was a permanent quest where we helped a yeti family prepare for their winter festival... I enjoyed it so much, that I decided to try to create stats for the runescape version of Yetis.

RS Yeti's are a bit more catlike than most depictions of yeti...

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, –2 Wisdom: Yeti are a large, hardy offshoot of Catfolk that live in harsh snowy environments.
Catfolk: Yeti are humanoids with the catfolk subtype.
Large size: -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
Speed: Yeti have a base speed of 40 feet. They also have a climb speed of 20 feet (along with the +8 racial bonus on Climb checks a climb speed affords).
Low-Light Vision: In dim light, Yeti can see twice as far as humans.
Snowsight: Yetis can see to the normal limits of their vision even in whiteout conditions and ignore all penalties due to snow glare and snow blindness.
Cat's Claws: Yeti have a pair of claws they can use as natural weapons. These claws are primary attacks that deal 1d6 points of damage.
Roar: A Yeti can loose a devastating roar every 1d4 rounds. The roar is a 20-foot cone that deals 2d4 sonic damage. A successful Reflex saving throw (DC 10 + Con modifier) reduces damage by half. Creatures and items under 500 (750 if the creature/item is on ice or other slippery surface) pounds are blown away. When a Yeti reaches 5 HD, their breath weapon damage increases to 4d4.
Winter Adaption: A yeti’s white fur gives a +12 racial bonus to Hide checks in snow and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against cold damage and cold effects. Yeti can also exist comfortably in conditions between –20° and 90° F (severe cold to hot) without having to make Fortitude saves. This ability counts as if a yeti had the Cold Endurance feat for purposes of fulfilling prerequisites for other feats or prestige classes.
Languages: Yeti begin play speaking Common and Catfolk. Yeti with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Elven, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Orc, and Sylvan.

Paragon Class
Table: The Yeti Paragon
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st +1 +0 +2 +0 Empowered Roar
2nd +2 +0 +3 +0 Cold Immunity
3rd +3 +1 +3 +1 Ability boost (Str +2)
Hit die: d8
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.
Empowered Roar: The yeti's breath weapon now deals d6's of damage instead of d4's, and the yeti can choose whether to deal sonic or cold damage each time it uses its roar. Additionally, any creature that takes 15 or more points of damage from its roar is stunned for 1d4 rounds.

JNAProductions
2019-01-01, 08:02 PM
What's the LA on them?

Ranged Ranger
2019-01-02, 07:47 PM
What's the LA on them?

Unfortunately, I've not yet mastered judging LA... I'd like to say 0, but have a feeling it may be 1...
Snowsight and Winter Adaptation are both situational, and can be very handy in the frostfell, but useless most of the time in other environments...
Roar is a breath weapon, but not a particularly powerful one...

JNAProductions
2019-01-02, 07:49 PM
Um... It's four times as powerful as 1st level DFA's Breath Weapon, of a better damage type.

Ranged Ranger
2019-01-02, 08:10 PM
Um... It's four times as powerful as 1st level DFA's Breath Weapon, of a better damage type.

It is!?! Shoot! That's what I get for trying to home brew when the only book I have w/ me is Frostburn...

JNAProductions
2019-01-02, 08:10 PM
It is!?! Shoot! That's what I get for trying to home brew when the only book I have w/ me is Frostburn...

The only difference is that a DFA gets it every round, whereas yours has a 1-4 round delay.

But it's still far too good for no LA.

Ranged Ranger
2019-01-02, 09:29 PM
Ok... After examining some other some other breath weapons, I've made some adjustments... I also decided that the ability to push things around with their voice was more important to the feel of the Yeti in Runescape than my initial version provided, so I upped the weight that that the blow back affected...

JNAProductions
2019-01-02, 09:34 PM
Blown away needs more mechanical weight. It could be an inch, it could be a mile. Does it ever deal damage, if they, say, hit a wall? Can it be resisted? Or is it purely weight based?

Ranged Ranger
2019-01-03, 12:56 AM
Blown away needs more mechanical weight. It could be an inch, it could be a mile. Does it ever deal damage, if they, say, hit a wall? Can it be resisted? Or is it purely weight based?

From the SRD Condition Summary Index (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm):

Blown Away
Depending on its size, a creature can be blown away by winds of high velocity. A creature on the ground that is blown away is knocked down and rolls 1d4 × 10 feet, taking 1d4 points of nonlethal damage per 10 feet. A flying creature that is blown away is blown back 2d6 × 10 feet and takes 2d6 points of nonlethal damage due to battering and buffering.

I was going with just weight, and otherwise just treating it the same as being blown away by wind...