PDA

View Full Version : Ways to gain trapfinding?

Saph
2007-09-23, 11:44 AM
Due to an unfortunate incident with a clan of giants, our party's found itself without a rogue. (Apparently a potion of gaseous form doesn't do much to protect you against angry giants with magic weapons.) This means that there's no-one in our party with the trapfinding skill, and no-one particularly wants to play one. This means the only member of the party with a half-decent Search skill is the wizard - me.

I can get up to a +11 to Search easily enough, which means I can find DC 20 traps just by taking 10. However, this won't let me find traps with a Search DC of 20 or higher. What I really need is a way to gain the trapfinding ability, preferably with a Search boost as well. What would be the most cost-efficient way to do it?

My character's an enchanter 7/loremaster 4. My resources are a Use Magic Device skill of +22 or so, the Scribe Scroll, Craft Wand, and Craft Wondrous Item feats, any spell or item from the PHB, PHB II, Spell Compendium, and Magic Item Compendium (possibly other books too), and a moderate supply of money.

At the moment all I can think of is crafting a wand of find traps, but that might become expensive fast - 50 charges don't go that far if you have to search every door and piece of furniture in the dungeon, and it's 4,500 gold. Any ideas?

- Saph

PlatinumJester
2007-09-23, 12:18 PM
Get a fighter type to take a level of scout.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-09-23, 12:35 PM
Level Dipping into scout, rogue, or ninja for anyone interested in becoming the new trapfinder.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-23, 12:38 PM
Then you need some rats to disable/set off the traps.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-23, 01:02 PM
The big list of stuff (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=662842) is your friend:

Trapfinding
Barbarian 3, class variant, Dungeonscape, replaces Trap Sense, see text
Rogue 1
Ranger 1, class variant, Dungeonscape, replaces Track
Beguiler 1, Player's Handbook 2
Ninja 1, Complete Adventurer
Scout 1, Complete Adventurer
Spellthief 1, Complete Adventurer
Nightsong Infiltrator 1, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer
Geometer 3, ecl 9, Complete Arcane, Traps based on writing only
Temple Raider of Olidammara 1, ecl 6, Complete Divine
Stoneblessed(Dwarf) 3, ecl 5, Races of Stone, stone traps only
Stonedeath Assassin 1, ecl 6, Races of Stone
Artificer 1, Eberron Campaign Setting, disable traps
Silverkey 1, ecl 4, Eberron: Dragonmarked, called "wardsense", works at range, see text
Factotum 1, Dungeonscape
Disciple of Dispater 2, ecl 8, Book of Vile Darkness, metal only
Kobold domain, Races of the Dragon, web enhancement
Theft Gloves, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Hoardstealer 1, ecl 6, Draconomicon

special mention
Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment), feat, Planar Handbook, gain the ability of a chosen doman (pick Kobold, see above)
Trap Sensitivity, feat, Dungeonscape, do not have to search for traps actively, see text
If any party memebers can make use of any of these without ruining their characters you should encourage it.

The Wand is probably a good choice, since it doesn't need any multiclassing/feat wasting. Expensive, but workable.

I also like the idea of taking a Spellthief level and the Master Spellthief feat, but that could hurt your build fairly easily.

Saph
2007-09-23, 01:13 PM
Get a fighter type to take a level of scout.

Not going to happen, for various reasons. Hence why I was asking for ways for me to gain trapfinding.

The list of stuff is nice, but nearly all of them are class features. What would be ideal is a magic item or spell. So far I can't find anything except for find traps.

- Saph

Threeshades
2007-09-23, 01:13 PM
Our DM let the other characters gain the trapfinding ability by watching us ("us" is me and the other rogue). I think that's not quite fair, because it takes a lot of balancing away and is against any rule anyway (especially considering, that one of those "illegal" trapfinders is 2 levels ahead of the party anyway), i think he should at least have made it a feat for them. My rogue also didnt learn spellcasting from watching the wizard... I think i need to talk to my DM :smallannoyed:

PlatinumJester
2007-09-23, 01:18 PM
Or run through everything really fast and hope for he best.

crimson77
2007-09-23, 01:26 PM
At the moment all I can think of is crafting a wand of find traps, but that might become expensive fast - 50 charges don't go that far if you have to search every door and piece of furniture in the dungeon, and it's 4,500 gold. Any ideas?

I would see if your DM would let you create a ring of Trap Finding. I would go off of the Ring of Invisibility's cost because they are the same spell level. I would change it from:

Ring of Invisibility
By activating this simple silver ring, the wearer can benefit from invisibility, as the spell.

Faint illusion; CL 3rd; Forge Ring, invisibility; Price 20,000 gp
To:
Ring of Trap Finding
By activating this simple black iron ring, the wearer can benefit from Find Traps, as the spell.

Faint Divination; CL 3rd; Forge Ring, find traps; Price 20,000 gp

Ask your DM, see what he/she thinks.

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-23, 01:29 PM
The list of stuff is nice, but nearly all of them are class features. What would be ideal is a magic item or spell. So far I can't find anything except for find traps.

- Saph

Theft Gloves, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum

Someone fail their search check? :smallbiggrin:

Saph
2007-09-23, 01:32 PM
Someone fail their search check? :smallbiggrin:

Smart alec. :P I don't have MoI, so I don't know if Theft Gloves are an item, a class feature (soulmeld), or a combination of both. No-one in the group has the book, anyway, so it's probably a moot point.

- Saph

Balkash
2007-09-23, 01:48 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0138.html
last three panels?