PDA

View Full Version : Why did Durkon come back to life with clothes on?

Paula
2019-01-02, 03:02 AM
When Roy was resurrected, he came back nude. So why does Durkon get clothes?

Yuki Akuma
2019-01-02, 03:06 AM
Roy's corpse was naked when he was resurrected, while Durkon's was wearing clothes.

MReav
2019-01-02, 03:30 AM
Unlike with Roy, they are in the Northern Lands allowing the gods of the clerics in question greater leeway, and Loki feels squeamish about naked rival cleric dwarf butt.

Mike Havran
2019-01-02, 03:42 AM
It's a part of the overall art upgrade that happened happened between this story arc and the last one.

Gift Jeraff
2019-01-02, 04:38 AM
To not retread the same gag. I guess you could pretend it has something to do with the fact that getting turned into ashes via vampire slaying is more like a magical transformation (as opposed to being literally cremated) and certain magical things like that are reversed by the spell.

martianmister
2019-01-02, 06:31 AM
Hilgya is just that good compared to Durkon.

D.One
2019-01-02, 07:58 AM
Since Durkon's ashes were mixed with his robes' ashes (the robes turned to ashes when the vampire died for no reason), the robes are now part of his very being, and he will never be able to take them off again...

Windscion
2019-01-02, 08:51 AM
To prevent the scene where he proposes to Hilgya from getting weirder.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-01-02, 09:15 AM
Because it was only funny the first time.

Grey Wolf
. .

hroşila
2019-01-02, 09:22 AM
It could easily have been played straight and not as a joke, though. The Giant would simply have needed someone to have prepared a robe for Durkon beforehand, and he'd have it on after one panel. Still though, I guess The Giant simply didn't care and he figured it wasn't something where consistency was important, or he thought the situation was different enough that it could be handwaved.

Linneris
2019-01-02, 09:22 AM
To prevent the screen where he proposes to Hilgya from getting weirder.

This. And to make the entire scene less awkward.

If you need an in-universe explanation, assume that a Resurrection spell cast on vampire dust also restores all equipment that crumbled to dust alongside the vampire's body. Why? Because magic, that's why. Perhaps it undoes the magical effect that caused the equipment to crumble in the first place.

Fyraltari
2019-01-02, 09:39 AM
It could easily have been played straight and not as a joke, though. The Giant would simply have needed someone to have prepared a robe for Durkon beforehand, and he'd have it on after one panel. Still though, I guess The Giant simply didn't care and he figured it wasn't something where consistency was important, or he thought the situation was different enough that it could be handwaved.

The scene is narrowly focused on Hilgya and Durkon though, which, I think, represents Durkon himself only focusing on Hilgya at the moment (which makes sense) and sets up the punchline of the Order's reaction(s) better. Having Roy or whoever hand Durkon a robe in the second panel would only distract from that and break the flow of the comic.

Ultimately continuity gives way to drama in this particular case because it serves the story better, nitpicking be damned.

hroşila
2019-01-02, 09:44 AM
The scene is narrowly focused on Hilgya and Durkon though, which, I think, represents Durkon himself only focusing on Hilgya at the moment (which makes sense) and sets up the punchline of the Order's reaction(s) better. Having Roy or whoever hand Durkon a robe in the second panel would only distract from that and break the flow of the comic.

Ultimately continuity gives way to drama in this particular case because it serves the story better, nitpicking be damned.
I disagree, I don't think it would have interferred at all with the drama or with the flow of the comic. You just need to have a robe on the floor or someone leaning into the panel to put it there in one panel, and Durkon putting it on in the next panel while he delivers his lines. No changes to the dialogue or the flow would be necessary.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-01-02, 11:20 AM
Roy's corpse was naked when he was resurrected, while Durkon's was wearing clothes.

Switch 'resurrected' with 'destroyed' and I think that's it.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-02, 06:04 PM
To prevent the scene where he proposes to Hilgya from getting weirder. That's as good an explanation as I've seen.

Ultimately continuity gives way to drama in this particular case because it serves the story better, nitpicking be damned. Amen to the bolded part. :smallcool:

MartianInvader
2019-01-02, 10:23 PM
Switch 'resurrected' with 'destroyed' and I think that's it.
I must be remembering Roy's encounter with Xykon much differently than you. I'm pretty sure Xykon only got to second base.

JonahFalcon
2019-01-03, 12:20 AM
Roy was turned into a flesh golem, remember?

Keltest
2019-01-03, 10:04 AM
Roy was turned into a flesh golem, remember?

I must have skipped that part of the comic. I remember his skeleton becoming a bone golem, but his flesh just sort of fell off, as far as I know. Almost like it was rotting.

D.One
2019-01-03, 10:24 AM
Almost like it was rotting.

Who could have guessed such a thing?.. :smalltongue: