PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Fey Creatures?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-01-02, 12:43 PM
A PC in a game I DM ended up playing a character who is a Warlock with a Fey Patron. He's a curmudgeon of sorts who is a bit of an alcoholic and a smuggler whose elven wife left him. In a despondent moment he was talking to a painting of Hrysam and poof, he had a Fey Patron.

In the last session he said something about Hrysam not even giving him a horse and I led him to a unicorn. It was quite comical, our Warlock was the only one in the party who can speak elvish so the unicorn had to communicate with him. It ended up being quite comical and even somewhat helpful.

What other comical fey NPC's can I have the party bump into next time things feel right?

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-02, 12:53 PM
A PC in a game I DM ended up playing a character who is a Warlock with a Fey Patron. He's a curmudgeon of sorts who is a bit of an alcoholic and a smuggler whose elven wife left him. In a despondent moment he was talking to a painting of Hrysam and poof, he had a Fey Patron.

In the last session he said something about Hrysam not even giving him a horse and I led him to a unicorn. It was quite comical, our Warlock was the only one in the party who can speak elvish so the unicorn had to communicate with him. It ended up being quite comical and even somewhat helpful.

What other comical fey NPC's can I have the party bump into next time things feel right?

I'd change the title to FEY creatures, not FED. It's...a bit misleading.

Check out Redcaps. They're mushroom creatures that breach from the Feywild through blood spilt via bloodlust. Basically, a murderhobo killed someone, and from the corpse's blood comes an ugly, axe-wielding gnome wearing a red hat, and ready to murder some hobos.

Lord8Ball
2019-01-02, 12:54 PM
When I saw the title I was thinking about some party member feeding an animal that grows attached to him and causes disruptions to get attention. I think if you want a fun fey creature a blink dog can be pretty comical if played right. Just make him dopey and lovable and hopefully, your party will like him/her.

strangebloke
2019-01-02, 01:04 PM
Fey are born as comedy gold. They're immortal, extremely talented children who have very strict, byzantine rules to their nature.

An incompetent fairy godmother who made too many deals with various warlocks and is trapped in a cycle of conflicting obligations, unable to do anything. She needs help, badly, but she can't make another pact for it, ok!
A helpful pixie who follows the party around, but his help always goes wrong in some way because he's easily distracted, intensely literal, and capricious.
A spiteful sprite who makes deals for relatively trivial things. "I'll tell you where Mayor Lothrigen lives but first you must eat seven whole peanut butter sandwiches while singing all the verses to Yankee Doodle. Such are the terms I offer. Refuse at Your Peril."
A blink dog that always disappears when anyone mentions that he exists.

Unoriginal
2019-01-02, 01:06 PM
A good way of making Fey creatures comical is to not make them annoying.

Annoying your players may seem comical for the DM, but it's rarely so for the players. I had a DM who loved annoying feys going lolrandom, but the result for me was mostly "yay, another annoying ****head that's going to suck the screentime until the whims as satisfied".

So yeah, don't make the feys more annoying than they need to. Weird isn't the same as annoying.

Personally, while not exactly a fey, I'd introduce an homonculus who's been left in charge of guarding a wizard's tower while the wizard went on holiday, and who has decided to entertain itself by organizing a sport competition with weird trials, with a prize like health potions or a bag of gold or the like.

Could also have Magmins and Mephits organize a story-telling contest.

Or have the Warlock PC be chosen as the lawyer at the Solstice Judicial Court of the Pixies.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-01-02, 01:07 PM

Check out Redcaps. They're mushroom creatures that breach from the Feywild through blood spilt via bloodlust. Basically, a murderhobo killed someone, and from the corpse's blood comes an ugly, axe-wielding gnome wearing a red hat, and ready to murder some hobos.

I actually used a PC to post so the typo figures.....I might need a few annoying FED employees for another campaign though....

Corpsecandle717
2019-01-02, 03:25 PM
We've got a Boggle following us around. Someone in our party decided to trade him a wand of pyrotechnics for something for some reason.

My character is now seriously considering Boggle genocide.

Bohandas
2019-01-11, 12:44 PM
The Wkurzajacy from the 2e fan supplement Ashenbach's Creature Codex. They're chaos sprites from limbo that only show up when it would be inconvenient for someone to show up

MilkmanDanimal
2019-01-11, 12:48 PM
Quicklings can be a holy terror; 120 feet of movement, attacks against them are at disadvantage, and can make three attacks. Their description calls out that they don't want to actually kill people, just cause chaos, and with +8s to Stealth and Sleight of Hand, they're really good at it.

Bohandas
2019-01-11, 02:32 PM
Does it have to be somethig that has official stats

Because if not I think it would be funny to have a drunk driving Totoro accidentally run them over with the catbus

Bohandas
2019-01-12, 02:54 PM
They wander into some weird outdoor version of The Jerry Springer Show with an assemblage of woodland creatures, sprites, and elves as the audience, and featuring Tam Lin and Janet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tam_Lin) and a paternity test.

Bohandas
2019-01-13, 12:49 AM

Though it would be kind of funny to have a bunch of pixies dressed as 1930's G-men ransack the PCs belongings on the suspicion that they're carrying illicit moonshine

Unoriginal
2019-01-13, 11:21 AM
Quicklings can be a holy terror; 120 feet of movement, attacks against them are at disadvantage, and can make three attacks. Their description calls out that they don't want to actually kill people, just cause chaos, and with +8s to Stealth and Sleight of Hand, they're really good at it.

You can have a fun encounter by having some charlatan pretending to be a swordmaster and challenge people in exchange of money, when in fact they just have two Quicklings hiding under their mantle.

Guran
2019-01-13, 01:09 PM
Quicklings exist to be annoying. They traumatized my friday night party.

Nidgit
2019-01-13, 01:35 PM
A pseudodragon or other fey sneaking in and stealing food/supplies/trinkets is a classic one. Maybe it sneaks into someone's pack and replaces all their rope with spiderweb, or all their rations with pretty rocks.

NRSASD
2019-01-13, 01:35 PM
I ran several quicklings collaborating inside a suit of armor, pretending to be the ghost of a Knight. It was a ton of fun!

Ninja_Prawn
2019-01-13, 04:36 PM
Want annoying fey? You should have the PCs from my party (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21331708&postcount=1) make a guest appearance...

More seriously, I made this (https://nailsofvecna.tumblr.com/post/179748561771/the-dustlings-are-a-tiny-nocturnal-people-with-a) a while back, which is like a moth-person-fairy. If your party is carrying a torch somewhere dark, you could start having swarms of these start trailing after the party, keeping just out of sight. "You feel like you're being followed." "Dozens of tiny eyes glitter in the darkness." "You can hear an intense flapping of tiny wings."

Also, did someone say annoying fed creatures (https://nailsofvecna.tumblr.com/post/166667184724/the-eladrin-in-black-are-the-shadowy-agents-of-the)?