PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Kitsune Player Race (Shapechanging Focus)

Vartiöda
2019-01-02, 02:18 PM
This is a race I’ve been working on based on the kitsune from the Creature Codex, and it has a focus on kitsunes' ability to shapechange between a fox and a humanoid. Thoughts and constructive criticism are appreciated, for while my DM and I both think it’s mostly balanced, that is the opinion of a mere two people.

Kitsune Player Race

A mischievous race of fey, kitsune are widely known as tricksters and are not above leading travellers in circles for their own enjoyment. While they are cunning tricksters, they are loyal friends and guardians to those they love.
They appear to be foxes with between two and nine tails, with another tail growing for every century they live. They have white, black, auburn or brown fur, though by the time they have grown their ninth tail they usually take on a golden or white coat.
Kitsune have the ability to shapechange into a specific humanoid to blend in with or beguile others, though they cannot remove their tails. Because of this, spotting the tails of a kitsune while they are careless or drunk is one of the best ways to identify them.
Kitsune carry with them a small orb, sometimes called a soul pearl, that is thought to contain their soul, without which they cannot live.

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma ability score increases by 2, and either your Wisdom or Dexterity ability score increases by 1.
Alignment. Kitsune are natural tricksters by nature and veer towards a chaotic neutral
alignment.
Age. Kitsune mature at about the same rate as humans, perhaps a bit longer, but live for over a millennium if they don’t die unnaturally or lose their pearl.
Size. Kitsune are naturally lithe and stand anywhere from under 4 feet to almost 6 feet. They are Small in their natural form.
Speed. You have a base walking speed of 30 ft. in your humanoid form and of 40 ft. in your natural form.
Darkvision. You have darkvision of 60 ft. Within this range, you can see in dim light as though it were bright light and in darkness as though it were dim light. You cannot perceive colour in darkness, only shades of grey.
Shapechanger. You can use your action to polymorph into a medium or small humanoid (establish the size, race, gender, age, and other details at character creation) or back into your true form. Your tails remain, however, and your humanoid form may have a fine coat of fur the same colour as your natural form. Your statistics, other than your size, are the same in each form. Any equipment you are wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. You reverts to your true form if you lose consciousness, die, or- optionally- are startled. When you aren’t consciously hiding your tails, a creature can easily see that you aren’t all that you seem to be; if they aren’t blatantly obvious, but still aren’t hidden, they can make an easy Wisdom (perception) check to see them and discover that you aren’t of the race you appear at first glance. You can make a Charisma (deception) check with disadvantage to conceal your tails.
Bite (Natural form only). Melee weapon attack:(Dexterity modifier + proficiency bonus) to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4 + Dexterity Modifier piercing damage.
Soul Pearl. You carry with you a small orb that contains you soul and magic. Without it, you cannot cast your kitsune magic. Additionally, for each day past 3 + your Constitution modifier (minimum 1) you suffer an automatic level of exhaustion at the end of each subsequent day. The count of days is reset if you come back in contact with your soul pearl.
Kitsune Magic. You know the dancing lights cantrip, which you can cast at will. Unless otherwise specified, the lights appear as spectral flames or wisps of fire of a colour of your choice. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the disguise self spell once between rests. You must finish a short or long rest in order to cast the spell again with this trait. When you reach 5th level, you can also cast the major image spell once per day; you must finish a long rest in order to cast the spell again with this trait. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Languages. You can speak, read and write Common and Sylvan.

igordragonian
2019-01-06, 05:03 AM
Hmmm.. about the shapeshifting, I think more rules about how it works are required.
Because, clearly if you are changing to a dwarf for example, you want people to think you are a dwarf.
So how does it work? Is this deception with disavantage?

Marcloure
2019-01-06, 05:10 AM
You should think of not so easy a way to make a new Soul Pearl. Otherwise, if you lost it or if someone takes it from you, you are dead for sure.

Vartiöda
2019-01-07, 10:56 PM
Hmmm.. about the shapeshifting, I think more rules about how it works are required.
Because, clearly if you are changing to a dwarf for example, you want people to think you are a dwarf.
So how does it work? Is this deception with disavantage?

You still have tails to hide, and with that in mind, I would say… If you aren’t consciously hiding them, it would be a very easy Wisdom (perception) check on their part. If you are hiding them, I would say… yeah; deception with disadvantage. And of course, if you chose for your humanoid form to have fur, it would be an automatic failure unless they were extremely drunk or something. I’ll edit the OP to keep that in mind.

Vartiöda
2019-01-07, 11:05 PM
You should think of not so easy a way to make a new Soul Pearl. Otherwise, if you lost it or if someone takes it from you, you are dead for sure.
Okay, two things:
1. Mythologically, kitsune have one pearl, and that’s it. Since I’m trying to stay near to its roots, that is something I’m considering.
2. If a PC steals it from you, it’s a great roleplaying opportunity for your character to express that the pearl is a part of themself. If an NPC steals it from you and you haven’t just been throwing it around, or you lose it, then your GM most likely has a purpose behind taking it from you and should have some way for you to get it back.
Note that kitsune wouldn’t let anyone untrustworthy near their pearls, and they certainly wouldn’t keep it in a place it might be lost. It’s a part of them; remember that.
You can rule that you can create a new soul pearl, but that is up to you.

igordragonian
2019-01-08, 12:45 AM
You still have tails to hide, and with that in mind, I would say… If you aren’t consciously hiding them, it would be a very easy Wisdom (perception) check on their part. If you are hiding them, I would say… yeah; deception with disadvantage. And of course, if you chose for your humanoid form to have fur, it would be an automatic failure unless they were extremely drunk or something. I’ll edit the OP to keep that in mind.

Well, you should describe this as part of the feature, though now I am confused.
He can choose his new form NOT to be without fur?

Also, does shapeshift include size and gender?

Vartiöda
2019-01-08, 01:29 AM
Well, you should describe this as part of the feature, though now I am confused.
He can choose his new form NOT to be without fur?

Also, does shapeshift include size and gender?

I’d ask for you to read through the first section of the trait again:
“...establish the size, race, gender, age, and other details at character creation... Your tails remain, however, and your humanoid form may have a fine coat of fur the same colour as your natural form. Your statistics, other than your size, are the same in each form."

igordragonian
2019-01-10, 08:42 PM
oh my bad.

about the bite-
Fox form, you mean 'true form"?

Vartiöda
2019-01-10, 11:23 PM
oh my bad.

about the bite-
Fox form, you mean 'true form"?

Oops… Yeah, you are right on that. Haha. I’ll fix that.

igordragonian
2019-01-11, 12:22 AM
Ok... Nitpicking lead to perfrction.
Hmmm.

Oh.
The stats bonus is rather unique, and I want to make sure you are aware:
You did basicly +1,+1 while the tradional bonus is +2,+1 (beside humans).
Does it balance the shapeshift ability? I am just wanting to make sure.

Galithar
2019-01-11, 12:44 AM
Hmmm.

Oh.

I noticed this as well and think it should be changed to give a +2 to Charisma instead of the +1.

Vartiöda
2019-01-11, 01:12 AM
Hmmm.

Oh.

I noticed this as well and think it should be changed to give a +2 to Charisma instead of the +1.
That is definitely valid. Based that off of the outdated changeling, but that’s outdated, soo… (: